Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789
Results 161 to 176 of 176

Thread: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

  1. #161

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    Who cares if she is full/original/authentic 100% Korean or not. Its the fighting spirit and the game that matters. I felt the Korean team were much better sportsmen and more entertaining to watch. The Singaporean team were just plain boring and totally no match for the China team. If they (Singapore team) knew they were going to loose, at least, put up a good fight la. Wasted 2 hours of my life watching some players play for the sake of playing.
    But this is your subjective opinion, just like how some people will not appreciate your kind of photography. It has nothing to do with what we are discussing.

  2. #162

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    The way some of you people think, it reminds me of what I read in history books of how the slave traders and masters of that era see immigrants as an inferior species.

    Since when did any of you become superior to immigrants who are fellow citizens, that you can place judgement on them?

  3. #163

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    if our economy is so open den organ trading, renting another's womb, a country's security can oso be outsourced le lor. since $$ can make the world go round.

    with $$$ making the world go round how can anything be harmful? $$ in exchange for goods or services. win-win situation wad. why restrict anything?


    where/wad will such mentality lead to?

    A better future.

  4. #164
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Table Tennis Team Finals Results

    Gold - China

    Silver - China
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  5. #165
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,574

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    The way some of you people think, it reminds me of what I read in history books of how the slave traders and masters of that era see immigrants as an inferior species.

    Since when did any of you become superior to immigrants who are fellow citizens, that you can place judgement on them?
    was there any mention of superiority? as posts add on, some seem to loose their perpective on the core issue on hand.

    when the Chinese were cheering for China, they knew full & well that all the paddlers on both sides were China born. as for Sg taking the Silver Medal, their take on that is that the paddlers were in essence- of Chinese origins. not their parents or grandparents, but they themselves.

    the same can be said of locals who migrated. local papers do point to the fact that those who 'made it' overseas were Singaporeans b4 becoming a citizen in the foreign country. that is the double standard.

  6. #166

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    First of all, let us not demean the efforts of the Singapore team, they have put in long hours and great sacrifices in reaching this level. People may say they are after monetary gains, but which jobs aren't?

    But let us not mix up this issue with migrant workers and professionals (ancient or recent). These workers and professionals are here to push the economy, let us not be so arrogant and naive to think that only Singapore born citizens are capable of holding the highest professional posts.

    However, in the spirit of sporting. I cannot see the value of sending foreign born people to represent the country. Sure, its the Olympics, may the best representative from a country win, not the country who best managed to recruit an overseas talent.

    It is not really fair to speak of economy and sportsmanship in the same breath. Do we really need to win medals to survive or have a higher standard of living?

    Please don't view me as xenophobic or racist, I am questioning our sporting spirit. I do not see these foreign sportspeople as inferior, in fact, they are much superior than what our locals can hope to be.

    I do not begrudge the presence of imported sportspeople, however, I feel that the policies have handed them the wrong role. They could be employed to be trainers, sparring partners of the local born athletes; realistically speaking, our local-born atheletes might not match up to these imports, but I think sportmanship means we should send our 'second-rate locals' rather than the 'first-rate imports' as representatives.

    Let us cheer the 'imports' for their achievements that we have set them out to chase, but let us also take a moment to question our policies of winning in such a manner.
    Last edited by ahbian; 18th August 2008 at 08:42 PM.

  7. #167

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    First of all, let us not demean the efforts of the Singapore team, they have put in long hours and great sacrifices in reaching this level. People may say they are after monetary gains, but which jobs aren't?

    But let us not mix up this issue with migrant workers and professionals (ancient or recent). These workers and professionals are here to push the economy, let us not be so arrogant and naive to think that only Singapore born citizens are capable of holding the highest professional posts.

    However, in the spirit of sporting. I cannot see the value of sending foreign born people to represent the country. Sure, its the Olympics, may the best representative from a country win, not the country who best managed to recruit an overseas talent.

    It is not really fair to speak of economy and sportsmanship in the same breath. Do we really need to win medals to survive or have a higher standard of living?

    Please don't view me as xenophobic or racist, I am questioning our sporting spirit. I do not see these foreign sportspeople as inferior, in fact, they are much superior than what our locals can hope to be.

    I do not begrudge the presence of imported sportspeople, however, I feel that the policies have handed them the wrong role. They could be employed to be trainers, sparring partners of the local born athletes; realistically speaking, our local-born atheletes might not match up to these imports, but I think sportmanship means we should send our 'second-rate locals' rather than the 'first-rate imports' as representatives.

    Let us cheer the 'imports' for their achievements that we have set them out to chase, but let us also take a moment to question our policies of winning in such a manner.
    They are citizens of Singapore. There is no such a things as first rate or second rate citizens, there is no such a thing as first tier or second tier citizens, there is no such a thing as upper class or lower class citizens, there is no such a thing as top caste or lower caste.

    The moment you think of them as citizens, it does not matter anymore.

  8. #168

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    They are citizens of Singapore. There is no such a things as first rate or second rate citizens, there is no such a thing as first tier or second tier citizens, there is no such a thing as upper class or lower class citizens, there is no such a thing as top caste or lower caste.

    The moment you think of them as citizens, it does not matter anymore.
    i think you misunderstood, I didn;t mean first rate citizens or second rate citizens, i mean first rate and second rate sportspeople.

    Would they become our citizens if not for their potential to represent us in sporting events?
    Last edited by ahbian; 18th August 2008 at 09:07 PM.

  9. #169

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    was there any mention of superiority? as posts add on, some seem to loose their perpective on the core issue on hand.

    when the Chinese were cheering for China, they knew full & well that all the paddlers on both sides were China born. as for Sg taking the Silver Medal, their take on that is that the paddlers were in essence- of Chinese origins. not their parents or grandparents, but they themselves.

    the same can be said of locals who migrated. local papers do point to the fact that those who 'made it' overseas were Singaporeans b4 becoming a citizen in the foreign country. that is the double standard.
    You should reflect upon your posts, it is discriminatory towards all fellow Singaporeans who were not born here in Singapore. Regardless of what others have mentioned, your stance is that these people were not born and raised here, and you have a problem with that. I have a problem with people like you, people who love to focus on the negatives and not on the positives.

  10. #170

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    i think you misunderstood, I didn;t mean first rate citizens or second rate citizens, i mean first rate and second rate sportspeople.

    Would they become our citizens if not for their potential to represent us in sporting events?
    The answer is yes if these people posses a skill that will contribute to Singapore in one way or another.

  11. #171

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    The answer is yes if these people posses a skill that will contribute to Singapore in one way or another.
    Well, I agree if we are talking about economical contributions by professionals.

    But not in the spirit of sporting competitions, where we are suppose to send the best we can offer, not the best we can scout.

    I guess we stand on opposite sides on this issue. And I doubt either of us will be swayed nor should be.

    Thanks for the civil discussion, I think I would be repeating myself should I post anymore.

  12. #172
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,574

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    You should reflect upon your posts, it is discriminatory towards all fellow Singaporeans who were not born here in Singapore. Regardless of what others have mentioned, your stance is that these people were not born and raised here, and you have a problem with that. I have a problem with people like you, people who love to focus on the negatives and not on the positives.
    u may have issues with my point of view, that i can see. which country treats native citizens & immigrants on the same level? in many countries, policy difference are aplenty, do such countries not discriminate? why should locals get any subsidies, if any at all?

    i think the word 'discrimination' should not be used too liberally & out of context.

    i see Singapore's flag hoisted up during the award ceremony, i see a Silver Medal in Singapore's name, but i also see foreign brawn hired to achieve our aim- a contract for service of sorts.

    how many different ways must i say it?

  13. #173
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Its okay lah, better not say, after he say we focus on negatives and not positives. The other way to say it is he prefers to see the world through rose tinted glasses.

    There's always a different point of view all the time. Why do we need to "have a problem" with another person here on the forum? Some subtle challenge at work?

  14. #174

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    u may have issues with my point of view, that i can see. which country treats native citizens & immigrants on the same level? in many countries, policy difference are aplenty, do such countries not discriminate? why should locals get any subsidies, if any at all?

    i think the word 'discrimination' should not be used too liberally & out of context.

    i see Singapore's flag hoisted up during the award ceremony, i see a Silver Medal in Singapore's name, but i also see foreign brawn hired to achieve our aim- a contract for service of sorts.

    how many different ways must i say it?
    So are you saying that it is alright to discriminate because it happens elsewhere?

    I saw three citizens of Singapore last night regardless of what you say and I would like to remind everyone else here to take that into consideration.

  15. #175

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    The other way to say it is he prefers to see the world through rose tinted glasses.
    I prefer to built on the positives. I hope that this win will spur fellow Singaporeans to believe that they can compete at the highest level. More so, I hope that more people of other nationalities will want to take up Singapore citizenship after seeing this win as they will believe that they can make a difference here, to contribute in whatever way they can in a positive way. It seems that we have too many here who know how to criticise, but cannot do anything beyond that.

  16. #176
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    24,053
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    ok, that is enough

    enough whining and complaining like ....

    thread closed

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •