Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helios Descend

Default Re: Helios Descend

Ha ha, I'm not that conversant with Greek or Roman mythology, just did a bit of research on the net. In fact, I like the half mono, half sephia treatment. It gives me the caption, "The Wrath of Gaia is upon us". It's like Gaia has call upon the heavenly powers to seek wreak her vengeance upon the humans for what they did to us.

psychobiologist and nigel84, in fact one of the famous photographers and photography book writers, Bryan Peterson said in one sentence, "Break all rules", as long as the picture achieve the purpose of telling the viewer what you are trying and invoke emotions, that is a good picture.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel84 View Post
    Along the way of adjusting the sun slightly to the right, i end up with these 2 pics. Now I'm really confused, which would had better fit the caption, Helios Descend. Hope you guys can give me a hand...

on the left is the half sepia, half mono and the right is full coloured pic...

I have tried my best to shift the sun to the center of the pic. Hoping to bring more balance into the pic. On a side note, after looking and further analyzing the pic numerous times, I think i broke the rule of thirds. May i know if i have broken it?

HA! thanks for the enlightenement. I'm thinking of printing the pic out in 5R size with those matt feel cardboard... Does any1 has any reccomended shop to introduce? And what are the rates to them? As for the reason why i'm askin if i had broke the rules, was i wanted something tt i could keep and say , "Ha! I bend the rules and it turn out great!"
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

i definitely prefer the 1st photo, but have to agree with the rest that 'Helios Descend' is a total overkill. the image looks more like an ascend, rather than a descend. the war memorial looks like a never-ending road. somewhat surrealistic to me. i would also like Helios to be somewhat off-center; it adds a little quirkiness to the entire image.

the post is done pretty well - colours are nice. think you should print it and frame it up in your room; i know i would.

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    who cares about such rules?

was travelling with this com studies student who happened to have read like one photography/journalism module before. and after a day out he took my cam and sneered at all the pictures : "aiyoh.. how come all the pictures like that one... where is the rules of a third? even all mine all rules of a third". wanted to tell him that i learnt rules of a third probably almost a decade ago, but it was of my least concern in shooting ever since then, but decide to just smile at him innocently.

my opinion. just shoot. who cares about rules? unless you want to shoot the same picture the same way as others have always done, too fearful to venture out, then maybe that will be an issue
    Yea i understand the issue, probably i expressed myself wrongly again. HAHa, i wanted to know if i broke the rules of thirds because, i personally wanted to keep a pic with me, that i can proudly say, hey look, i broke the rules of 3rd and the image appears great! Something for keepsake and for my own ego stroking. LOL, and not something which muz be enforced in my head repeating, where is the rule of thirds? Die la, no rule of 3rds cannot compose cannot take gd pic le...

Quote Originally Posted by amosfoo View Post
    i definitely prefer the 1st photo, but have to agree with the rest that 'Helios Descend' is a total overkill. the image looks more like an ascend, rather than a descend. the war memorial looks like a never-ending road. somewhat surrealistic to me. i would also like Helios to be somewhat off-center; it adds a little quirkiness to the entire image.

the post is done pretty well - colours are nice. think you should print it and frame it up in your room; i know i would.
    Yea, Helios Descend sounds too much like a Newpaper caption smack right infront of the cover page. Drawing too much attention i guess, however may i ask for suggestion for a better title for this pic? Does "Rising to Heavens" sounds too much as well? As for the sun, sad to say i wanted it to be in the dead center instead >.< wanted a symmetrical feel to the pic. Your view has been taken into consideration, no offense here.

none taken. its your picture, so i dont think others should name it for you. besides, it could remain as untitled. but, i still suggest just keeping the D.I done to the quality of the image but not the composition and all. but its your call.

hmmm, point taken. prob just leaving it untitled could be the best way out here.

definitely the half sepia one for me.

a slight tilt in the pic if you take the 2 cut off points of the memorial at each sides. maybe if u adjust it, the sun would be in the center. give it a try and lets see if it helps.

a good name would be the monument itself. nothing fanciful and straight to the point.

Thanks for the suggestion, i tried it. But apparently, i can't seem to get it to work. >.<

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12