Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Headphones / Earphones

Default Re: Good Headphones / Earphones

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    but those inner-ear earphones are enclosed designed. i think the sound pressure oso plays a part.
    Its prob the same as all sound is directed into ur ears be it headphones or earphones.

These isolating earphones can save ur hearing because it cut off some ambient noise, allowing u to listen at softer levels. This is the key part, softer levels.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Its prob the same as all sound is directed into ur ears be it headphones or earphones.

These isolating earphones can save ur hearing because it cut off some ambient noise, allowing u to listen at softer levels. This is the key part, softer levels.
    This is why I got IEM, to block out the outside sounds so I can play my music very quietly (don't need to turn it up to overpower and block out the ambient sound).
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Have tried the Mylar Crossroads, Creative EP-630, Creative Aurvana didn't like them. The Mylars were bassy but flat in other areas. Creative 630, did not like them. Flat and boring. Creative aurvana, too clean and clinical for me. IMHO. I am not an audiophile.

These are my personal opinions after comparing them with my Panasonic HJE-50. YMMV. What I like abt the Panasonic is the sound isolation, small buds you can wear to sleep too, and of course the sound. Not too bassy for long periods of listening and not too expensive. Could do with more clarity but its ok with me. Cost <$55

I replaced that with my current Pana HJE-500. Its more bassy maybe due to the aluminium housing compared to the plastic of the 50. Nonetheless it is still ergonomic and comfortable. Isolation is slightly above average. Better isolation also gives better bass. Cost <$70.

The ultimate earphones I have tried is of course the $700 Shure tri-drivers (3 drivers in each ear), forgot the model, which gave such such such live-sounding music. Delicious but too expensive headphones for me. This is serious serious poison! Be warned.

You might also want to consider noise cancelling headphones. But never tried any of those before, so can't comment. And yes, Jaben is a great place to try headphones! No pressure and wide, but not exhaustive, range. Good luck!

Sennheiser CX300 for small, in-ear. Sennheiser HD280 for covering the ear. I use the CX300 on planes, find them great for blocking out engine drone and screaming kids.

yes, i agree lowering the volume is the key issue to protecting my eardrums. i was hopped onto the IEM since Sony rolled them out many years back. if i am rite they were 1st mass market brand to do so.
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 21st August 2008 at 12:17 PM.

Walau! This thread made me spend money... after reading I went down and got a pair of UM-1s

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76 View Post
    Walau! This thread made me spend money... after reading I went down and got a pair of UM-1s
    congrats.. I have one too... the only complaint is that the complys wear out quite fast.

Quite happy with them, apart from not being able to hear my phone ringing just now.. hahahaha

Compared with the Shure SE110 as it was in the same price range as the UM-1... and I like the stronger lows and (slightly) more pronounced mids of the UM1's better

Quote Originally Posted by jeagga View Post

This baby spoil me so much already. I cringe whenever my friend want to share their music using their iBuds or whatever.

UE11 is true king of portable sound.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdragon View Post
    congrats.. I have one too... the only complaint is that the complys wear out quite fast.
    Switch to silicon tips lor. Buy those triflange type or try Shure's single flange tips. Or invest in a set of custom made earmold but if u are the type that shares music with friends, this is no good.

Mine used from white to yellow liao.

Quote Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post

This baby spoil me so much already. I cringe whenever my friend want to share their music using their iBuds or whatever.

UE11 is true king of portable sound.
    Wah! For that kind of price it should be

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    Sennheiser CX300 for small, in-ear. Sennheiser HD280 for covering the ear. I use the CX300 on planes, find them great for blocking out engine drone and screaming kids.
    hmmm, mind share ur comments on e CX300? how is e sound? its more budget friendly for most peps. oso, since i am used to Sony's IEMs, i quite particular about the cords length, left side short-short, right side 'runs' behind neck...

hmmm, mind share ur comments on e CX300? how is e sound? its more budget friendly for most peps. oso, since i am used to Sony's IEMs, i quite particular about the cords length, left side short-short, right side 'runs' behind neck...
    I'm no audiophile, so I can't give you those descriptions typically expected from speakers or headphones review. I'll just describe my experience, and you can search the web for reviewers who are audiophiles.

The best feature I find about these earphones is that they provide excellent blocking of external sound. This allows me to set the volume lower, and also hear all the subtle parts of what I'm listening to. I find sound reproduction to be very good, but I don't have any other IEM to compare with. They're also very comfortable, but the very soft sleeve drops out fairly easily. The main problem is that when walking or running, there's a loud rubbing sound (not sure how to describe this). Anyway, this is definitely not for wearing during running (on treadmill - wearing this while running on road is suicidal). For that, I replaced the sleeves with Shure's silicone sleeves. They're harder, not as comfortable and does not block as much sound though.

Other than the sleeves which I lost after about 2 months, my original pair is still functioning well after over 2 years of abuse.

For the price I paid for them (below US$30) they're hard to beat.

I find sound reproduction to be very good, but I don't have any other IEM to compare with. They're also very comfortable, but the very soft sleeve drops out fairly easily. The main problem is that when walking or running, there's a loud rubbing sound (not sure how to describe this).

you can try to loop the cable over your ears... it will minimise the 'rubbing sound'

Or can use those clips that comes with HP earpiece to clip it to ur shirt. Works as well, esp for running. Just need to find 1 that can fit ur CX300 cable.

I'm no audiophile, so I can't give you those descriptions typically expected from speakers or headphones review. I'll just describe my experience, and you can search the web for reviewers who are audiophiles.

The best feature I find about these earphones is that they provide excellent blocking of external sound. This allows me to set the volume lower, and also hear all the subtle parts of what I'm listening to. I find sound reproduction to be very good, but I don't have any other IEM to compare with. They're also very comfortable, but the very soft sleeve drops out fairly easily. The main problem is that when walking or running, there's a loud rubbing sound (not sure how to describe this). Anyway, this is definitely not for wearing during running (on treadmill - wearing this while running on road is suicidal). For that, I replaced the sleeves with Shure's silicone sleeves. They're harder, not as comfortable and does not block as much sound though.

Other than the sleeves which I lost after about 2 months, my original pair is still functioning well after over 2 years of abuse.

For the price I paid for them (below US$30) they're hard to beat.
    any comment will be much appreciated. whether its sounds quality, built, comfort & any aspect relating to the overall aspect quality wise. my current Sony does well isolating external noise, but at its age i would like to have a back-up in mind if it spoils suddenly, mostly due to broken cables.

oh yah, is e cables go to the back of the neck type (like my Sony's)? does the CX300 not have sleeves of different sizes for closer fit?

Quote Originally Posted by zhapchit View Post
    you can try to loop the cable over your ears... it will minimise the 'rubbing sound'
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. I thought the sound came from the sleeve rubbing against the ear, but I'm not 100% sure. It could very well be due to the cable tugging on the earphones. I'm not using the original sleeves on my original CX300, but I recently bought a back-up pair

Or can use those clips that comes with HP earpiece to clip it to ur shirt. Works as well, esp for running. Just need to find 1 that can fit ur CX300 cable.
    Hmm, I do have one of those lying around. Let me check it out. Thanks for the tip.

oh yah, is e cables go to the back of the neck type (like my Sony's)? does the CX300 not have sleeves of different sizes for closer fit?
    My cables had been subjected to much abuse. I'm surprised that they haven't broken, given how thin they are. The CX300 comes with 3 sets of sleeves for different sizes. They're designed for behind the neck use. From where the cable splits into the left and right earpiece, the right side cable is about twice as long as the left. The 3.5mm stereo plug is also right angled.

My cables had been subjected to much abuse. I'm surprised that they haven't broken, given how thin they are. The CX300 comes with 3 sets of sleeves for different sizes. They're designed for behind the neck use. From where the cable splits into the left and right earpiece, the right side cable is about twice as long as the left. The 3.5mm stereo plug is also right angled.
    thanks for e info. i tot if looped behind neck a 1:3 cord ratio would be more ideal?

if u really 1 2 give max protection for those earphones, those cylindrical containers from hair styling products works very well for storaging them. it could take the weight of most guys standing on it.

thanks for e info. i tot if looped behind neck a 1:3 cord ratio would be more ideal?

if u really 1 2 give max protection for those earphones, those cylindrical containers from hair styling products works very well for storaging them. it could take the weight of most guys standing on it.
    You're right, it is closer to 1:3.

3.5mm stereo plug to split : 35 inches
    split to left : 7.5 inches
    split to right : 21 inches

If I have one of those super expensive phones, I'll give it better protection. Right now I just wrap the cord around the player and toss it in my gym bag I'm not sure what the containers look like though - got a photo somewhere?

You're right, it is closer to 1:3.

3.5mm stereo plug to split : 35 inches
    split to left : 7.5 inches
    split to right : 21 inches

If I have one of those super expensive phones, I'll give it better protection. Right now I just wrap the cord around the player and toss it in my gym bag I'm not sure what the containers look like though - got a photo somewhere?
    oh, 1:3 seems right.

as for e container, i am using Gatsby Moving Rubber. i m staying away from containers of smaller diameter as i dun like winding e cables into too many coils. i din 1 my earphones to retire prematurely...
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 24th August 2008 at 02:37 AM.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast