Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

Thread: Camera Phone

  1. #1

    Default Camera Phone

    Hi,

    Anyone knows what's the current king of camera phones, that a DSLR user may be pleased with?

    TIA.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    Any phone? As long as, it is only used for calling, sms......

  3. #3

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    文不对题。

  4. #4

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    Try Sony Ericsson. They are sony cameras turned into phones.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by checkers View Post
    Try Sony Ericsson. They are sony cameras turned into phones.
    I was told they work great as cameras but not so great as phones...

    Thanks.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    i use sony erricson, works well as phone & cam

  7. #7

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by PreciousP View Post
    I was told they work great as cameras but not so great as phones...

    Thanks.
    Who says that? They work fine for me.
    Meow!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    605

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    I think SonyEricsson makes better camera phones (or is it phone cameras)...supposedly from their Cybershot technology. My wife uses it to shoot baby pics and they turn out good enough for 4R prints.

    If you want to get one soon, wait a while for the Sony Ericsson C905 'cos it got a 8.1 megapixel camera! Saw this a UK photo mag recently.


  9. #9
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    A lot of people have this misconception that the Sony Ericsson phones are no where comparable to other brands which they are using currently or preferred. I have used different brands of phones varying from the big phone makers to the small players. I had used Ericsson then Sony Ericsson and it was a vast difference since Sony came into the picture. I agree that in the Ericsson era, the phones were not as user friendly and it's a total different story now. I have been using Sony Ericsson for years and it has been able to meet my needs. Perhaps you should take a walk along Orchard Road or the busy streets and look around to see how many people are using Sony Ericsson to see how popular they are.

    Maybe you should also try it out instead of hearing from others who may be giving you feedback based on their 'perception'.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  10. #10

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    Sorry to have to say this, it is one thing to see lots of people using it, quite another to hear from fellow photogs their opinion about the camera phones or phone cameras. If one were to walk by Orchard Road and see what cameras everyone is using then buy that it is not going to be of much use, is it?

    And it wasn't hearing someone's perception, it was his phone and he condemned it as a phone, but love the camera.

    Trying out doesn't quite work, where to get a camera phone to shot for an afternoon and decide?

    I guess I should put in 2 criteria:

    1. Sufficient resolution for 4R print and presentation slides like ppt for the occassional grab shots.
    2. Sufficiently user friendly, both as a phone and as a camera.

    I am willing to consider any brand, perhaps a SE would be it, or a Nokia, or LG. Feedback or research information would be most useful.

    But I would shy away from 8 Megapixels for (a) such small pixel density on a camera phone is probably going to be noisy, but I am willing to see if there is review samples photos; (b) I will need a big MS for such a camera.

    I think ideally between 4-5 Megapixel would be nice.

    I had a N70 that was pretty good, but the phone got corroded easily and Nokia refused to repair it, even within warranty. My present 1.3 megapixel Nokia camera is, in one word, terrible. A bit weary about Nokia....
    Last edited by PreciousP; 18th August 2008 at 04:12 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    Well, the Nokia phones have never had any good cams (ok for normal user). For better optics, Sony Ericsson is the brand you should look for.

  12. #12
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,124

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    I would rather use a phone as a phone and get a proper camera to shoot pics. I have the Olympus SP-560 uz as my daily walkabout cam and my Pentax K10D and Super A as my hobby cams.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  13. #13

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by checkers View Post
    Well, the Nokia phones have never had any good cams (ok for normal user). For better optics, Sony Ericsson is the brand you should look for.
    Thanks for the pointer.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by PreciousP View Post
    Sorry to have to say this, it is one thing to see lots of people using it, quite another to hear from fellow photogs their opinion about the camera phones or phone cameras. If one were to walk by Orchard Road and see what cameras everyone is using then buy that it is not going to be of much use, is it?

    And it wasn't hearing someone's perception, it was his phone and he condemned it as a phone, but love the camera.

    Trying out doesn't quite work, where to get a camera phone to shot for an afternoon and decide?

    I guess I should put in 2 criteria:

    1. Sufficient resolution for 4R print and presentation slides like ppt for the occassional grab shots.
    2. Sufficiently user friendly, both as a phone and as a camera.

    I am willing to consider any brand, perhaps a SE would be it, or a Nokia, or LG. Feedback or research information would be most useful.

    But I would shy away from 8 Megapixels for (a) such small pixel density on a camera phone is probably going to be noisy, but I am willing to see if there is review samples photos; (b) I will need a big MS for such a camera.

    I think ideally between 4-5 Megapixel would be nice.

    I had a N70 that was pretty good, but the phone got corroded easily and Nokia refused to repair it, even within warranty. My present 1.3 megapixel Nokia camera is, in one word, terrible. A bit weary about Nokia....
    Well, if you see a lot of people using it, it can't be too far off. Trying it would mean like making a trip to the phone service providers or even Sony itself to try out the phone's capabilities and interface.

    If your friend's complaining, maybe you can tell us what is the complain about cos so far I think most users are pretty happy with SE phones. Not sure if your friend's set has manufacture defacts.

    You mentioned about corrosion on your phone. I have got pretty bad sweaty palms and the buttons on my SE phone will corrode as well, but the phone still functions perfectly. Maybe you would want to note that too. (Anyway, I change my phone almost every year, so it doesn't bother me).
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  15. #15

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    I would rather use a phone as a phone and get a proper camera to shoot pics. I have the Olympus SP-560 uz as my daily walkabout cam and my Pentax K10D and Super A as my hobby cams.
    Well, the purpose is to get a phone that can double up as a camera for that grab shot at any time. I am using D300 as hobby cam and D60 as the small-slip-in-the-suitcase cam for the short work trips and casual family outing.

    This phone camera is to go everywhere I go for the grab shot when the I-would-not-have-a-camera situations.

    Looks like all voting for SE so far. What about the LG that's heavily advertised on TV?

  16. #16
    Member MarkTan89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Boon Keng
    Posts
    591

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    Nokia N82 looks good (not literally because I think it's quite ugly), especially in black. The specs are quite mouth-watering too

    - 5MP CCD sensor with Carl Zeiss optics with Xenon flash
    - VGA video recording
    - Built in Wi-Fi
    - GPS navigation

  17. #17
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,124

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by PreciousP View Post
    Well, the purpose is to get a phone that can double up as a camera for that grab shot at any time. I am using D300 as hobby cam and D60 as the small-slip-in-the-suitcase cam for the short work trips and casual family outing.

    This phone camera is to go everywhere I go for the grab shot when the I-would-not-have-a-camera situations.

    Looks like all voting for SE so far. What about the LG that's heavily advertised on TV?
    Go for SE or the Nokia N82
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  18. #18

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Well, if you see a lot of people using it, it can't be too far off. Trying it would mean like making a trip to the phone service providers or even Sony itself to try out the phone's capabilities and interface.

    If your friend's complaining, maybe you can tell us what is the complain about cos so far I think most users are pretty happy with SE phones. Not sure if your friend's set has manufacture defacts.

    You mentioned about corrosion on your phone. I have got pretty bad sweaty palms and the buttons on my SE phone will corrode as well, but the phone still functions perfectly. Maybe you would want to note that too. (Anyway, I change my phone almost every year, so it doesn't bother me).
    Getting OT here. No debating about how good SE is.

    Looking for advise on models to look for and how good is the camera, as long as the phone is decent.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    Go for SE or the Nokia N82
    That's 2 votes for N82. Not sure if it is based on paper spec.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Camera Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMacro View Post
    I think SonyEricsson makes better camera phones (or is it phone cameras)...supposedly from their Cybershot technology. My wife uses it to shoot baby pics and they turn out good enough for 4R prints.
    Which model is your wife's phone?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •