Thread: Advice on Disco/Clubbing Shoots

Default Advice on Disco/Clubbing Shoots

Would like advice from seniors here...

am trying to take photos in a club setting...they have laser lights/smoke ...and have dancing people..live band etc

was thinking using Manual Setting, 1600 ISO, Direct flash with -1 or 2 setting, 1/15 - 1/30 speed....

can it work out?

tried before but seems setting wrong at 400 ISO, Bounced Flash, 1/2 - 1/10 speed - pictures turned out bad with shaky hands - double image / multiple lights and uneven lasers.....

note..using 400D, 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM... or maybe I should use 50mm F1.8?
    Last edited by Wibblo; 19th August 2008 at 11:14 AM.
    Nikon D300s, 50mm, 18-105mm, Sigma 30mm F1.4, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8, Samyang 8mm F3.5

Default Re: Advice on Disco/Clubbing Shoots

me thinks you need a faster shutter speed and higher iso.

Yeah, shutter speed too slow.

Buy a D3 and shoot at ISO25600. Then don't have to worry about slow shutter speed.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

thanks for advice...will need to strike this Wednesday's 1st price in 4D in order to change to dark side...
    Nikon D300s, 50mm, 18-105mm, Sigma 30mm F1.4, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8, Samyang 8mm F3.5

Try setting ur flash to sec curtain sync. Its great effects!
    Just shoot.

I shot at Ngee Ann Poly's Redcamp Jam & Hop event last year, mainly with a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6. You'd want a wide lens for a more photojourn approach and to be closer to the action. I shot with something like f/4, 1/60s and direct flash.

I was totally not counting on the house lights to give me any sort of help here, so everything was flash. Turns out most of the stuff is quite well-exposed.

im a full-time club shooter. your settings of "using Manual Setting, 1600 ISO, Direct flash with -1 or 2 setting, 1/15 - 1/30 speed...." will serve you fine. Try going down as slow as 1/6 or 1/8 to catch more of the backlight effects for interesting shots but if you are in the dancefloor where light is jumping around all over your subject then you will want to bring up the shutterspeed to around 1/10 to 1/15... these are my recommended settings at iso 1600 and shooting wide open. try to dial in -0.3 to -0.7 for your flash power. if its too harsh (hotspots on the face), try using a flash diffuser...

gd luck n have fun.

thx ungku, cute and caleb...

caleb - am able to achieve about 80% of your shots' effects...as I am able to go up stage and also DJ counter...flash is no problem...sort of like top down shots......will aim for close proximity too...

cute - good reminder...last week forgotten to change to 2nd curtain sync...called in at last minute...too rush hence forgetting to set it up....

ungku - most appreciated ... pictures kept having double images which cannot be used...angle ok...lasers ok..but speed.../sigh...

will try it out on Ladies night...

I wouldn't advise on the 50 1.8, although it has a large aperture you won't get enough free space to frame properly with it.. I find the 17-55 2.8 IS an almost perfect solution for disco/clubbing shoot..

this was at 17mm f/2.8 1/30 ISO 1600 with 2nd curtain sync flash.. f/2.8 lets in more ambient and also keeps the shutter speed high enough so as not to get too much motion blur.. maybe you can try renting it?

Wibblo, just curious, how did u get permission to shoot in clubs? I usually require permission and thats only because im shooting for my company.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    I wouldn't advise on the 50 1.8, although it has a large aperture you won't get enough free space to frame properly with it.. I find the 17-55 2.8 IS an almost perfect solution for disco/clubbing shoot..

this was at 17mm f/2.8 1/30 ISO 1600 with 2nd curtain sync flash.. f/2.8 lets in more ambient and also keeps the shutter speed high enough so as not to get too much motion blur.. maybe you can try renting it?
    Will try renting one ... thx J-Chan...

Ungku..me sort of asked to help shoot at one club

I have a similar problem as well (started a thread in this corner to ask abt this also), not at a club though but at a pub where there's a live band playing. But can it be done without the flash? Cos I tink it would be quite distracting and rude to others and the band members if my flash just go blinking away most of the time.

Here's one of the pic I took:

But the exposure is a little off. Comes out more yellow than I wanted it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by cavemonkey View Post
    I have a similar problem as well (started a thread in this corner to ask abt this also), not at a club though but at a pub where there's a live band playing. But can it be done without the flash? Cos I tink it would be quite distracting and rude to others and the band members if my flash just go blinking away most of the time.

Here's one of the pic I took:

But the exposure is a little off. Comes out more yellow than I wanted it to be.
    other than the very yellow tone, i think thats a rather nice shot. interesting compostition, but it could do with a smidgen more exposure. if you can't use a flash (and yes, it can be rather rude to fire) then no choice, bump up the iso, apeture wide open, slow down your shutter speed a bit. oh and shoot in raw if you're unsure of the WB, then you can change it later.

cavemonkey, no offence intended to you, but you already got answers on your own thread, so why hijack someone else's thread? It's not very nice.

haha sorry abt tt. I was just abt to del my Q. I abit too spontenous in firing off too many Qs and not noticing who I fired at. I apologise to everyone in this thread and whoever is offended by it.

To calebk: A side Q: Are you from Ngee Ann by any chance?
    Last edited by cavemonkey; 20th August 2008 at 11:11 AM.

no worries...we all just wanna learn

Quote Originally Posted by cavemonkey View Post
    haha sorry abt tt. I was just abt to del my Q. I abit too spontenous in firing off too many Qs and not noticing who I fired at. I apologise to everyone in this thread and whoever is offended by it.

To calebk: A side Q: Are you from Ngee Ann by any chance?
    Yup, third year.