Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Singapore settles for silver..

Default Re: Singapore settles for silver..

Quote Originally Posted by zj2000 View Post
    i thought wang yue ge only got her singapore citizenship last year and she's 29 this year?
    the 21yr thingy only started this early, iirc.

vince123123
    Guests

Maybe cos of too much talent buying already being abused.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post

pity our local sports (but not sporting) association cop out & din take enough effort to spot & groom locals to increase participation.

somemore building a new national stadium. to increase spectator sports?

from previous thread:

"Gold - China
    Silver - China"

Ha I like this, and I hold this view. It's "circumstantial" that our china-born, Singaporean-converted athletes are carrying the Singapore name.

Table-tennis is not in our blood, neither are we truly interested in these players. (Hands up those of you who play table-tennis fervently and/or have been faithfully following these girls in their matches inside out. Even if you do, you are likely a minority.)

From the way I see it, All these hoo-hah about winning a medal is part of the grand scheme of things by the government to make Singapore more well-known to the rest of the world. Then we can attract even more foreigners here. Then we can boost the population. Then the economy will boom. It's not directly about the glory in the sports itself. Think about it....

If you watched the PM's N Day rally speech, you will know what I mean.

I was amused and surprised the audience clapped when the PM announced we lost to China 3-0 or something like that. I was like... Huh??? You clapped that your own country had lost? How dumb could the attitude of the audience be??!

Or were they complacent, thinking, Never mind, at least got silver. Yah, silver by beating teams from USA and Nigeria where competitive table tennis is almost unheard of? Ha.

To me, it's only the Koreans that our players had beaten do they have reason to be proud of. Against the rest of the weaker teams, forget it. It's nothing spectacular.

Against China, Li JW and Co. were smiling a few times during the game. I've never seen a true Olympic sportsperson smiling when they know they are losing! Wah kao, I was like, Go home lah. Just be satisfied you can get a silver since that's what you aimed for, lucky or not. Some say China was giving them the chance in the first round.

I truly admire those who come from third world countries and fight against all odds to excel in their sports. It's only pure passion, whether they win the medal or not. But most of the time, they do. Cos the passion wins out over any monetary benefits, which they may not get anyway.

But let's not get sour grapes and complain too much. Congrats to the paddlers. Nevertheless....Not sure about you guys, but it ain't a WOW factor to get me all excited.

Sorry to continue on here but some people see our viewpoints as negative and discriminatory.
    Let me point out what is discriminatory: giving people easy access to a Singapore passport (which I believe many of us hold on to dearly, giving 2 years or more of our lives for the army), while treating the lower-class foreigners who build our nation as if they don't exist (no rights, little protection)

While we are celebrating our foreign talents' achievements in the sporting field, let us take a moment to consider that most of the buildings we live in are built by workers from India, Bangladesh, China, Thailand, and that many of these workers are hidden away from our view most of the time, and even those who have lived here for many years working for our country will never have the chance to get a Singapore passport.
    Let's remember that the maids who bring up our children can get packed up and sent back to their countries in a day if their employer feels the whimsy to do so.

Sorry I find it hypocritical that we can sing the praises of our FT sportswomen here and still have so many cases of foreign maids we bring in not even being treated like normal humans and given an off day at all.

btw, I hope the moderator will read closely and see that we are giving considered responses to this topic. If our viewpoints don't agree with yours, it's not called whining. It's called a discussion. It's abit frustrating to spend an hour crafting out a response that's been thought out only to see a thread closed just like that.

Blog Entries

ping pong, as mentioned earlier is not a sport that the majority follows closely or even play

so what if singapore has won the silver
    so what if our athletes used to be from china

we wont even remember them in 3 months time

i believe that most of our forefathers were from china too

the "discussions" are getting out of hand
    we are an international community
    in singapore and in CS

do spare a thought for those of us here in CS and in Singapore who are from the PRC
    it is over zealous talk like this that cause misunderstandings and fights.

and if you read the Terms of Use you will notice that

1. Be Nice and Be Civilised - abusing, name-calling, personal attacks on members and/or generally trying to stir up trouble will not be tolerated. Be kind to newbies as they may not know the general flow of the forums. Repeatedly violation of this rule will result in banishment.

3. Off-Topic (OT) posts - Please direct all posts not related to Photography to the Kopitiam forum. OT posts will be deleted or moved without noticed if posted in any other forums.
    NOTE: Although Kopitiam is meant as a catch-all area for things not related to photography, posts/threads which are:
    religious,
    political,
    racist;
    in nature or can be construed as such will also be stamped out, abolished and demolished without prejudice.

5. Flaming / Personal Attacks - We will not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks or self-promoting messages. Please refer to Rule #1. Repeated abuse will result in banishment.

6. Trolls - We will not tolerate anyone antagonising other forum members by posting potentially inflammatory messages. See Rule #1. Repeated abuse will result in banishment. Do not participate in a thread merely to criticize or mock the equipment choice of other forum members in the thread. Examples include Nikon shooters posting in Canon topic areas, Canon shooters posting in Nikon topic areas and anyone posting in any topic area where the result can serve only to insult and inflame regular participants in that topic area.

so closing the other thread is a better idea than serving infractions, do take some time to read the terms of use
    Last edited by ortega; 19th August 2008 at 01:09 AM.

as far as some discussion go, some do get messy by each increasing post count. some threads gets locked before getting out-of-hand.

that i stand by the modz decision on locking up a thread. to keep threads clean. that thread seems headed for mayhem, & its that reason why i did not further reply. besides some points seems so far off from key points of debate, posts quoted out of context too.

as long as the discussion stays firmly on the key issues, thread need not be locked le mah. cos it evolved into a this guy vs that guy. & things can get really ugly. of course must lock up thread.

keeping threads clean cannot just depend on a few, each post adds to the thread afterall.
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 19th August 2008 at 01:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    btw, I hope the moderator will read closely and see that we are giving considered responses to this topic. If our viewpoints don't agree with yours, it's not called whining. It's called a discussion. It's abit frustrating to spend an hour crafting out a response that's been thought out only to see a thread closed just like that.
    btw just in case that you think that i closed the thread just because it does not agree with my point of view, i made my point in that thread a long time ago and left it at that.

i moved on as there is no way that everyone can agree.
    but i am getting "bad posts" reports that bring me back to that thread to see what is going on.

so just as you like to have your point of view, so would others
    state your point and move on
    you are not going to convince the other party to see things from your side

just agree to disagree and move on
    Last edited by ortega; 19th August 2008 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benign View Post
    If you treat foreign talents like one of your own. Sooner or later, his/her allegiance is your.
    I thought Singapore economic success is very much depend on foreign talents?

What is wronged with 'import'??
    Many great sporting nations has foreign talents too?? Eg. Chinese volleyball coach in USA team.
    The issue is not about allegiance. Read all the posts again and go back to my analogy of the cake. In this case, a cake has no allegiance to anyone, let's just take this as neutral. But what you have done as a baker... it's just no glory, mate.

Imported coach is fine. I'm sure noone has a problem with that... most countries use imported coach. Jus as there would be no issue for using imported equipment or going overseas for education or training. If you as a Singaporean photographer go to the best arts school overseas and win a prestigious award, you will be representing Singapore and do Singapore proud when it is written that Singapore-born ABC has won XXX award. Noone worries about where you got your education/training from... it is about you. In this case, it is about the sportsman... the one doing the work... the one winning is the sportsman. Coach does not stand on the podium.

I just read in an article from AP (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/ap/20080818...s-6e81073.html).
    "He said Bruce Springsteen performed "Born in the USA" at a weekend concert in Florida in honor of Phelps winning his seventh gold medal, which tied him with Mark Spitz for most golds in a single games."
    This just says it all. This is true national pride when your home-born athlete did it. America celebrates that the greatest Olympians were "Born in the USA". Can we sing "Born in Singapore"??

Finally friend, if you read my post in it's entirety, the point wasn't to bash foreign talent, the point is as what sore-eyez said below... that we are not taking enough effort to select and train the locals and importing FT is not only taking the easy way out, but it takes resources away from what could have been invested in the locals. Afterall, a country should be investing in it's people.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    pity our local sports (but not sporting) association cop out & din take enough effort to spot & groom locals to increase participation.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    Good, I support this move. It is just simply blatant to buy sportsmen. It is a different matter if someone migrated to your country when young and then developed to become a good sportsman. You did not buy over that sportsman just because she was good in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    from previous thread:
    From the way I see it, All these hoo-hah about winning a medal is part of the grand scheme of things by the government to make Singapore more well-known to the rest of the world. Then we can attract even more foreigners here. Then we can boost the population. Then the economy will boom. It's not directly about the glory in the sports itself. Think about it....

If you watched the PM's N Day rally speech, you will know what I mean.

I truly admire those who come from third world countries and fight against all odds to excel in their sports. It's only pure passion, whether they win the medal or not. But most of the time, they do. Cos the passion wins out over any monetary benefits, which they may not get anyway.
    And here we go... the age-old issue of "Can sports and politics be separated."
    Well, the reality is sports and politics cannot be separated. In fact, anything to do with a country cannot be separated from politics. Every country has a political agenda for winning an olympic medal. Even if you don't have an agenda, the fact remains that it WILL bring your country into the spotlight. So let's not bring in another issue altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    the "discussions" are getting out of hand
    we are an international community
    in singapore and in CS

do spare a thought for those of us here in CS and in Singapore who are from the PRC
    it is over zealous talk like this that cause misunderstandings and fights.
    I do find the discussions so far to be rather civilised.
    Regarding sparing a thought for the PRC, if you notice, most of the criticisms were not against PRC, but rather Singapore's FST scheme and not developing our own local talents enough. The criticisms that some gave against the girls performance had nothing to do with them being from PRC either, but based on how they performed. I'm sure they would have received the same criticisms if they were Singapore-born too. But that's how it is when you put yourself in the public eye... whether sportman, tv personality or anything else.

But it is good that you point these out and I hope this discussion can go on in a civilised manner.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    I do find the discussions so far to be rather civilised.
    Regarding sparing a thought for the PRC, if you notice, most of the criticisms were not against PRC, but rather Singapore's FST scheme and not developing our own local talents enough. The criticisms that some gave against the girls performance had nothing to do with them being from PRC either, but based on how they performed. I'm sure they would have received the same criticisms if they were Singapore-born too. But that's how it is when you put yourself in the public eye... whether sportman, tv personality or anything else.

But it is good that you point these out and I hope this discussion can go on in a civilised manner.
    not this thread

And here we go... the age-old issue of "Can sports and politics be separated."
    Well, the reality is sports and politics cannot be separated. In fact, anything to do with a country cannot be separated from politics. Every country has a political agenda for winning an olympic medal. Even if you don't have an agenda, the fact remains that it WILL bring your country into the spotlight. So let's not bring in another issue altogether.
    I'm not denying that sports and politics are not related. Most certainly they are intertwined.

But we do have to question what comes first? It's usually the glory of sports that the athelete has achieved that leads to the country being recognized, not the other way round.

For eg: Michael Phelps won 8 gold medals and he's already labelled the "greatest Olympian of all time". The man comes first, then his sport (swimming) then perhaps people consider, Oh he's American and he helped to put USA in the top few ranking. People don't initially go: "Oh, AMERICA ROCKS!" But rather "Phelps is THE MAN!"

On the contrary, in our case, it seems to be, SINGAPORE SINGAPORE SINGAPORE. I don't see the sports part coming out strong.

Put simply, there's little culture in sports here. We are like wannabes always hoping and chasing for some glory that we will win something big for the implicit reason that Singapore will be known to others.

I certainly don't want the discussion to turn off topic or ugly. I congratulate those who have won, including Tao Li who has put up a superb performance. But I guess our fellow Singaporeans do feel something's "not right" or missing from all the hoo-hah going around. It's a never ending topic. It will only lessen perhaps when one day we see more of our Made in Singapore atheletes winning something. Which I seriously doubt will come anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Agreed,

If Singapore is so hard up to win the Olympic Gold at any cost, just offer Michael Phelps 10 Billion SGD from the reserves, citizenship, and then Singapore will be the next Olympic Gold Legend in 2012.
    That would be the single BEST investment decision Temasek/GIC ever made!

This is true national pride when your home-born athlete did it. America celebrates that the greatest Olympians were "Born in the USA". Can we sing "Born in Singapore"??
    We can sing Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven...

"...
    There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
    And she's buying a stairway to heaven..."

Sorry to continue on here but some people see our viewpoints as negative and discriminatory.
    Let me point out what is discriminatory: giving people easy access to a Singapore passport (which I believe many of us hold on to dearly, giving 2 years or more of our lives for the army), while treating the lower-class foreigners who build our nation as if they don't exist (no rights, little protection)

While we are celebrating our foreign talents' achievements in the sporting field, let us take a moment to consider that most of the buildings we live in are built by workers from India, Bangladesh, China, Thailand, and that many of these workers are hidden away from our view most of the time, and even those who have lived here for many years working for our country will never have the chance to get a Singapore passport.
    Let's remember that the maids who bring up our children can get packed up and sent back to their countries in a day if their employer feels the whimsy to do so.

Sorry I find it hypocritical that we can sing the praises of our FT sportswomen here and still have so many cases of foreign maids we bring in not even being treated like normal humans and given an off day at all.
    Very good point. Agree with you entirely.

There needs to be more help administered to foreign workers here.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    Silver is a politically correct win.
    You mean they have a choice to win

Deregistered

Anyone knows how many of the FTS who can-not-make-it in SG went back home?

Quote Originally Posted by mactigasuku View Post
    Anyone knows how many of the FTS who can-not-make-it in SG went back home?
    any1 knows how many locals who cannot make it in Sg went back home & r still in Sg?

b4 the thread's topic head off the wrong direction,..

back to topic.

Should be a more than a few, but I also know that there are many Singaporeans who cannot make it still hanging around.

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    ARGH...

i feel wang yue gu has been a let down all along..anyway congrats on singapore nevertheless!
    She is a patriot ...... towards the China side. She is China by heart & spirit. She hums the Chinese anthem & not the Majullah. I feel dusgusted by our local sport official comments quoted in ST: " ..... anyone who is against FT, do you have a better solutions".

Hmm, I wonder why a small population base like Jamaica would go on to win 6 golds & probably finish top 10 in medal table.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast