Thread: Any Recommendations for New DSLR user?

Default Any Recommendations for New DSLR user?

Hi hi,

I have been using the Canon S40 for about a year plus now and was thinking about upgrading to a DSLR. Bein awefully new to the DSLR scene, could someone give me some pointers about buying DSLR cameras?

I am currently on a low budget (about 1~1.5k) but will be able to afford a higher one some time in sep (first pay check comin lar..), then budget will up to around 2~3k.

Because my first DC is a canon, I am pretty much in favor of canon products but at the same time, really ill-informed about the other brands. So was hoping that someone might be able to share their experiences about DSLRs with me.

Thank you very much.

Nikon D100 is selling around $2K to $3k... Depends if you get it brand new or second hand.....

As for Canon, think the price is around $1k++ to $2k++ for a 30D or 60D, Sorry not very sure about Canon.

All prices are only for the camera body and it excludes lens for the cameras. So the total investment you're looking at will add another $1k to $2k depending on what type of lens you're buying...

Hope this helps....

tink about how much u willing to spend on the dslr , must set sum money aside too for accesories which can clock up to more than the body itself.
    juz a rough estimate

2nd hand d30 - 1200
    2nd hand d60 - 1900
    new 10 d - 2750 ?

Originally posted by MrSpace
    tink about how much u willing to spend on the dslr , must set sum money aside too for accesories which can clock up to more than the body itself.
    juz a rough estimate

2nd hand d30 - 1200
    2nd hand d60 - 1900
    new 10 d - 2750 ?
    Looks like each jump is about 700++
    seems like D60 might be a worth while buy because of the resolution jump from D30. What about the 10D? any signifigant improvement other than the alloy casing?

duno about the 10d thuogh i neva dared to look so far hehe
    aniwae, tink u should read the reviews of both first ..

Originally posted by hptay
    Looks like each jump is about 700++
    seems like D60 might be a worth while buy because of the resolution jump from D30. What about the 10D? any signifigant improvement other than the alloy casing?
    Given a choice btw D60 and 10D, I'd choose the latter. Some important improvements over the D60 are its improved autofocus, especially in low light situations, much lower noise levels at high ISOs compared to D60, 10x zoom during image preview mode, improved image processing algorithms due to the DIGIC chip. Other not so important features are the improved ergonomics, brigher LCD display screen and other minor additions like the adjustable colour temperature etc.

If I had the cash I would definitely go for the 10D over the D60. However if you are short of cash the D30 is a good compromise at ard $1,200...gives really good value for money...

Anyway as someone had commented b4, getting the body is only the beginning. There are things to factor in like the hidden costs from various accessories u have to buy and of course the lenses are a killer...once u start buying you'll never want to stop coz you'll never ever be satisfied with what u have. Buying lenses is an evil addiction lol.