Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64

Thread: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

  1. #21

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by liionel View Post
    just curious, ahquan only offended waiuang by taking his photo, however why does he have to apologise to the whole community? just curious.
    he caused me to waste my time to read this thread

    that said, yes, i think any photographer will be offended by the logic displayed by person. after all, a photo is one's work.. and simply taking it without permission is always wrong, no matter how you paint it.
    Last edited by night86mare; 20th August 2008 at 01:09 AM.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,835

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    he caused me to waste my time to read this thread

    that said, yes, i think any photographer will be offended by the logic displayed by person. after all, a photo is one's work.. and simply taking it without permission is always wrong, no matter how you paint it.
    HAHA! i see where you're coming from..

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    By the way my statement to ahquan in my earlier post -

    "The admin and mods have reached an easy consensus that you are in the wrong and that you owe waiaung and the CS community a public apology at the minimum."

    - is not a demand from the admins and mods team. The statement is our collective opinion, and it is up to ahquan to decide how he wants to deal with it.

    The matter is very much between ahquan and waiaung, who, curiously, seems to have disappeared.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  4. #24
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Roygoh is absolutely correct, Ahquan - your denial that you "never passed it off as mine" will never hold up in court.

    The fact remains when you posted it in your thread and said you "photoshopped" merely gives the impression that you edited the picture.

    Even if you never said "this is mine", but you never said "this is not mine" either. In such a case, the court would look at what impression was given in the absence of any statement, and I do not think that it is unreasonable to find that in the absence of any statement in such a thread, the presumption is that it is yours.

    Rather than try to backpedal and split hairs, I suggest you reevaluate your position again.
    Sadly people underestimate the kind of trouble they might land themselves into. I had this problem recently.

    And to think that some people can still defend what they're doing, and can still shoot back the original photographer, saying that they're unwilling to share, proud etc.

    For my case, this guy took my photo and posted at a forum for crit, without saying it's not his, without saying its mine, just saying "what do you think of (subject), taken at (place)". He still has the cheek to say "not as if i'm stealing from you" and "i'm promoting your shot". Most of the times its not about if the original owner wants to sue the violator, its a matter of ethics and principles.

  5. #25
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    The EIGHTH Commandment - THOU SHALT NOT STEAL

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    The EIGHTH Commandment - THOU SHALT NOT STEAL
    Bro, the way you put it , unless he carry the Cross ............... it woun't work lar
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  7. #27

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Just a little curious, but how much copyright would the owner have if his image has been extensively edited and another design based on his original's?
    Canon EOS 30D , EF 17-40mm F4L USM , EF-S 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by eosdigital View Post
    Just a little curious, but how much copyright would the owner have if his image has been extensively edited and another design based on his original's?
    If the editing was done on the original, no matter how much editing was done, it will still be considered as an infringment.

    If another image was created, base on the original, than it will have to depand on what was copied and how was it used.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  9. #29
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    If the editing was done on the original, no matter how much editing was done, it will still be considered as an infringment.

    If another image was created, base on the original, than it will have to depand on what was copied and how was it used.
    unless the edited version has been altered to the point it looks different from the original right?
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    unless the edited version has been altered to the point it looks different from the original right?
    In theory, you sounds right. cos the creator of the photo might not even know if its his when the photo has been edited extensively. But then again, editing other's photos and posting in your own APAD is really disgusting.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    unless the edited version has been altered to the point it looks different from the original right?
    but what's the point?

    isn't it just more polite and civil to ask permission, and then proceed to give credit?

  12. #32
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
    In theory, you sounds right. cos the creator of the photo might not even know if its his when the photo has been edited extensively. But then again, editing other's photos and posting in your own APAD is really disgusting.
    tell that to the lawyers then. there's the fair use defense and the editing one i mentioned. the funniest thing is this is between 2 people in the thread. i dun see why others must come in and take sides and egg on the malcontent. The mods should just close this thread; the horse is dead liao why continue to beat it?
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    The EIGHTH Commandment - THOU SHALT NOT STEAL
    Just curious - do you have a license for using your Avatar?

  14. #34
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    but what's the point?

    isn't it just more polite and civil to ask permission, and then proceed to give credit?
    in a utopia...but we're not living in one are we? TS should either just take legal action if he is that pissed off otherwise just let the issue go and move on. Flogging a dead horse is not gonna benefit anyone.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  15. #35
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    Just curious - do you have a license for using your Avatar?
    no but i shall recreate more as fan art
    thanks for the heads up

    but i believe that fan art is OK with them
    Last edited by ortega; 20th August 2008 at 12:43 PM.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    tell that to the lawyers then. there's the fair use defense and the editing one i mentioned. the funniest thing is this is between 2 people in the thread. i dun see why others must come in and take sides and egg on the malcontent. The mods should just close this thread; the horse is dead liao why continue to beat it?
    From my understanding this is not considered fair use.

    I did mention that this is mainly an issue between ahquan and waiaung. waiaung initially confronted ahquan in his apad thread. I posted the position of the mods and admin because ahquan reported waiaung's posts 4 times. Later I split the posts not directly realted to APAD to this thread in Kopitiam.

    This thread has been left open to give waiaung a chance to respond. If we do not hear from him on this issue for another day I will close this thread.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  17. #37
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by roygoh View Post
    From my understanding this is not considered fair use.

    I did mention that this is mainly an issue between ahquan and waiaung. waiaung initially confronted ahquan in his apad thread. I posted the position of the mods and admin because ahquan reported waiaung's posts 4 times. Later I split the posts not directly realted to APAD to this thread in Kopitiam.

    This thread has been left open to give waiaung a chance to respond. If we do not hear from him on this issue for another day I will close this thread.
    i'm not saying it was fair use, but that's up for lawyers to argue in court.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  18. #38
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    no but i shall recreate more as fan art
    thanks for the heads up
    exactly what im babbling about here. i think its permissible as fanart but i don't know when the copyright laws will be subjective.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401812

  19. #39
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    exactly what im babbling about here. i think its permissible as fanart but i don't know when the copyright laws will be subjective.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401812
    the problem is that as fan art you do not give the impression that you created it

  20. #40
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Split from ahquan's APAD thread - copyright dispute

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    exactly what im babbling about here. i think its permissible as fanart but i don't know when the copyright laws will be subjective.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...84#post3574884
    huh?

    the TS posted the enhanced foto in his APAD. isn't that as good as saying that he is claiming it as his own? and he even accepted praises for it.

    or tell me then, when did APAD becomes a forum for sharing someone else's work?

    wat does fanart gotta do with it, since the TS did not mention at all, that the image used does not belong to him, and that it is afterall, only a 3D rendered imagery?

    even the TS does not know that.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •