Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 176

Thread: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

  1. #81

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    I don't think it is because the players are from China "A lesser place" that is why some of us are not shouting for joy.... In fact China is honestly much superior than us in many aspects.

    I think rather it is disturbing that Coach is PRC Chinese, Players are all PRC Chinese. Oh yes we forgot to mention that they were given Pink ICs to clear the red tape that they are our citizens. And how many like them have decided to return back to their motherland after not being able to deliver the results. The American Sudanese Refugee escaped from Sudan and I really don't think that runner will be going anyway but stay in the States. Our FTs on the other hand have a tendency to pack up and leave after their "stint". Loyalty to Singapore? Citizenship? Its a "what? Pink IC.. here it is, return it to you... Glorious Motherland of China, into your embrace I return to"

    Yes the Nation won a medal. The national anthem gets played.... we Singaporeans cry and weep for joy... while the rest of the world and China sniggers at how we send China Team B to win the medal for us. So what sport is next that we are going to use such an heavy dependence on foreign talent? Honestly call me unpatriotic but I find nothing great to be happy about at the circumstances in which we won the medal.
    Last edited by aeskywan; 16th August 2008 at 05:27 PM.

  2. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    I don't think it is because the players are from China "A lesser place" that is why some of us are not shouting for joy.... In fact China is honestly much superior than us in many aspects.

    I think rather it is disturbing that Coach is PRC Chinese, Players are all PRC Chinese. Oh yes we forgot to mention that they were given Pink ICs to clear the red tape that they are our citizens. And how many like them have decided to return back to their motherland after not being able to deliver the results. The American Sudanese Refugee escaped from Sudan and I really don't think that runner will be going anyway but stay in the States. Our FTs on the other hand have a tendency to pack up and leave after their "stint". Loyalty to Singapore? Citizenship? Its a "what? Pink IC.. here it is, return it to you... Glorious Motherland of China, into your embrace I return to"

    Yes the Nation won a medal. The national anthem gets played.... we Singaporeans cry and weep for joy... while the rest of the world and China sniggers at how we send China Team B to win the medal for us. So what sport is next that we are going to use such an heavy dependence on foreign talent? Honestly call me unpatriotic but I find nothing great to be happy about at the circumstances in which we won the medal.
    Hey, you get some, you lose some. Such is the reality in the world.

    FYI, the United States team can be described as China C.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  3. #83

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by goon View Post
    Apologies if my sweeping statement has kinda ruffled your feathers abit-I should have said that amongst my American friends,they have never talked about or complained about their so called foreign talents pariticipating on their behalf.My mistake i admit !

    If u have read from the media and wire reports,there are many stories about where some of these athletes came from ( eg. the Sudanese runner) and their background,it's mostly about the triumph of the so-called human spirit like how they endeavoured to become an American citizen n eventually become a world class star.Never read about any negative statement about 'these' imports.Well if there's any,i would not have known frankly but in S'pore whenever any of these 'foreign talents' were mentioned there would be some who would just slate or berate them. Alot of people forgot THAT S'pore is essentially a migrant society and God knows what would have been if half of these people didn't decide to come here and import their talents to our shores

    What frustrates me is that ..so what if u are born n bred here? Does it mean u are truly patriotic and would die for your country ,have any of us proven anything? Who might know if we might just migrate one day we hope that the inhabitants over there would accept us and if so does it mean we are lesser s'poreans??Imagine the world where u go ,for work or travel where people treat u like u are some 'competitor'?I have been to many countries and have many stories to tell if u want to know

    If Tian Wei wasn;t proud to be in our colours,would she have fought so hard unless again detractors would just say it's the money n reward she's after? In our society we rely on each other whether it;s the cleaner man from Bangladesh or that kopi tiam lady from China coz they CONTRIBUTE to our society,hence our LIVES,blah blah.The simple fact is that victory has brought us ( most i hope) together n bring some smile back into our lives and hopefully give a shot in the arms of our sports fraternity. Is it because they are from a 'lesser' place that we look down on them? If it's an angmo,i think these detractors would be less vocal.

    Sorry if i kinda spoil the mood of this threat but hey i'm still celebrating n awaiting tmrw's match even if they are born in Timbuktu or Siberia.
    I don't think there's such a big problem if they're born overseas
    I think that there's a lingering feeling that we "buy" our awards.
    National pride is not just about the end results. It's the process in which we obtain our results.

    Also look at the way our sports officials treat our imported sports talents too. Not performing up to scratch? Go back to where you came from.
    It works both ways.

    I think that the comparison with the US Sudanese runner is different.
    I know many immigrants (legal and illegal) who moved to America as they believed in the ideal of the American Dream. America still holds a lot of clout for its ideals of democracy.

  4. #84

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Don' think we can 'BUY' anything for sure unless u can 'invite' Phelps hehe to swim for us. Only a few athletes in the world can really guarantee gold on the world stage.
    Anyway i think for the long term,these athletes can impart skills or experience to our local sports men in the near future so maybe we don't have to rely on foreign talents so heavily.
    Well regardless of opinions it's good to hear some constructive comments on these issues.

  5. #85
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    come on people, learn to see the big picture

  6. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Lintas
    Posts
    208

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Singapore sports council should just continue to promote all sports. Not particular selected sports. I believe the people will be boosted and encourage to do more sports either amateur or professional.

    I am glad that at least this round, CH5 broadcast more "live" events than ever before. Hopefully, it will be more and more in next, next and next, and next.... Olympic Games.

  7. #87

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    come on people, learn to see the big picture
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  8. #88

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    well done
    Last edited by nordleadx; 16th August 2008 at 11:30 PM.

  9. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    卧龙岗
    Posts
    2,736

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by engta View Post
    CONGRATULATION SINGAPORE!!!!!

    Poor me, I'm in Melbourne... unable to watch the match live, but to follow the score on the internet and listen to radio 100.3FM closely!

    Very happy for SINGAPORE
    not sure if you are still in Aust, but SBS is playing the Live telecast for the finals at 9.30pm AEST.

  10. #90

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    come on people, learn to see the big picture
    What big picture? That our sportsmen are increasingly becoming FTs that our scouts recruit from overseas? That we will win more medals in years to come through sending whole entire teams of FTs?

  11. #91

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    I don't think it is because the players are from China "A lesser place" that is why some of us are not shouting for joy.... In fact China is honestly much superior than us in many aspects.

    I think rather it is disturbing that Coach is PRC Chinese, Players are all PRC Chinese. Oh yes we forgot to mention that they were given Pink ICs to clear the red tape that they are our citizens. And how many like them have decided to return back to their motherland after not being able to deliver the results. The American Sudanese Refugee escaped from Sudan and I really don't think that runner will be going anyway but stay in the States. Our FTs on the other hand have a tendency to pack up and leave after their "stint". Loyalty to Singapore? Citizenship? Its a "what? Pink IC.. here it is, return it to you... Glorious Motherland of China, into your embrace I return to"

    Yes the Nation won a medal. The national anthem gets played.... we Singaporeans cry and weep for joy... while the rest of the world and China sniggers at how we send China Team B to win the medal for us. So what sport is next that we are going to use such an heavy dependence on foreign talent? Honestly call me unpatriotic but I find nothing great to be happy about at the circumstances in which we won the medal.
    Try checking out the other countries which has 'foreigners' representing them in the Olympics .

  12. #92

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by windwaver View Post
    Try checking out the other countries which has 'foreigners' representing them in the Olympics .
    Yes that is what the agencies and the press wants you to believe. I even saw how Brian Richmond presenting how other countries have foreign talents. A Chinese in the French Team, a Nigerian in the Dutch Team just name a few. However let me say that beyond the one side skewed reporting to justify the FT scheme. These incidents are so different from our cases. What we have are entire teams literally "purchased" for the sole aim of getting medals. I think we are really uniquely Singapore as the only country that sends the entire team made up of FTs for one sport.

    I don't see other countries do that...

    And our purpose for winning? Simply to show that the ones up there are doing the right thing and our leadership produces medals even if it means depending on FTs to win it for us.
    Last edited by aeskywan; 17th August 2008 at 12:27 AM.

  13. #93

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Anyway I must state that I have nothing against those players and that I too feel they did a good job. However my main grouse is about our leadership's heavy dependence on FTs and notion that they can be used to further our success. In business yes. But not in some things like sports.... it only has a back lash effect. I even heard from friends who are in the coaching circles that they are having problems getting locals to take part in sports as they feel what is the point when the govt continue to import FTs to take the places that should be their's.

    So much for the FT scheme inspiring locals to take up sports.

  14. #94
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon View Post
    hello

    hi, guess I've been out of touch, I was quite surprised when the same players played for more than 1 game.

    Lee Jia Wei played 1 single and 1 doubles
    Feng Tian Wei played 2 singles

    it does not feel like a "team" vs a "team" when the same players keeps playing.

    Was this a recent rule change ? because I don't see this is badminton.
    Could people who are familiar with such play explain the rules ? really curious.

    cheers
    I'm not too sure also but I try....

    From what I understand, each team representing a country fields 3 players. For a country to win, a min of 3 matches must be won. the opening 3 matches are 2 singles and 1 doubles.

    Its a bit like normal table tennis matches. If u win the 1st 3 sets/matches, then u win. But if u lose a set in the opening 2 matches, then u need to win by 2 clear sets/matches. In SG Vs Korea case, it was stretched to a 5 setter/matches which SG won 3-2 while China whacked HKG 3-0.

    SG's 3 players are Li, Wang and Feng. Each played 2 matches with Feng playing 2 singles and Li and Wang played 1 single and doubles match. The opening 3 matches saw Feng and Li playing their singles match and doubles are Li and Wang. Because Korea won 2 matches, Wang and Feng have to play 2 moe singles matches.

  15. #95

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by goon View Post
    Don' think we can 'BUY' anything for sure unless u can 'invite' Phelps hehe to swim for us. Only a few athletes in the world can really guarantee gold on the world stage.
    Anyway i think for the long term,these athletes can impart skills or experience to our local sports men in the near future so maybe we don't have to rely on foreign talents so heavily.
    Well regardless of opinions it's good to hear some constructive comments on these issues.
    Skills and experience can be built up but not the talent..
    Last edited by zeith; 17th August 2008 at 12:56 AM.

  16. #96
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    Anyway I must state that I have nothing against those players and that I too feel they did a good job. However my main grouse is about our leadership's heavy dependence on FTs and notion that they can be used to further our success. In business yes. But not in some things like sports.... it only has a back lash effect. I even heard from friends who are in the coaching circles that they are having problems getting locals to take part in sports as they feel what is the point when the govt continue to import FTs to take the places that should be their's.

    So much for the FT scheme inspiring locals to take up sports.
    Actually, blame the parents. SG parents see sports as no future. They rather their children be doctors, lawers etc etc. Its diff in other countries where sports is encouraged. Plus SG no sporting genes and the talent pool is a bit small.

    Its very common in sports to have foreign imports. In England's football EPL, its flooded with foreign imports and making it difficult for local guys to break into the team.

    Arsenal represents England in European competitions and they are known to field teams of 11 men without a single local guy.

    What is impt is that these foreign imports that represent SG din represent any other country before. A little like football where once u played for a particular country, u are considered as that country's citizen.

  17. #97

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Not sure anyone mentioned this in the thread.

    Our country in fact was made by foreigners too, since Stamford Raffles. Of course, at that time, not those who could play sport very well came here, but those who were very good in trading, business, and subsequently some even have their sons who were then borned here to take up nation building. Nevertheless, that's the most important issue to tackle at that time. This whole process is actually repeating until today, just this time we also pay attention in Sport. Hence, there is really nothing wrong about our table tennis team composition, it's just our mindset. We are in fact the same family! The team has done us proud!!! We need the team to settle down here, and eventually start new roots.

    Cheers!
    Last edited by cheeseme; 17th August 2008 at 01:20 AM.

  18. #98
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    What big picture? That our sportsmen are increasingly becoming FTs that our scouts recruit from overseas? That we will win more medals in years to come through sending whole entire teams of FTs?
    although it is true that we have sportsmen and women that are FTs
    but we need them in order to train our youth

    the big picture is 10 years down the line

    now that we have another medal

    our youth will be inspired
    our youth will have better people to train them
    our youth will have better people to train against
    our youth will have the bar raised to world levels instead of asean games

    the people leading our country thinks in terms of 5 and 10 years down the line
    the sports school is there to train our youth towards that goal
    our youths are our future

    get the big picture now?

  19. #99

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    although it is true that we have sportsmen and women that are FTs
    but we need them in order to train our youth

    the big picture is 10 years down the line

    now that we have another medal

    our youth will be inspired
    our youth will have better people to train them
    our youth will have better people to train against
    our youth will have the bar raised to world levels instead of asean games

    the people leading our country thinks in terms of 5 and 10 years down the line
    the sports school is there to train our youth towards that goal
    our youths are our future

    get the big picture now?
    Hmmm that is one version of the big picture. The big picture I see is locals get edged out as our govt import more FTs as the FT scheme has proven to be a success. Hence we win more medals with more FTs and yes our youth are more inspired to "cheer" for our FT teams.

  20. #100
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    Hmmm that is one version of the big picture. The big picture I see is locals get edged out as our govt import more FTs as the FT scheme has proven to be a success. Hence we win more medals with more FTs and yes our youth are more inspired to "cheer" for our FT teams.
    ok i can now see where you are coming from

    if you cannot defeat your enemy, it is better to have them on your side

    just remember to keep this discussion free from racist remarks.
    and always look at both sides of the coin before making judgement and mindless statements

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •