Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Singapore settles for silver..

Default Re: Singapore settles for silver..

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    She is a patriot ...... towards the China side. She is China by heart & spirit. She hums the Chinese anthem & not the Majullah.
    Unsubstantiated comments like that will only lead to the thread being locked.

My POV (from another thread) can be summarised as

1) We should not keep talking about foreign professionals and imported sportspeople in the same breath, the former is for economic survival. But do we need to win sporting medals to survive?

2) The Singapore team has done well, they deserve some commendation for their efforts. However, the policy of importing sportspeople needs re-looking.

For want of a better expression, I am repeating the following words from the other thread " it is not in the spirit of sporting competitions that a country wins medals, not by sending the best already have, but by sending the best it can scout."
    Last edited by ahbian; 19th August 2008 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    She is a patriot ...... towards the China side. She is China by heart & spirit. She hums the Chinese anthem & not the Majullah. I feel dusgusted by our local sport official comments quoted in ST: " ..... anyone who is against FT, do you have a better solutions".

Hmm, I wonder why a small population base like Jamaica would go on to win 6 golds & probably finish top 10 in medal table.
    odd that the sports officials dun believe in our own country men/women. with the silver medal garnered by the paddlers, will they now focus on spotting & training local sports talents to spur other fellow Singaporeans to believe they can compete at the highest level?

or it is just semantics?
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 19th August 2008 at 10:39 PM.

vince123123
    Guests

I'll add on to the saying:

"It is not in the spirit of sporting competitions that a country wins medals, not by sending the best it already has, but by sending the best it can scout and buy"

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    For want of a better expression, I am repeating the following words from the other thread " it is not in the spirit of sporting competitions that a country wins medals, not by sending the best already have, but by sending the best it can scout."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234