Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5891011121520 ... LastLast

Thread: Arsenal Football Club - The Gunner's Thread 2

Default Re: Arsenal Football Club - The Gunner's Thread 2

i dunno...this current bunch can definitely outplay any team if they wanted to. i just feel the confidence and committment is not quite there yet.

i think even finishing 3rd this season would be too much to ask for from arsenal...

For me, here's my take of the situation:

AW
    He should be aware by now ... Arsenal is probably one of the most talked about team in not only the EPL but also Europe. Why? Because of the 'beautiful', 'attacking' as well as the fact (debatable) that we're some how endowed with many 'up and coming young stars'. Unfortunately, this has also made us one of the most watched and even studied teams by every opponent. In addition, if you've studied our post-game statistics, most of our goals are scored from where? Inside the box! Should I be the opposing team manager, all I need to frustrate AW and Co is to tell my guys to 'box them out' as it's highly unlikely they'll shoot from elsewhere! Interestingly, if you've watched our last few games, we seemed to have a better strike rate from outside the box, namely the games when Nasri scored from outside the box against the Hammers and this morning when Clinchy scored the lucky consolation from ... outside the box again!
    Come on AW, it's time to change things ... though I must applaud him for bringing in the beautiful game mentality but we're getting pretty predictable for our opponents too!
    In addition, we really need to spend and bring in experienced and very likely expensive players. No doubt we have very promising players but they need models ... how much more can they learn with one another? Besides, what's the point to keep saving $$$ year after year just to repay the loan for constructing The Emirates Stadium? If we remain trophy-less, you think fans and supporters will still want to pack the 60,000 seater?

Our defence
    Those of us who have been watching how we play in the past few seasons should have noted ... our full-backs are always involved in the build up of the attack which also means we'll always be vulnerable to counter-attack which we are used to be known as masters in that area (See? Others can do that as well as us!) So that leaves us with who to cover our back line? At the moment, Gallas who is past his prime and I also believe he's a poor choice as captain, Toure who may be hardworking but still needs someone to guide him (I'd loved to have more commanding figures such like Campbell) and last but not the least Silvestre ... his wealth of experience will be useful for the young ones but he too is past his prime ... we should really consider a change of personnels. Speaking of which, let's not forget Alumnia! Why has Wenger not dropped him yet? Remember Lehmann? He was dropped last season after letting in less goals than what Alumnia is doing now!

Midfield
    I think for the whole of this season, we have been obsessed with finding the direct replacement for the departed Flamini. I've just realised that even if we can find one, at the right price it may not help our cause for now. It's simply because the other half of our midfield dynamo, Fabregas is currently not playing as well as he should be. He just doesn't look as sharp as before ... maybe he needed more rest since his involvement in the European Championship. In addition, Denilson, Diaby or even Song are not really doing a great job in the centre of the park. Walcott? Well he has great pace but other than that, his performances have been fairly inconsistent ... perhaps we're expecting too much from him. In short, we need a change of personal and yes, we'll also need to bring in some experience too!

Forwards
    Now this is my greatest headache. Adebayor in my opinion is not world class. His first touch is poor and unless he has a partner who can draw defenders away from him, then he'll have a better chance of scoring and personally I really doubt he can repeat the feat this season. RVP shoots like a canon and dares to try from any angle but most of time he misfires. He's indisciplined (the latest being his dismissal against stoke) and though I feel the red card was a little harsh but I couldn't have it any other way ... since Wenger can't discipline him (he has this tendency to over-protect his players), then the referee should teach this youngster a lesson. As for Bendtner, he's big and can win headers but other than that, I don't count on him to bring home the bacon all the time. For now, I hope Vela and even the return the Eduardo will lift the team.

All in all, we're lucky that Liverpool lost the game against our bitter rivals as we're only 6 points behind the leaders. But at the rate we're going, with players rigidly instructed to shoot in the box, sticking to players who are under-performing (Gallas, Toure, Silvestre, Fabregas, Denilson, Adebayor and Alumnia), the tendency to talk themselves up (like saying so and so will be stars of the future after winning just a game, talking down on opponents and spend more time talking off the pitch than proving themselves on the pitch) and AW refusing to bring in experience ... at the mean time, other teams are working harder than us, no longer fearing us, roughly knowing how to deal with us, I won't be surprised that we may end up in mid-table this season ...

