Thread: What Film???

Question What Film???

Hi all. i just got myself an EOS 5, and i have a 28 1.8 and a 50 1.4 cause i am currently using 20D. Now wondering what film is good. any particular brand??? thks

Default Re: What Film???

I'm guessing you'll be shooting streets with that combo? Something like Provia 400X, a 400 film with suprisingly low grain.. if landscapes theres the ever popular Velvia 50/100.. btw, these are slide films instead of the usual negatives..

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    I'm guessing you'll be shooting streets with that combo? Something like Provia 400X, a 400 film with suprisingly low grain.. if landscapes theres the ever popular Velvia 50/100.. btw, these are slide films instead of the usual negatives..
    May i know what is the diff between slide film and negatives??? thks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by PrimePhotog View Post
    May i know what is the diff between slide film and negatives??? thks in advance
    Slides are also called 'positive' or 'transparent'. Read more about them here and something about the Slide Projector. Still remember how we used them in school or how traveling photographers made their money showing slides.

Thks. Is it more expensive to develop slides compared to negatives?/

Yes. It is more expensive and longer waiting time before u see your result.
    - Negative (many shops can finish the processing in one hour)
    - Positive (only some shops do it now in Sg. Some takes 3days or more. Fastest one that I found is in 3 hours.)

Price: my experience only
    Negative - approx $5 (if u do not develop it into photos/prints)
    Positive - approx $7 (if you want them to be mounted)

Since i am doing film more for fun, i think i would do negatives first.. maybe i go into positives in a while... any good negative film to recommend??? thks in advance for replies

There's a nice helpful chart put together here by megaweb
    http://www.clubsnap.com/display.php?.../negatives.htm for negatives
    http://www.clubsnap.com/display.php?...ims/slides.htm for slides

good starting point of things to try to find which you prefer
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

negs, something like Reala 100?

If you're just starting out, it doesn't matter. Just buy the cheapest film from the 1.99 shops, like Konica or Kodak Max.

Once you have enough experience, you'll know the differences between films. Just like people who drink wine a lot can tell the subtle differences between different wines. But at the start, as long as the wine is from a reputable vineward, you can drink it.