Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camera Phone

Default Re: Camera Phone

Quote Originally Posted by a.c.e View Post
    hihi!
    i'am another SE user. since the last erricsson T68.
    well, for me they are really good phones.
    i also heard that nokia phones are bad at software nowdays.(alot problem with it)
    at least i got no problem with my SE.
    er......are your friend who comment on SE were using nokia or samsung???
    (user from these brand that i had met, mostly say bad comment about SE, and most of them did not even had try it.) thinks they are not being fair to SE.
    My friend did buy a 3G SE phone and his comments were great for everything except phone. Ditched the phone after 6 months, currently using Nokia phone. He sits at the next cubicle so I had seen the struggles he had with that phone.

Example - to activate speaker phone is a 2 step process going through UI. Hope this has changed.

But that's history.

Recently (like last 2 years) I had issue with the Symbian system - had to send phone back to Nokia twice to reset the phone, like update firm ware. Then some corrosion set in and could not charge, no problem, charge using another phone then replace battery. Then corrosion (like cancer) went to the mic, no problem, use blue tooth to over come that. Then the receiver also gone. And less than 1 year old. Was a N70.

Since then I dropped back to a basic phone, 1.3M camera, but the output is like completely useless.

This is Nokia bashing from a 10-year Nokia user.

My personal dislike was from older days where my Sony CD/LD/minicompo player laser heads die shortly after warranty, as did my Sony PDA dead soon after expiry of warranty. And MS very ex compared to generic memory cards.

OT liao.

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    This may be useful to you PreciousP:
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/prod...cc_pid=0&pid=0
    Thanks. Really appreciate this.

[QUOTE=teebs;4272878]Another pic taken at a restaurant of my cousin's baby gal during lunch. Without flash.

N82 is widely acknowledged to be one of the best camera phones in the market right now. One thing to take note of is that you should never compare the quality of the pics taken from the N82 to that taken from a 5MP [QUOTE]

Thanks so much. The pictures are very useable, would meet my needs.

But so much encouragement from SE camp, and with my more recent less-than-pleasant experience with Nokia I am quite tempted to try one of the SE phone cameras. Cybershot series... Akan datang...

Well you have to make your own decision. For me though, I'm already very used to the Nokia interface so I still prefer Nokia. I have used some of my friends Cybershots and I don't find their interface user friendly.

But frankly, even though the phone cam is 5MP, the resolution is still pretty low compared to 5MP digicams. e.g. the full size photo from the N82 is only ard 800-900Kb. The same photo taken with my 6MP S3IS comes to 2-3Mb...

Quote Originally Posted by teebs View Post
    Well you have to make your own decision. For me though, I'm already very used to the Nokia interface so I still prefer Nokia. I have used some of my friends Cybershots and I don't find their interface user friendly.

But frankly, even though the phone cam is 5MP, the resolution is still pretty low compared to 5MP digicams. e.g. the full size photo from the N82 is only ard 800-900Kb. The same photo taken with my 6MP S3IS comes to 2-3Mb...
    I am tempted to close this thread, as it has more or less served the purpose.

I too am used to the Nokia UI. But the negative experience is quite something.

Phone cameras AFAIK use quite aggressive compression to bring the file size down. Try setting your S3IS to something like basic for compression you might see similar file size.

Another drawback is the size of the lens, and many of the camera phone lenses are made of plastic - seen them molded at the factory before. And size of sensor.

Bottom line - think we must be realistic. Your output posted here are IMHO probably the best level that can be expected and I am pleased with them. If I do not like the SE C series I will consider N82.

Thank you...

Yes, I know that camera phones use pretty aggressive compression to bring the file size down. That is why the max size you can print is around 4R to 6R. Any larger and the picture will become very soft.

Other than the size of the lens, the size of the sensor and the fact that they only have digital zooms is also an issue. But I do agree with you that the N82 output is pretty amazing for a 5MP camera phone. The flash is also very powerful for a camera phone.

With regards to MS card, you can get a Micro SD to MS adaptor and after you format the micro SD card in the MS adaptor, it becomes a MS card. It will be much cheaper than just buying a MS card but only drawback is that the adaptor is only able to recognize micro SD cards up to 2GB in size. I am actually using one for my PSP.
    Last edited by teebs; 19th August 2008 at 06:07 PM.

SE phones use M2 cards not MS.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    SE phones use M2 cards not MS.
    Another one of those... Why can't SE use what's in common circulation but create a proprietary memory card....

One of those things I can't stand...

Quote Originally Posted by PreciousP View Post
    Another one of those... Why can't SE use what's in common circulation but create a proprietary memory card....

One of those things I can't stand...
    Agree, one of the downside of Sony products.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

From technical point of view, phone camera's are quite different from normal CAMERAs. They have rolling shutter mechanism, and also have the digital logic fabricated next to sensor array. Since they have size limitation, they just try to squeeze everything which results in v v high noise....... true for all phone cameras..... some slightly better though....... the major difference is in their PP ( yes.. they have a lot of tuning to make image look good)...

On the other hand, normal cameras are based on shutter mechanism.. i.e. all pixels are exposed at same time.... they also don't have space constraint, hence don't populate the sensor array. Also the sensor size is many times of camera sensors.......so if u are used to Cameras (esp DSLR), better dont spend penny for cam in phone..... it's highly probably that u'll won't be satisfied.....so y waste money in that..........save to lenses....hahahaha
    Canon 5D mk II /50 f/1.8, 24-105 f/4 IS L, 70-200 f4 IS L, 580EX II
    My Flickr

That's because Sony Erricson uses Sony technology and all Sony products will use MS or M2 cards which are developed by Sony. It's the same for Olympus where all Olympus digicams use XD card which was developed by Olympus.

Quote Originally Posted by gumnaam View Post
    From technical point of view, phone camera's are quite different from normal CAMERAs. They have rolling shutter mechanism, and also have the digital logic fabricated next to sensor array. Since they have size limitation, they just try to squeeze everything which results in v v high noise....... true for all phone cameras..... some slightly better though....... the major difference is in their PP ( yes.. they have a lot of tuning to make image look good)...

On the other hand, normal cameras are based on shutter mechanism.. i.e. all pixels are exposed at same time.... they also don't have space constraint, hence don't populate the sensor array. Also the sensor size is many times of camera sensors.......so if u are used to Cameras (esp DSLR), better dont spend penny for cam in phone..... it's highly probably that u'll won't be satisfied.....so y waste money in that..........save to lenses....hahahaha
    End of the day usage of camera phone is totally different from digicam or DSLRs. I do not think that there is any possibility of camera phones replacing digicams and even less so DSLRs. Camera phones are useful for taking spontaneous/candid pics of friends/relatives etc and for sharing of pics between friends.
    Last edited by teebs; 19th August 2008 at 09:12 PM.

End of the day usage of camera phone is totally different from digicam or DSLRs. I do not think that there is any possibility of camera phones replacing digicams and even less so DSLRs. Camera phones are useful for taking spontaneous/candid pics of friends/relatives etc and for sharing of pics between friends.
    I second that. My dream combi is a D700 plus a f/2.8 lens that allows me to zoom from 20-150mm, but that won't happen, even if there is such a lens and even if I can afford it.

So there will be days for the serious shooting where my D300 plus MB-D10 will come out, along with what precious lenses I can pack into the camera back. And probably break my back in the process.

Then there are the days when I will pack my D60 plus either the kit lens or 18-70 or 18-135, for the more casual family outing.

And the D60 with a 35mm f/2 or 20mm f/2.8 (have to manual focus) when I take short work trips but want to be able to grab some shots in the evening.

The rest of the time, I hope to rely on a camera phone to give me that shots that will populate some of the pages of my photo album with spontaneous shots when no DSLR is around.

Hence the quest for a decent camera phone that is with me almost 100% of the time. No more than photos that can go to 4R album, plus the ppt file for work or other presentations.

Have started enquiring about SE phones, went to shop to see them. But will take a long slow process - try to see a few samples from friends and try them out.

But I am quite sold to the idea of a SE phone, maybe a Cxxx or a Wxxx.
    Last edited by PreciousP; 19th August 2008 at 09:57 PM.

That's because Sony Erricson uses Sony technology and all Sony products will use MS or M2 cards which are developed by Sony. It's the same for Olympus where all Olympus digicams use XD card which was developed by Olympus.
    Actually, the Sony memorystick was co-developed by Sony and Sandisk. And the quality and read/write speeds are quite good.
    Alpha

The W980 looks sweet! But for camera, I suggest the K850i or the newer C90X series.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    The W980 looks sweet! But for camera, I suggest the K850i or the newer C90X series.
    I will note the model numbers. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Actually, the Sony memorystick was co-developed by Sony and Sandisk. And the quality and read/write speeds are quite good.
    The trouble with these formats (MS and xD) is the hardware incompatibility. I'll need that extra card reader while my current card reader takes SD and CF. And if I buy that SE phone I will have 4 different formats for memory cards - I actually have a mju for those wet moments.

The trouble with these formats (MS and xD) is the hardware incompatibility. I'll need that extra card reader while my current card reader takes SD and CF. And if I buy that SE phone I will have 4 different formats for memory cards - I actually have a mju for those wet moments.
    You could actually get a all in one card reader to reduce the number of card readers you require. Previously I also had an Olympus camera, 720SW but sold it off as I didn't really like the quality of pics taken with the cam. Probably too used to Canon already...

So now using SD and MS cards (for my PSP)...

You could actually get a all in one card reader to reduce the number of card readers you require. Previously I also had an Olympus camera, 720SW but sold it off as I didn't really like the quality of pics taken with the cam. Probably too used to Canon already...

So now using SD and MS cards (for my PSP)...
    My laptop has a PCMCIA slot that has a CF adaptor from a long time ago, plus an SD card slot. So if I stay with CF and SD there is no reader I need to carry. So one can see my frustration.

I don't like the mju quality as well, but nothing beats having a dunkable camera when you are in a wet situation - like on a boat in the Philippines snorkeling, or canoeing at MacRitchie. So this camera is now more or less reserved for the wet moments only. I have a Canon compact with housing but just so troublesome to bring to the sea. And the Canon sure beats the Olympus head on, side ways, in reverse gear, in whatever manner.
    Last edited by PreciousP; 20th August 2008 at 09:48 AM.

My laptop has a PCMCIA slot that has a CF adaptor from a long time ago, plus an SD card slot. So if I stay with CF and SD there is no reader I need to carry. So one can see my frustration.

I don't like the mju quality as well, but nothing beats having a dunkable camera when you are in a wet situation - like on a boat in the Philippines snorkeling, or canoeing at MacRitchie. So this camera is now more or less reserved for the wet moments only. I have a Canon compact with housing but just so troublesome to bring to the sea. And the Canon sure beats the Olympus head on, side ways, in reverse gear, in whatever manner.
    Well, I guess you dun really have a choice if you want to get the SE phone...

You just have to get an additional card reader just for the SE phone. I used to use the Oly for snorkelling but after a while, I got so pissed off with the quality that I just bit the bullet and bought a case for my IXUS 800.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast