Thread: Tokina Filters

Default Tokina Filters

i'm planning to get a Tokina 52 mm CIR PL and a Tokina 58 mm UV filter soon. are tokina filters good? anybody using them? please help me out. it's $20 and $6 respectively.

Many Thanks!

Default Re: Tokina Filters

Quote Originally Posted by benedetto13 View Post
    i'm planning to get a Tokina 52 mm CIR PL and a Tokina 58 mm UV filter soon. are tokina filters good? anybody using them? please help me out. it's $20 and $6 respectively.

Many Thanks!
    i got mine for $10 as i got my first dlsr on that day.
    well atleast its good for beginner, protected and secured.
    got from CP.
    Nikon D300s|D80|11-16 f2.8|17-50 f2.8|70-200 f2.8|35 f1.8|SB800|

I have heard(though i'm not sure it's true) that Hoya outsources production of their filters to Tokina, so technically the quality should be the same as the Hoyas.

Regardless, in actual use I've found Tokina filters to be quite satisfactory.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

I find that their polarizers are not as dark as Hoya and other brands... If you have xtra $$ go for hoya instead
    D300::Sigma 24 1.8::Nikon 50mm 1.8G::Nikon 85mm 1.4D::Tokina 90MM 2.5::Nikon 70-200MM 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned View Post
    I have heard(though i'm not sure it's true) that Hoya outsources production of their filters to Tokina, so technically the quality should be the same as the Hoyas.

Regardless, in actual use I've found Tokina filters to be quite satisfactory.
    thanks bro!

Quote Originally Posted by xwing76 View Post
    I find that their polarizers are not as dark as Hoya and other brands... If you have xtra $$ go for hoya instead
    is $20bucks for the polarizer filter cheap? i was thinking would the image have a great difference if i put it on, cz i've seen many examples of with and without polarizer. so if it doesnt show much of a difference, then there's no point right?

The one and only time I used a Tokina filter was on my 50mm f/1.8. It caused so much ghosting and flaring that from then on I used it without a filter.

I recommend at the very least to go for Hoya. While Hoya, Kenko and Tokina apparently are all under the same company, Hoya and Kenko still are seemingly a cut above Tokina when it comes to filter production. Hold the filter in your hand and you already feel the difference in build quality.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    The one and only time I used a Tokina filter was on my 50mm f/1.8. It caused so much ghosting and flaring that from then on I used it without a filter.

I recommend at the very least to go for Hoya. While Hoya, Kenko and Tokina apparently are all under the same company, Hoya and Kenko still are seemingly a cut above Tokina when it comes to filter production. Hold the filter in your hand and you already feel the difference in build quality.
    thats becos hoya and kenko do "value-added" services like multi-coating... iirc, most if not all Tokina filter are uncoated and at very low cost.

I've been using Hoya UV and CPL so far so good but the CPL seems not strong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by icem4n View Post
    I've been using Hoya UV and CPL so far so good but the CPL seems not strong enough.
    What do you mean by 'not strong enough'?

Not sure about tokina uv filters, but the CPLs suck..if u have the money, please do not buy it....get something better...

i had the experience of seeing myself the inferior quality of kenko CPLs at TK foto...james was kind enough to open one...he put it onto a lens cloth cleaner with words printed on it...and u could see that the words were not sharp...it actually turned out slightly blury....whereas the other,(a kenko Pro1 D CPL) gave a sharp see through of the words....so YES...there is really a difference...and a big one of course...but if u are on a budget and just want a CPL ....sure go ahead but do keep this in mind and upgrade next time when u have the budget to....kenko is reasonably good i suppose...but have since move up to B+W...best lesson learnt so far...if u can afford the best, go for it from the start, u end up saving more money =)

Quote Originally Posted by tanjonhan View Post
    Not sure about tokina uv filters, but the CPLs suck..if u have the money, please do not buy it....get something better...

i had the experience of seeing myself the inferior quality of kenko CPLs at TK foto...james was kind enough to open one...he put it onto a lens cloth cleaner with words printed on it...and u could see that the words were not sharp...it actually turned out slightly blury....whereas the other,(a kenko Pro1 D CPL) gave a sharp see through of the words....so YES...there is really a difference...and a big one of course...but if u are on a budget and just want a CPL ....sure go ahead but do keep this in mind and upgrade next time when u have the budget to....kenko is reasonably good i suppose...but have since move up to B+W...best lesson learnt so far...if u can afford the best, go for it from the start, u end up saving more money =)
    is that the correct way of ascertaining the quality of filters? i'm not sure since i've taken countless shots with a cheap Tokina filter and none of them turned out blurry when the focus is good.

no offence but it does seem a little like sales talk to me....