Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Decission to make abt the lens

  1. #1

    Default Decission to make abt the lens

    hi...i got problem again...since i failed to sell my 18-55 VR kit lens to get my desire 18-135...i would like to keep my lens...18-200vr is too expensive for me...the reason i want to get a more range lens is next week i will go to sarawak....

    so wht will all of u do if u were me....
    1)keep the lens and bought a 55-200VR (for me....lazy to change sometime)
    2)continue to seek for 18-135 and sell the kit lens....
    3)save the money for 18-200vr...

    another thins is i found im not so like to zoom more...mayb i was limited by the lens....
    so i do consider to change my kit to 4)Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 also...

    thx all...

  2. #2

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrkcw View Post
    hi...i got problem again...since i failed to sell my 18-55 VR kit lens to get my desire 18-135...i would like to keep my lens...18-200vr is too expensive for me...the reason i want to get a more range lens is next week i will go to sarawak....

    so wht will all of u do if u were me....
    1)keep the lens and bought a 55-200VR (for me....lazy to change sometime)
    2)continue to seek for 18-135 and sell the kit lens....
    3)save the money for 18-200vr...

    another thins is i found im not so like to zoom more...mayb i was limited by the lens....
    so i do consider to change my kit to 4)Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 also...

    thx all...
    DUDE, if 18-200 is too expensive, then tamron 17-50 f2.8 not too expensive?

    18-135mm kit lens is being sold all over the place in the B&S section for about 300.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    well...the Tamron 17-50 is $300-$400 cheaper....

    but yea, might as well save up for the 18-200VR, provided you don't need a fast lens



    as for me, since i'm going into concert photography...i need a fast lens..so i'll get the tammy 1st

  4. #4

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    well...the Tamron 17-50 is $300-$400 cheaper....

    but yea, might as well save up for the 18-200VR, provided you don't need a fast lens



    as for me, since i'm going into concert photography...i need a fast lens..so i'll get the tammy 1st
    true. well holidays tend to require less fast lenses (unless you suay suay kenna monsoon seasonish weather)

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    if you selling your kit lens at 200, surely got some ppl will buy one, since is already a very low-ball price.
    if you need more cash for your next lens purchase, then i suggest you go find a temp-job instead.
    hoping to get more for your kit lens is not that easy especially when plenty of them selling it right now.

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    how many time you really need the extra range beyond 55mm seriously?

    does it really justify to change your lens if money is an issue?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    how many time you really need the extra range beyond 55mm seriously?

    does it really justify to change your lens if money is an issue?
    seldom....only use it in church to shoot ppl potrait....actually i want a 85mm f/1.8...but my camera cannot focus on tht.....mine is nikon d60...so sianz...consider change my camera...maybe a 2nd hand D80..

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrkcw View Post
    seldom....only use it in church to shoot ppl potrait....actually i want a 85mm f/1.8...but my camera cannot focus on tht.....mine is nikon d60...so sianz...consider change my camera...maybe a 2nd hand D80..
    if seldom, just shoot whatever you can and crop it.

    imagine a $300 lens, using it less than 10 time a year, cost is $30 per use, top up a little more you can rent a 70~210 f2.8 for a day to play.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    Er, why not just get the 55-200 VR? The whole point of an SLR system is to change lenses according to relevant usage. The right lens for the right job.

    If your only excuse for not getting the lens is "lazy to change", maybe a change of mentality would do you better.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    [QUOTE=calebk;4277454]Er, why not just get the 55-200 VR? The whole point of an SLR system is to change lenses according to relevant usage. The right lens for the right job.

    If your only excuse for not getting the lens is "lazy to change", maybe a change of mentality would do you better.[/QUO
    i consider to get nikon 18-135 for extra range and cheaper than 18-200....and i want to get a prime...but cannot auto focus in my lens....another question is wht is the purpose to get a flash???if i seldom shoot in concert...etc...should i need a flash...thx

  11. #11

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    [QUOTE=Mrkcw;4279712]
    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Er, why not just get the 55-200 VR? The whole point of an SLR system is to change lenses according to relevant usage. The right lens for the right job.

    If your only excuse for not getting the lens is "lazy to change", maybe a change of mentality would do you better.[/QUO
    i consider to get nikon 18-135 for extra range and cheaper than 18-200....and i want to get a prime...but cannot auto focus in my lens....another question is wht is the purpose to get a flash???if i seldom shoot in concert...etc...should i need a flash...thx

    i tink u are very very confused.

    please, stop thinking about buying anything, bring your camera and kit lens out and shoot some real pics.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    i think TS is more handicapped by his mindset than his cam.

    if you know d60 couldn't AF with cheap nikon primes, then you shouldn't buy it in the 1st place.
    i know what i was getting into when i bought the d40, that is lack of AF with primes.

    the tarmon lens is good but are you willing to pay 620 for it ?
    be it d60 or d80 the new tarmon version of 17-50mm f2.8 comes with lens motor so surely will AF one on the d60.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrkcw View Post
    i consider to get nikon 18-135 for extra range and cheaper than 18-200....and i want to get a prime...but cannot auto focus in my lens....another question is wht is the purpose to get a flash???if i seldom shoot in concert...etc...should i need a flash...thx
    Erm, is it not obvious enough that if you don't know the purpose for buying something, you don't need it and hence you should not buy it?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Erm, is it not obvious enough that if you don't know the purpose for buying something, you don't need it and hence you should not buy it?
    It's always nice to have new toys.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    It's always nice to have new toys.
    good point (i'm a little guilty of that too )


    to TS: really can't help you here you need to decide for yourself.What's your budget btw?



    as for what a flash does, a flash is essentially essential. you buy a SB-900 and take WOW pictures with it

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    487

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    I've got a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm; and in the last 4 months, the number of times I've found it necessary to change from one of these two lens to the other can be counted on one hand... maybe.

    In all seriousness, I've found the 18-55mm to suit 90% of the (general) photography I do as an amateur. The only shoots I require longer reach of 200mm are also the times I don't need the 18-55mm at all.
    Last edited by Wzierbovsky; 22nd August 2008 at 07:59 AM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    i think TS is more handicapped by his mindset than his cam.

    if you know d60 couldn't AF with cheap nikon primes, then you shouldn't buy it in the 1st place.
    i know what i was getting into when i bought the d40, that is lack of AF with primes.

    the tarmon lens is good but are you willing to pay 620 for it ?
    be it d60 or d80 the new tarmon version of 17-50mm f2.8 comes with lens motor so surely will AF one on the d60.

    i knw cannot auto focus...but at that time i bought...i dun knw anything abt the lens...haiz...

  18. #18

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    It's always nice to have new toys.
    hahaha...super agree with u.....feel happy once got a new toys evan maybe not really knw how to use....

  19. #19

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Wzierbovsky View Post
    I've got a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm; and in the last 4 months, the number of times I've found it necessary to change from one of these two lens to the other can be counted on one hand... maybe.

    In all seriousness, I've found the 18-55mm to suit 90% of the (general) photography I do as an amateur. The only shoots I require longer reach of 200mm are also the times I don't need the 18-55mm at all.
    thx....sometime i use my kit lens and wanna a more range...so consider to bring one lens cover my more range(sometime)...so it weill be cheaper after i sell my kit lens and fund a 18-135,,,haha...how do u think???thx

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Balestier
    Posts
    568

    Default Re: Decission to make abt the lens

    i tink you shud get the 55-250VR...having such a big difference in focal length for the 18-135 or 18-200 will affect the IQ as you probably already know...in the long run i'm sure you'll regret buying the 18-135 or 18-200...juz my opinion
    LightSide Shooter
    flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •