Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Headphones / Earphones

Default Re: Good Headphones / Earphones

Quote Originally Posted by zhapchit View Post
    i'm still getting poisoned here in a photography forum
    lol u tot there is escape? But I think i'm quite disciplined. Made my getaway and dun look back till feel like it.

Arghh. I'm being poisoned as well. My mom won a free ipod nano at a dinner and she gave it to me, so now earphone/headphone bbb is tapping on my shoulder =(

PS, What's a good earphone/headphone that's under S$200?
    Our pictures are our footprints. Its the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    audio technia got 1 in-ear model, cost is $450 . anyone try that before? damn expensive for a in-ear .......

Thats in the same price range as some of them top end IEMs. The Ultimate Ears and Westones are around $400+ as well and thats just their dual drivers, haven't talk about the customs and triple drivers yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Arghh. I'm being poisoned as well. My mom won a free ipod nano at a dinner and she gave it to me, so now earphone/headphone bbb is tapping on my shoulder =(

PS, What's a good earphone/headphone that's under S$200?
    You want those IEMs or headphones? IEMs got a few like the Ultimate Ears Super Fi 3, Westone UM1, JAYs d-JAYS, Shures SE110/210 and the Mylarone series. These are all below $200. Recommend you give them a try at either Stereo Electronics in Causeway Point (all except the d-JAYS and Mylarones) or Jaben in Adelphi.
    Last edited by Evilmerlin; 4th September 2008 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    for headphones i use at home, maybe just need to crank up the volume, my HD570 is already 64ohm. thanks for the heads-up.
    Do take note that the AKG K240 MK II is a studio monitor headphones, meaning, it is not suppose to add or take away any elements from the music. I know people who hates it and says that it lacks 'character'. There are some who even claim it sounds 'lean'. I strongly urge you to test it out at Jaben before buying. It definitely sounds different from your HD570.

In my opinion, Grado SR325i is another great studio monitor headphones. It has more 'bloom' in the mid and low frequencies than K240, thus not as 'lean' sounding.
    Last edited by photobum; 4th September 2008 at 11:15 PM.

I've got sensitive skin. Ear-buds and in-ears give me dermatitis eczema around the concha, which causes redness, swelling, itching and dryness, crusting, flaking, blistering, cracking, oozing, or sometimes even bleeding. These symptoms can last for weeks. Therefore, I have no other option but to listen to 'cans'.

People with sensitive skin or prone to contract atopic dermatitis should avoid earphones.
    Last edited by photobum; 4th September 2008 at 11:28 PM.

thanks for the user input. my HD570's sound would also be described as lean. its afterall, HD570 (Symphony).

sometimes certain musical charactoristics need time to get used to. my Sony IEM (for music on the go) is tumpy, my Sennheiser's (stay-at-home monitor) lean, both compliment each other.

huh? e dermatitis enzema got not treatment? how about a high level of hygiene?
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 4th September 2008 at 11:31 PM.

huh? e dermatitis enzema got not treatment? how about a high level of hygiene?
    I will contract dermatitis even with a brand-new earphones, so I don't think it is hygiene issue.

I have so many earphones inside my drawer (some only use once and most of them are above $100) that I give up buying them.
    Last edited by photobum; 4th September 2008 at 11:39 PM.

so if u wear specs/shades oso cannot?

i dun have it so i was looking at upkeep or material allergy? or is purely skin's allergy to any material?

so if u wear specs/shades oso cannot?

i dun have it so i was looking at upkeep or material allergy? or is purely skin's allergy to any material?
    I wear spectacles but plastic frame only, not metal frame (not even titanium ones).

Anyway, my past experience with the HD570 is it sounds 'bright', not 'lean'. The word 'lean' in my terminology means the music lacks body or "oomph'. My Grado SR125 has plenty of body, yet not 'tumpy' at all.

HD570 is more musical sounding than K240. Both headphones are quite laid-back in my opinion.

Grado SR60 is 'lean', yet musical and upfront sounding. It lacks the bass response of most Japanese-brand headphones, but it does not cause listening fatigue, which 'bassy', 'bright' and upfront headphones do.
    Last edited by photobum; 5th September 2008 at 12:21 AM.

yes, laid-back & bright is a better word for HD570. surprised to know its more musical sounding than the K240.

yes, laid-back & bright is a better word for HD570. surprised to know its more musical sounding than the K240.
    Yes, HD570 is more musical sounding than K240.

K240 has a slight boost in the mid-range compared to HD570.
    Last edited by photobum; 5th September 2008 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    Yes, HD570 is more musical sounding than K240.

K240 has a slight boost in the mid-range compared to HD570.
    i got the HD570 over HD500, HD270 & HD280 (all Sennheisers) cos i like the cushions. for me sound is important but user comfort oso (cos i wear specs to watch movie/TV).

do most major brand oso carry accessories like replacement cords? keeping in mind i am not buying it now or in the near future...

the cord of HD570 degraded in 6years...

i got the HD570 over HD500, HD270 & HD280 (all Sennheisers) cos i like the cushions. for me sound is important but user comfort oso (cos i wear specs to watch movie/TV).

do most major brand oso carry accessories like replacement cords? keeping in mind i am not buying it now or in the near future...

the cord of HD570 degraded in 6years...
    The cord of K240 is replaceable. To me, AKG headphones feels more comfortable than Sennheiser ones. It features a patented 'suspension headband' which is ideal for prolong listening.

My only dislike about AKG headphones is the soft leather earpads. They tend to degrade and fall apart after a few years, but again, they are replaceable.
    Last edited by photobum; 5th September 2008 at 12:49 AM.

wah, thats good news. got replacement parts is part of being eco (& wallet) friendly too.

looks like a worthy contender!

Just read the AKG website. A new HD series was launched recently. The K242 HD is the replacement for K240 MKII. HD series uses soft velvet earpads (like Sennheiser) instead of soft leather ones.

Now, that's good news.

By the way, local service centre for AKG products is located at Tan Boon Liat Building.
    Last edited by photobum; 5th September 2008 at 12:47 AM.

got the link?

u are really tempting me to get leh...

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    lol u tot there is escape? But I think i'm quite disciplined. Made my getaway and dun look back till feel like it.
    i've stayed away from it for quite long also..

got the link?

u are really tempting me to get leh...
    Here is the link.

Hold on to your HD570 for a while more before changing. I am not familiar with the K242 HD, so I can't comment on it.

Regarding headphones cord, there are some people who actually take the K240 apart (it is quite easy to dismantle an AKG headphones) and replace it with 'audiophile-grade' cable. Of course, doing so will void the warranty.
    Last edited by photobum; 5th September 2008 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zhapchit View Post
    i've stayed away from it for quite long also..
    At least headphones are more affordable than DSLRs or lenses.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    At least headphones are more affordable than DSLRs or lenses.
    Headphones can cost over S$1K as well, then buy amplification, buy source, buy this buy that, end up expensive like DSLRs

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3678910 ... LastLast