Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helios Descend

Default Helios Descend

A godly descend, from the skies to the earth we stood, bringing light to those that even dead.

Wondered if this pic work for you guys. Helios itself is the name of the Greek god of sun. Let me know if it works, in terms of composition and colours.

A bigger pic is here : click me
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

Default Re: Helios Descend

Wow...looks like some movie poster! Only thing to nitpick is the sun a little off position.
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

whoa.
    cool

this is simple but lovely shot. the pic would have been SWEET if the sun was right smack in the center!
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

I wanted to... but cannot... Reached the place late >.< else reali in the centre liao. Unless play cheat and do PP to it. LOL

simplicity is the very fundamental of beauty.

i'd have to agree that "helios descent" is too much a caption for this picture.. it feels like it's "one of the pictures" taken during a trip to the cenotaph and later attempted to be given a name (and a cool name too in that sense)..

i think the sun added a balancing interest to the picture.. but it's position is slightly off (will good timing have helped? not sure).. and the cenotaph is not exactly symmetrical as well (think it's not easy to take perfectly symmetrical shot of it)..

and i'd have to DEFINITELY agree that Catatac has NOT added any value to this crituque..

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    You mean comments like these?

Constructive huh? I don't care much for your other comments; they are of no relevance to this thread, but it shows that your other comments do not put you in any better stead than your comments on this thread.

You may have yet to read this, but it gives no grounds for unconstructive comments. There is a fine line to walk between giving responsible critique and coming here to put others down.

Sorry nigel for the OT.
    No problem for that Its all a learning experience... Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ssping83 View Post
    i'd have to agree that "helios descent" is too much a caption for this picture.. it feels like it's "one of the pictures" taken during a trip to the cenotaph and later attempted to be given a name (and a cool name too in that sense)..

i think the sun added a balancing interest to the picture.. but it's position is slightly off (will good timing have helped? not sure).. and the cenotaph is not exactly symmetrical as well (think it's not easy to take perfectly symmetrical shot of it)..

and i'd have to DEFINITELY agree that Catatac has NOT added any value to this crituque..
    Haha, probably the name is too cool for the pic. But looking at the memorial pillar and the sun before i took this pic, i could only think of this. Too much mythology in my head. Perhaps this pic would work more as a set? As for the sun postion, yes it was off. And i believe if i had reached the location abt noon, chances are reali that i might catch it in the direct centre. As for the cenotaph to be exactly symmetrical, i dunno how to do it. Always have trouble in aligning things in terms of congruence and similarity. Maybe someone out there can give me some tips on how to visualize even better?

errrr.... thats a cenotaph?

Thats why I had agreed to the importance of titles to every image. For me, I dont understand what Helios mean, I cant relate it either - all I see is the idea of getting the sun in between the pillars. Is there a mistake in this picture? Is there an alternative to make the picture better? I dont know, cos I think its been good enough, and I would have done the same too.
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

well,would it be apporiate to say tt my title is off?Since it sounds way too cool and does not match up enough to the simple pic?

I would have to be impressed that you have used this name, Helios. It's more known in Greek and Roman mythology that the god of sun is Apollo. If you wish to use this caption, you may have to do a more detailed write up to give viewers more background. I can relate to what you are trying to portray in your picture. With the wide base narrowly up just like the Incan pyramids shape that also prays to the Sun god.

Quote Originally Posted by kruger View Post
    I would have to be impressed that you have used this name, Helios. It's more known in Greek and Roman mythology that the god of sun is Apollo. If you wish to use this caption, you may have to do a more detailed write up to give viewers more background. I can relate to what you are trying to portray in your picture. With the wide base narrowly up just like the Incan pyramids shape that also prays to the Sun god.

OH! So sorry for my error... HAha... I guess i'm still lost between them. Probably if i used the name, Apollo. Many more would understand since the name is more talked about. As for the detailed write-up, i really tried and that was the best i could achieve. I really dunno how to describe it lei. Too ancient and full of feelings le. Probably a little help in here?

Along the way of adjusting the sun slightly to the right, i end up with these 2 pics. Now I'm really confused, which would had better fit the caption, Helios Descend. Hope you guys can give me a hand...

on the left is the half sepia, half mono and the right is full coloured pic...

I have tried my best to shift the sun to the center of the pic. Hoping to bring more balance into the pic. On a side note, after looking and further analyzing the pic numerous times, I think i broke the rule of thirds. May i know if i have broken it?
    Last edited by nigel84; 22nd August 2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: forgot 1 pic per post and my arrangement is wrong.

great composition, especially like the little lens flare, feels like saying "beam me up, Scotty".

like the way you placed the contrasty highlight/shadow lines at each side of the bottom corners.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

That's the Civilian War Memorial.

The Cenotaph is the one between the Padang and Esplanade..

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    great composition, especially like the little lens flare, feels like saying "beam me up, Scotty".

like the way you placed the contrasty highlight/shadow lines at each side of the bottom corners.
    Thanks, however i would like to ask which suits the theme better? and did i break the rules of third?Been asking myself this question, but no answers came from my head. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    That's the Civilian War Memorial.

The Cenotaph is the one between the Padang and Esplanade..
    d*mn got the names wrong again.... I always refer the cenotaph as the war memorial...

Quote Originally Posted by nigel84 View Post
    Thanks, however i would like to ask which suits the theme better? and did i break the rules of third?Been asking myself this question, but no answers came from my head. LOL
    dont know about the tittle cause my english cant swim.

not all photos composition die die must follow rules of 3rd.

also, sometimes the situation just dont allows it, you are there, the path of the sun doesnt give in to your needs to move into "correct spot" cause you subject also cant be moved (mountain, building, tree, sculpture etc). so try best to compose and shoot.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Rule of thirds is just a simple guide where you put your main subject at the one-third mark vertically and horizontally rather than smack in the middle of the photo. E.g place the horizon at the bottom 1/3 or the top 1/3 to focus more on the sky or the ground rather than a weaker 50-50 composition. Or giving some space for your portrait subject to look into rather than in the centre of the frame, helps to tell a better story I suppose

There are situations where the rule of thirds won't work for the photo, such as in this case where you are going for the symmetry. Perhaps the rule of thirds could be applied in the vertical axis, put the tip of the chopsticks nearer the top of the frame, bcos it's nearer to the midpoint now. Although I understand the constraint of having to keep the sun in the photo as well, so not much you could do abt that.

I like the overall composition, maybe you could go back during an impending thunderstorm. The sun's rays breaking through the thick dark clouds will add so much more to the drama of a descent from the heavens.

Impending thunderstorm, nice idea you got there. Would try that if i get myself around tt corner again... but looking at the 2 pics, which one describes the mood better?

Quote Originally Posted by nigel84 View Post
    On a side note, after looking and further analyzing the pic numerous times, I think i broke the rule of thirds. May i know if i have broken it?
    who cares about such rules?

was travelling with this com studies student who happened to have read like one photography/journalism module before. and after a day out he took my cam and sneered at all the pictures : "aiyoh.. how come all the pictures like that one... where is the rules of a third? even all mine all rules of a third". wanted to tell him that i learnt rules of a third probably almost a decade ago, but it was of my least concern in shooting ever since then, but decide to just smile at him innocently.

my opinion. just shoot. who cares about rules? unless you want to shoot the same picture the same way as others have always done, too fearful to venture out, then maybe that will be an issue
    chezburgr i can haz?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast