Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast

Thread: GST...

Default Re: GST...

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    By the way have you collected yor dues?
    Better still how long did your due lasts?

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Better still how long did your due lasts?

../azul123
    Good question.

0 = 0
    1 = 1
    2 = 2
    3 = 3
    ..........a few hundred is a lot in Batam and a few thousands even better!

Let us go for a holiday paid by the ..... why not?

It is better than ZERO.

It is across the whole population.. everyone gets it.

Look at the 'Q' when the annoucement is made!

Money news always spread like w... fire!

By the way have you collected yor dues? What do you do with it?
    That's not my underlying question and you have yet to answer my question.

And maybe I repeat myself, why all the rebates? Why increase the price and take the money from right pocket and then put some back in the right pocket?

Why all the complexities?

A lot of the increases comes from daily expenses, like transport (bus fare, ERP) and utilities. These expenses have direct impact on the life of citizens. What is irritating is that these companies are not exactly facing immediately financial difficulties. Year in year out, record profits being registered.

If transport companies are making a lost because of rising cost (from oil) and after considerable cost cutting measures, they still can't keep themselves afloat, I think everybody will accept the price increase.

And this is what most citizens are gripping about - average citizens are lining the pockets of those directors/shareholders (and its easy to see the biggest shareholders are none other then our government). And so, it goes down to the rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer.

Then may I ask what was the Government message during the election? That they will move the nation together forward? Where is their so call promise to reduce the income gap? I fail to see how this nation is going forward TOGETHER. The income disparity is widening!

They are juicy the poor and then giving them back a part of it (through rebates and what have you). Is that helping them? I think by not juicing them would have been better. Is that too much to ask for?

Good question.

0 = 0
    1 = 1
    2 = 2
    3 = 3
    ..........a few hundred is a lot in Batam and a few thousands even better!

Let us go for a holiday paid by the ..... why not?

It is better than ZERO.
    I think better ZERO and not increase GST.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    I think better ZERO and not increase GST.

../azul123
    GST

Spend more = pay more.

spend less = pay less.

Buy BMW = pay more gst

Buy Kia = pay less gst

GST is about you spend more pay more.

GST

Spend more = pay more.

spend less = pay less.

Buy BMW = pay more gst

Buy Kia = pay less gst

GST is about you spend more pay more.
    orrr I see..

I thought it was to get more tax money from the people.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmore View Post
    That's not my underlying question and you have yet to answer my question.

And maybe I repeat myself, why all the rebates? Why increase the price and take the money from right pocket and then put some back in the right pocket?

Why all the complexities?

A lot of the increases comes from daily expenses, like transport (bus fare, ERP) and utilities. These expenses have direct impact on the life of citizens. What is irritating is that these companies are not exactly facing immediately financial difficulties. Year in year out, record profits being registered.

If transport companies are making a lost because of rising cost (from oil) and after considerable cost cutting measures, they still can't keep themselves afloat, I think everybody will accept the price increase.

And this is what most citizens are gripping about - average citizens are lining the pockets of those directors/shareholders (and its easy to see the biggest shareholders are none other then our government). And so, it goes down to the rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer.

Then may I ask what was the Government message during the election? That they will move the nation together forward? Where is their so call promise to reduce the income gap? I fail to see how this nation is going forward TOGETHER. The income disparity is widening!

They are juicy the poor and then giving them back a part of it (through rebates and what have you). Is that helping them? I think by not juicing them would have been better. Is that too much to ask for?
    How do you define poor. Earning below $1500 in Singapore is considered as poor.

To the construction worker, it is a lot of money.

Price of all thing is on the rise. e.g hawker just increase their intake by 20% or more e.g. from $2.50 to $3.00. They drive big cars and go for long holidays..one hawker put up a notice telling everybody that he is going for a month long holiday in the US with the whole family! Don't you think we should tax(GST) them for that $40,000 trip?

I do uderstand there are poor people in Singapore.

Do you know that a student who come from a poor family can get his or her education totally free and with extras?

He will get free text book, free uniform, no school fees, pocket money and transport allowance plus all the tuition he needs.

I do understand there are poor people in Singapore.

Do you know that a student who come from a poor family can get his or her education totally free and with extras?

He will get free text book, free uniform, no school fees, pocket money and transport allowance plus all the tuition he needs.
    poor can get, but must qualified to be in that category 1st. criterior are tweeked/updated, today 1 may be qualified tomo, not so (& the reverse is true oso).

for GST no matter how rich or how poor oso will have pockets affected. just that with GST factored in, this group now have to pay more even if there is no increase in consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    poor can get, but must qualified to be in that category 1st. criterior are tweeked/updated, today 1 may be qualified tomo, not so (& the reverse is true oso).

for GST no matter how rich or how poor oso will have pockets affected. just that with GST factored in, this group now have to pay more even if there is no increase in consumption.
    Agreed with you. But everyone is collecting tax. I just think that GST is one of the fairer ways to collect tax. Rich or poor so long as you spend. If you spend more you pay more. As I have said earlier, you pay less GST when you take public transport. However, you will need to pay more if you drive a car! Nothing is free in this world.

No tax = no policeman, no army, no school, no teacher, no judge etc

no tax = no bailout

no tax = no bailout

Too chiem, Bailout????

Too chiem, Bailout????
    as chiem as...

... oni mah.

I am all for paying GST. Have been since day one. It is hard to fault it really as it cut the need to tax as many as 75% of the population. And 7% may seem high but in other countries..it is as high as 15%. But yes we should not compare with others. But just for the first reason I brought it it is fair.

I use to remember the heart attack when I open my income tax return each year to see how much I have to pay. Now, my income tax is alot less...or at least it does not give me anymore heart attack.

Like many other nations that have reached a certain level of affluency and evolved "taste" and embrace more sophisticated hobbies and buying habits....the problem is consumerism is at an all time high and still going up. What's with the constant blasting of credit card ads that keeps making you believe in spending and shadowing the dark part of owning money to banks, higher interest rate(then even GST if you have not notice..and recurring on a monthly basis) and how you future is always brighter and thus your income will always be on the up and up so...spend what you can as tomorrow you can earn more to pay back it all back blah blah blah......

This is one of the reasons that has cripple the financial market in the USA and now all over. If anyone is angry with the increase in GST, it might be a percentage of people who feel this is taking away money they could use for spending on aquiring more things. If you really spend on what you need and have a practice and truthful outlook on how much or little money you have to enjoy by what you earn to sustain a certain lifestyle, you find GST is really quite fair. You would not love or cheer for it for sure but it will be fair.

For those younger ones unlike an old bird like me, you folks might not have paid income tax the OLD WAY...if you have...you would not be grumbling about it. BUt hey..as Singaporean goes...aiya.,...sure to grumble and complain about it lah heheh...

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Like many other nations that have reached a certain level of affluency and evolved "taste" and embrace more sophisticated hobbies and buying habits....the problem is consumerism is at an all time high and still going up. What's with the constant blasting of credit card ads that keeps making you believe in spending and shadowing the dark part of owning money to banks, higher interest rate(then even GST if you have not notice..and recurring on a monthly basis) and how you future is always brighter and thus your income will always be on the up and up so...spend what you can as tomorrow you can earn more to pay back it all back blah blah blah......

This is one of the reasons that has cripple the financial market in the USA and now all over. If anyone is angry with the increase in GST, it might be a percentage of people who feel this is taking away money they could use for spending on aquiring more things. If you really spend on what you need and have a practice and truthful outlook on how much or little money you have to enjoy by what you earn to sustain a certain lifestyle, you find GST is really quite fair. You would not love or cheer for it for sure but it will be fair.

For those younger ones unlike an old bird like me, you folks might not have paid income tax the OLD WAY...if you have...you would not be grumbling about it. BUt hey..as Singaporean goes...aiya.,...sure to grumble and complain about it lah heheh...

erh, i am not like that spend spend spend dude u imagine ler... i am not angry about GST (cos not yet adjust upwards)...

... but thanks for making me feel like i am so young!
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 20th October 2008 at 11:08 PM.

Tax is fine... but a 2% point increase when times are bad and with a reported surplus? that is just sick.

../azul123

Not to mention inflation is now very high not seen for many years and prices are hitting for the ceiling.

../azul123

Since we're on the subject of tax..

Government owns Temasek Holdings
    Temasek Holdings owns 54% of SMRT.

From SMRT website I see that they paid 7.75 cents of dividends in 2008, and has 1.5 billion outstanding shares.

Should the $63 million and change (54% * 1.5 billion * 7.75 cents) be considered a form of, or a disguised, tax?

Edit : note that I'm not talking about profit and money needed for capital replacement, maintenance and so on. This is money that the SMRT decided is "excess" and should go back to shareholders as a reward. I'm also not asking if it is right or wrong. Merely asking if it should be considered a form of tax like GST.
    Last edited by lennyl; 21st October 2008 at 05:48 AM.

It seems that almost everything here is owned by the gov.
    I am going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    Since we're on the subject of tax..

Government owns Temasek Holdings
    Temasek Holdings owns 54% of SMRT.

From SMRT website I see that they paid 7.75 cents of dividends in 2008, and has 1.5 billion outstanding shares.

Should the $63 million and change (54% * 1.5 billion * 7.75 cents) be considered a form of, or a disguised, tax?

Edit : note that I'm not talking about profit and money needed for capital replacement, maintenance and so on. This is money that the SMRT decided is "excess" and should go back to shareholders as a reward. I'm also not asking if it is right or wrong. Merely asking if it should be considered a form of tax like GST.
    Corporate pays tax.

All the extras is accountable for.

I believe thet is where you get your debates, Growth ... etc.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast