Thread: need help with installing Win XP

Exclamation need help with installing Win XP

hi folks,

i'm planning to upgrade from Win ME to Win XP pro. but firstly i got some issues to work out...

1. i got 2 harddisks (3 partitions altogether) and all are FAT32. once i install Win XP in NTFS how would i be able to transfer my data from a FAT32 hdd to a NTFS hdd??

2. if i install win xp as a 2nd OS, how to remove my old OS (the win ME) ??

i'm trying to avoid burning all my data cos that would be too many cd-r to use...

thanks a lot!!!

Default Re: need help with installing Win XP

Originally posted by BoXXer
    hi folks,

i'm planning to upgrade from Win ME to Win XP pro. but firstly i got some issues to work out...

1. i got 2 harddisks (3 partitions altogether) and all are FAT32. once i install Win XP in NTFS how would i be able to transfer my data from a FAT32 hdd to a NTFS hdd??

2. if i install win xp as a 2nd OS, how to remove my old OS (the win ME) ??

i'm trying to avoid burning all my data cos that would be too many cd-r to use...

thanks a lot!!!
    1: winxp can see fat32. No issue here.

2: are u going to upgrade your ME or keep your ME? from your statement "if i install win xp as a 2nd OS" , it means you want dual boot. If you don't want dual boot, just overwrite the partition that contains winme when you install xp.

Default Re: Re: need help with installing Win XP

Originally posted by ninelives
    1: winxp can see fat32. No issue here.

2: are u going to upgrade your ME or keep your ME? from your statement "if i install win xp as a 2nd OS" , it means you want dual boot. If you don't want dual boot, just overwrite the partition that contains winme when you install xp.
    ok now i got a little problem...

installed xp as my 2nd os on a different partition. i then removed that harddisk so its no more connected. then i installed xp on the main partition where the ME used to be.

now whenever i boot up i see windows prompting me to select 2 OS. and both are win XP.

how do i remove the second "OS" which isn't there??

thanks!

Default Re: Re: Re: need help with installing Win XP

how do i remove the second "OS" which isn't there??

thanks!

edit your boot.ini in C:\ . it is hidden and read only mode. which one is the correct one? 1st ? then delete the 2nd line.

it worked!! thanks a lot ninelives!

it worked!! thanks a lot ninelives!
    no problem man.