Sigh ... AW ... please wake up ... if you want to have a different product at the end of the season, you got to change the process ...
    Last edited by Adam Goi; 3rd November 2008 at 01:56 PM.

Nice analysis Adam, so true.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    Nice analysis Adam, so true.
    Thanks but in this case, I still hope that AW will prove critics like us wrong and make us eat our words ... I'll be more than happy to do that!

i still have faith in wenger. i really believe this team can do much much better. all they need is to put their heart, mind and soul into the job.

GET DUG IN, GO GUNNERS!!!
    One-North Explorers

In Arsene we (stubbornly) trust.

A good (monday) morning to you gooners here!

Apologies if my previous post was abit hash, I read some match report that Song was actually smiling and looked relaxed when he came on as substitution in the second half when we were 4-2 up. Probably thinking of collecting his 'win' bonus.

This is the kind of attitude that is WRONG in Arsenal. Song is a bit part player and if he has that kind of thinking, we won't win anything.

As a fan I want to see the run-till-your-guts-burst attitude, and that means the team better pull up their socks and give us 100% commitment and seriousness.

Excellent analysis Adam

So sad to read the news these days...

Haiz, losses, injuries....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

This might be the time, we could see fair-weathered Arsenal fans making the jump to support some other clubs. (eg. betting, winning = $$ huat ah!!)

We need more true fans!

How many of you do support 2nd teams?
    I have a small liking for Liverpool, followed by Hull, quite impressed with their fighting spirit.
    One-North Explorers

Arsenal is the only club for me

I mean we are not mega-successful (yet) so its takes enough energy and distraction just to support them

One 'mistress' enough liao lah sbs99, dun take in more

the main one gets my attention all the time...the only time i multitask is in Fm.
    One-North Explorers

Arsenal and only arsenal for me since 1989, when people liken our style to playing tennis.

For me, around that time Ian Wright days...my friend got a dreamcast jersy, i was so envious, i saved my pocket money damn mad to get my dreamcast jersy. I still wear it now and then, abit cant fit liao...fat. haaa
    One-North Explorers

For me it's around the late eighties when Alan Smith was making a name for himself for club and country .... I used to recall I'd eagerly pick up the Strait Times a day after their match in the then Division 1. I used to hold my breath and predict the score before flipping to my intended sports pages and most of my guesses then were fairly accurate; well it wasn't difficult to predict a score line of 1-0 in Arsenal's favour when George Graham was in charge ...

I started in 88/89 when I got to know a group of frens in the study area of the community centre.

Each of them supported a team in Div 1, 2, 3, 4 and Italian league. I not so hardcore, only choose to support one English team (Arsenal) and 1 Italian team (Roma).

One of them supported Citeh (Div 1) and Newcastle (then was Div 4??). So for him its more tiring following them.

Another supported Nothingham Forest & Southhapmton.. now where is Forest I ask when I see him

OT I know I know

Nice analysis adam!

Can't agree with u more !
    I think we need an injection of experience into the team.

I never really liked adebayor up front, sometimes, his first touch, decision making and striker's instinct is shockingly bad. yes he does score a lot of goals, but sometimes i wonder if another striker would have done better in his position?
    i'm hoping for Eduardo to come back sooner now..

As for our midfield, i really agree that the lack of a Flamini type player is affecting Cesc, although he still should be playing better. But if u look at the line ups he is put with sometimes (e.g. Stoke where he played a long denilson, diaby and song in midfield), i think Wenger either puts too much faith in Fabregas, or his young guns (the other 3 midfielders).

And our central defending pair really needs to be improved IMHO, if u compare it to the other big club's defensive pair, ours just pales in comparison...

Here we go again and this time we won't be expecting favours from Man U. Read the ST today and saw a big caption on the frontpage about the game ... "Boys versus Men".

For me, given our squad which is currently suffering on both fronts, i.e. either key players are carrying injuries or suspension and low in confidence, I have to be fairly realistic of our chances. However, I hope to see an Arsenal side later today, though playing with very tired spirit and legs, will still play with a lot of heart! In addition, I hope their replacements will also grab the chance really well and breathe some life in the squad as well as help to lift the spirit!

Go Gunners!
    Last edited by Adam Goi; 8th November 2008 at 08:27 PM.

Well fellow Gunners...we are ahead at half-time........but only just....2nd half to come......

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5891011121520 ... LastLast