Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

  1. #1

    Unhappy No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    Been trying for 2 hours, very frustrated.

    At first I try the lens paper way, one piece wet with alcohol, wipe, then the dry piece finish up. No joy, there is always alcohol drying stains somewhere.

    Then I try using cloth instead, same!

    I am tearing my hair out in frustration. Nearly run a 100m dash to bang head. I know there must be a similar thread somewhere, but I couldn't find my answer after a search.

    I am using those free cleaning kits, no brand lens paper...

    Will buying a lens pen help?

    The most worrying thing is, did I destroy my filter coating? Hoya HMC...
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  2. #2

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    Don't try too hard on a Hoya

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    Try a lenspen. Does wonders.

    This is why I am strongly against no brand lens paper and any liquid lens cleaning agents. You never know what they will do to your optical coatings.

  4. #4

    Red face Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    hmm... have been using those pure alchohol from guardian. seems to work fine.. i suppose as long a the substance is not a composite liquid of various compounds should be quite safe ba.

    Lens Pen? where to get it? maybe i should try too.... i have the same prob with TS as the Hoya filters seem never be cleaned totally... which is why nowadays i compromise lor...
    Canon: 5DMKIII & 40D|17-40L|70-200f4ISL|100Macro|Sigma30|580EXII| Olympus: EP3|25mm f1.4

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Jurong
    Posts
    524

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    Get a clean,lint free cloth and/or tissue paper

    Get a cup of warm water

    Check to make sure no dust/hard particles on filter surface

    Hold the filter above water for some condensation

    Then Clean

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Balestier
    Posts
    568

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal
    Been trying for 2 hours, very frustrated.

    At first I try the lens paper way, one piece wet with alcohol, wipe, then the dry piece finish up. No joy, there is always alcohol drying stains somewhere.

    Then I try using cloth instead, same!

    I am tearing my hair out in frustration. Nearly run a 100m dash to bang head. I know there must be a similar thread somewhere, but I couldn't find my answer after a search.

    I am using those free cleaning kits, no brand lens paper...

    Will buying a lens pen help?

    The most worrying thing is, did I destroy my filter coating? Hoya HMC...
    Quote Originally Posted by snapperholic
    hmm... have been using those pure alchohol from guardian. seems to work fine.. i suppose as long a the substance is not a composite liquid of various compounds should be quite safe ba.

    Lens Pen? where to get it? maybe i should try too.... i have the same prob with TS as the Hoya filters seem never be cleaned totally... which is why nowadays i compromise lor...

    its a thorn in the eyes when we cant clean it totally...but if yu are worried about it affecting your image quality, yu need not worry...its too far away from the sensor to affect the image so u dun have to try too hard cleaning ur filter..juz my 2cents
    but of course I have experience this too
    LightSide Shooter
    flickr

  7. #7

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    Quote Originally Posted by swhyge View Post
    Get a clean,lint free cloth and/or tissue paper

    Get a cup of warm water

    Check to make sure no dust/hard particles on filter surface

    Hold the filter above water for some condensation

    Then Clean
    Eh, try not to use tissue.... i have a very bad experience with that.. alot of it got stuck on the filter... unless what you meant is the lens tissue.....

    Agreed on the dust and hard particles which is why i always use my bazooka blower to clear the surface of the filter before cleaning the filter itself......
    Canon: 5DMKIII & 40D|17-40L|70-200f4ISL|100Macro|Sigma30|580EXII| Olympus: EP3|25mm f1.4

  8. #8

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    Second Calebk.

    Lenspen works really well for me

  9. #9

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    Quote Originally Posted by maameemoomoo View Post
    Second Calebk.

    Lenspen works really well for me
    Where to get it?
    Canon: 5DMKIII & 40D|17-40L|70-200f4ISL|100Macro|Sigma30|580EXII| Olympus: EP3|25mm f1.4

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    BUKIT PANJANG
    Posts
    1,997

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperholic View Post
    Where to get it?
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...hlight=lenspen
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

  11. #11

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    Its nearly 4 hours and I am still trying. I used up the 50 page lens paper booklet. I think its the streaks that I can't get rid of.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Its nearly 4 hours and I am still trying. I used up the 50 page lens paper booklet. I think its the streaks that I can't get rid of.
    Erm. Haven't you read any of the replies given?

  13. #13

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    Yes I read but somehow when I compared it to my other lens/filter, it looked really cloudy. I wonder if the coating is spoilt?
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    BUKIT PANJANG
    Posts
    1,997

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Yes I read but somehow when I compared it to my other lens/filter, it looked really cloudy. I wonder if the coating is spoilt?
    why not just try the lenspens solution as mentioned by calebk with the link attached?
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

  15. #15

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    Are you using rubbing alcohol? Some brands of rubbing alcohol include small amounts of vaseline in them. ie oil.....

    Do you wear specs? You can use the cloth you use to clean your specs to clean your filter. If you don't, go to a specs shop and buy one. Ask for microfibre cloth.

    I use 100% alcohol to clean. I got it from a lab. If you don't have access to 100% alcohol, then vodka works well also.

  16. #16
    Member/Tangshooter Redsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,931

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    face it,could be the filter
    i used to have a hoya cpl
    and cant get the stains off too
    throw it away and get a better 1

  17. #17

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    To solve your problem once and for all, switch to B+W, Nikon, Heliopan filters - scratch resistant, better optics and most importantly it is such a breeze to clean.

    Read more here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...hlight=filters

    There are some ongoing B+W mass order at market place

  18. #18

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Been trying for 2 hours, very frustrated.

    At first I try the lens paper way, one piece wet with alcohol, wipe, then the dry piece finish up. No joy, there is always alcohol drying stains somewhere.

    Then I try using cloth instead, same!

    I am tearing my hair out in frustration. Nearly run a 100m dash to bang head. I know there must be a similar thread somewhere, but I couldn't find my answer after a search.

    I am using those free cleaning kits, no brand lens paper...

    Will buying a lens pen help?

    The most worrying thing is, did I destroy my filter coating? Hoya HMC...
    What alcohol you used? Try misting up the filter with your breath and try again...

  19. #19
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Departed....
    Posts
    129

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    I clean my Hoya too hard n it got scratched. I think u should stop cleaning now n try again when u got ur lens pen.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    BUKIT PANJANG
    Posts
    1,997

    Default Re: No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

    Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    I clean my Hoya too hard n it got scratched. I think u should stop cleaning now n try again when u got ur lens pen.
    yeah haha agree ts should stop cleaning the lens coating of his should be gone already by now after cleaning it for so long
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •