Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 256789121732 ... LastLast

Thread: Arsenal Football Club - The Gunner's Thread 2

Default Re: Arsenal Football Club - The Gunner's Thread 2

siannnn...

Sigh...as usual we don't kill the game off. Trying all the fancy backheels and passing up the shots after we go 1-0 up.

Hope this loss is a kick up the backside. Too complacent.

what the crap is arsenal doing again...

Is it only me or do others around her feel that Adebayor and Eboue should be benched?

The first one always dodges out of challenges, wastes too many chances, and worst of all doesn't seemed to understand offside rule. The second one tries too hard (unsuccessfully) to make fancy passes and wastes time rolling around on the ground when tackled.

I would say give Bendtner and Song a chance.

To me, it's a woeful performance.

Gallas and Toure at the heart of the defence has always been a suspect; the lapses were evident.

Eboue playing on the left? He's largely ineffective ... not forgetting Fabregas our main, link-man was out of sorts; his usual high productivity in terms completed passes was relatively miserable, not forgetting Walcott was out-muscled and failed to pounce when he got those rare clear chances ...

Lastly, Adebayour's flaw was exposed again ... he may a very good striker but definitely not world class; he's first touches have been weak and as for RVP, his shoots got the usual power but lack accuracy ...

All in all, Hull City deserved the win because they were aggressive (but not dirty), hungrier to win than us and defended very well.

I can only hope we'll learn from this lesson ... I wonder if we stick to the Young Guns who played against Sheffield United in mid-week, how different will be the outcome ...

Thats the difference between us, Man Utd and Chelsea. The other two teams can have an off day and still win.

For us, I can't really remember when we actually won even after playing poorly. Cliche as it seems, thats what makes a team champions, to be able to win even after playing below par.

Great response! We beat FC Porto @ home with braces from Adebayour and RVP! Let's concentrate on getting consistent performances from the team ... next stop, away to Stadium of Light!

All they need is some consistency and ruthlessness in their matches, not some yo-yo performances from week to week.

yah hoping they be consistent in their winning performances, especially in the league, we sorely need that
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Damn sorrow. If we loose another match, I bet the season is practically over.
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

yeah! we beat porto till they saw stars.....arsenal stars!

nice solid performance!

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    yeah! we beat porto till they saw stars.....arsenal stars!

nice solid performance!
    This win must be maintained, squandering such matches is such a waste!
    BTW, sorry OT abit, Madmac, i like your avatar lah, damn cool...hahha
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

Nothing like a good solid performance to cast away the memories of last weekend.

Hopefully the team wakes up and stay focus until the final whistle when they play 'lesser' teams. Take nothing for granted.

=========================
    Fabregas rules as Porto turns into a training game By Myles Palmer

It was a thumping victory.

Arsenal 4 Porto 0 was a scoreline that was needed after Arsenal 1 Hull City 2, which was widely reported as the shock of the season so far.

Tuesday night's result needed to be emphatic - and it was.

Robin van Persie bounced back with two goals and an assist on the second goal. Adebayor headed in RVP's corner and later slotted a penalty after Bendtner was chopped down by the frustrated Guarin.

Arsenal have a small defence and a small midfield but the power of their two big strikers made the difference. Porto were overwhelmed by their physicality. So, in this game, fans saw end product as well as sophisticated possession play.

Early on, midfielder Rodriguez ended a thrilling break by missing a header, which bounced down and then hit the bar ; Lisandro brought a fine save from Almunia, then had a shot kicked off the line by Clichy.

Cesc Fabregas played three lovely passes early on and the third led to the first goal, although the breakthrough moment had a touch of Route 1 about it.

Toure launched a 65-yard ball down the middle of the field and Adebayor headed it down to Fabregas. His subtle short pass released Adebayor on the right and, remarkably, the big man waited for a support from outside the box. Van Persie made a fast, determined run to the near post and stabbed the ball in with his outstretched left foot.

That was the best goal of the game - and the most important. Fabregas was at his most creative, his most influential. Arsene said Cesc came close to giving the complete performance on Tuesday night. He is one of the world's best players, even though he's not as spectacular as some other great players.

Porto were a lot better after their captain Lucho came on at half-time. But you could see he was not fit. That was why he didn't start. They were 2-0 down when Lucho came on and they were soon 3-0 down and the game became a training exercise for Arsenal.

England coach Fabio Capello sat in the directors' box with his assistant, watching Theo Walcott. He was probably thinking : Who will give Walcott passes like Fabregas ?

Remember this : Portugal is a producer nation in football. Like France, Brazil, Argentina and Holland, Portugal produces hundreds of good footballers. But their best players move abroad to earn more money. The Porto team that faced Arsenal had only three Portuguese players. Seven were South American, one Romanian, the right back. When Porto got their only draw in England it was on the night that Costinha scored a late goal, when Mourinho went skipping down the touchline. That drama was a very long time ago : March 2004.

United fielded quite a weak team :

MAN UTD (4-4-2): Howard; P Neville, Brown, G Neville, O'Shea; Fletcher (Ronaldo, 74, Solskjaer, 81), Butt, Djemba-Djemba (Saha, h-t), Giggs; Scholes; Van Nistelrooy. Subs not used: Carroll, Bellion, Kleberson, Forlan.

FC PORTO: (4-1-3-2): Baia; Paulo Ferreira, Jorge Costa (Emanuel, 36), Ricardo Carvalho, Nuno Valente; Costinha; Deco, Maniche, Alenitchev (Fernandes, 80); McCarthy, Carlos Alberto (Jankauskas, 60). Subs not used: Nuno, Ricardo Costa, Moraes, Bosingwa.

Compare that with this :

ARSENAL (4-4-1-1): Almunia; Sagna, Touré, Gallas, Clichy; Walcott (Vela, 71), Fabregas, Denilson, Nasri (Eboué, 64); Van Persie (Bendtner, 64); Adebayor. Subs not used: Fabianski (gk), Ramsey, Silvestre, Djourou.

FC PORTO (4-3-2-1): Helton; Sapunaru, Bruno Alves, Rolando, Benitez; Tomas Costa, Fernando (Lucho, h-t), Guarin; Raul Meireles (Hulk, 64), Rodriguez (Candeias, 78) ; Lisandro. Subs not used: Nuno (gk), Pedro Emanuel, Stepanov, Lino.

Its interesting to note that while Arsenal now employ only three of the players from the 2006 final in Paris, Porto have nobody from the side that won it in 2004.

One of Arsene's mantras is consistency and the boys need to deliver again on Saturday. That game will be harder than Porto because Sunderland won't give up after half an hour.

Final word on the enigmatic Robin van Persie? Before this season he had scored 43 goals in 84 starts and 49 sub appearances. That's not too shabby. He's had good games and bad games and some injuries. And, as it happens, many people are far more impressed with his contribution than I am.

If I was a techie, I could put a permanent line, in a different typeface, at the bottom of every ANR piece I write here.

It would say : It's only football. It's only opinion.

Time to show our championship credentials tonight ... we really need a good result against the Black Cats! Go Gunners!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    Time to show our championship credentials tonight ... we really need a good result against the Black Cats! Go Gunners!
    It would not be telecasted right? Anyone with any idea how to catch the match? Please don't suggest flying to England.

WHAT? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

http://www.channelsurfing.net/

try this link,i somehow managed to watch the spurs vs newcastle game while at work sometime back...

1-1 draw, away at Sunderland
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by roDz View Post
    http://www.channelsurfing.net/

try this link,i somehow managed to watch the spurs vs newcastle game while at work sometime back...
    Thanks for the link. Didn't manage to try it out this time. Read the sad scoreline in the morning newspaper, a bad start to a Sunday.

Haiz ... I need a time out ... life is not just about football ...

Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 256789121732 ... LastLast