Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

Default Re: WE WON!!!!! Feng Tian Wei is our heroine!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by liionel View Post
    eh anyone know what happen during the last set of feng's game? suddenly 1 more official come out then the commentator talk so fast, i dont understand sia!

but overall, great match by singapore. koreans played well.. choppers.
    and first time i see table tennis got red card sia, and 2 sumore!
    i think even the commentator didn't understand much, but toward the end, he clarified that one of the rules of expedited play (which kicks in if a match is not completed within 10 minutes) was that there can be no more than 13 strokes in a rally, or something like that, so that official was there counting! must have been very stressful! but v. exciting to watch

My congrat to the singapore team

Congrats Team Singapore
    Mark your calendar Sunday 17 Aug 2008 19:30 for the Golden moment. Gold for it, China is not invincible.

Quote Originally Posted by liionel View Post
    eh anyone know what happen during the last set of feng's game? suddenly 1 more official come out then the commentator talk so fast, i dont understand sia!

but overall, great match by singapore. koreans played well.. choppers.
    and first time i see table tennis got red card sia, and 2 sumore!
    red card in table-tennis what happen?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBen View Post
    Congrats Team Singapore
    Mark your calendar Sunday 17 Aug 2008 19:30 for the Golden moment. Gold for it, China is not invincible.
    allright man.. Gold sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by engta View Post
    red card in table-tennis what happen?
    Scream too much

So China will be taking both Gold & Silver?

Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    So China will be taking both Gold & Silver?
    Not sure about that but I'm sure the decendents of china will take both

was at work.. din catch it.. anyone knows of anymore replay?

Anyway congrats Singapore! =)

An article from April 2008

How Feng Tianwei shot up the world rankings

August 2007: No.73
    2 months ago: No.28
    1 month ago: No.20
    Now: No.12

YOU probably don't recognise her face. And most people won't know her name either.

But all that might change, given the way Feng Tianwei, 21, has been streaking up the world rankings of women table tennis players.

China-born Feng arrived in Singapore a year ago. In just eight months, she has leapt from world No. 73 last August to No. 12 this week.

Her rise has been nothing short of phenomenal, and she has climbed eight places over the past four weeks alone.

Last December, she won the table tennis professional tour's Under-21 crown. Two weeks ago, she beat China's world No.1 Zhang Yining.

Feng is one of the reasons why the national squad is confident about their showing atthe Beijing Olympics . Two other players are ranked higher than her - Wang Yuegu (No. 6) and Li Jiawei (No. 8).

Actually Feng Tianwei technical skills are more advanced compared to Wang Yuegu & Li Jiawei.....what she lacks is experience....

Her composure and coolness is definitely a plus point...playing such an important match in such a big event, I don't see her exhibit any nervousness during the match which is excellent....

Commentors from China (from CCTV Yang Ying and Liu Wei) actually said that they were very surprised she is so composed and cool during the match. They also mentioned that "Feng Tianwei is matured way beyond her age, that's scary."
    Last edited by Stanly; 16th August 2008 at 08:15 AM.

We, Singaporeans must not be ungracious. We must remember and give thanks to China for nurturing the early development of these paddlers, without which their contribution to the adopted country will not be realised. China is still the winner in the final, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by windwaver View Post
    I nearly cried when we WON!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by windwaver View Post
    Scream too much
    damn funny.. who scream too much? The spectators or the players?

hello

hi, guess I've been out of touch, I was quite surprised when the same players played for more than 1 game.

Lee Jia Wei played 1 single and 1 doubles
    Feng Tian Wei played 2 singles

it does not feel like a "team" vs a "team" when the same players keeps playing.

Was this a recent rule change ? because I don't see this is badminton.
    Could people who are familiar with such play explain the rules ? really curious.

cheers
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Quote Originally Posted by goon View Post
    did u?? If I said no one,would u have known??
    See, that's what i mean, wonder where we would be when some of our fore fathers ( from China n India) have come ashore and faced unwanted xenophobia?
    You started by making a sweeping statement about "no one really talks bad about these imports..etc". I asked you where you get that info from. And this is what you reply?

Will there be live telecast? Tml is the PM National Day speech rite?

I am so happy when i saw them won against korea... well done chinese...
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

Anyone knows that actually the Team Singapore coach "LIU GuoDong" is the brother of the China Table tennis team Chief Coach "LIU GuoLiang" ?

刘国栋 and 刘国梁

Quote Originally Posted by macrob View Post
    Anyone knows that actually the Team Singapore coach "LIU GuoDong" is the brother of the China Table tennis team Chief Coach "LIU GuoLiang" ?

刘国栋 and 刘国梁
    国家栋梁-pillars of the country...

Quote Originally Posted by lancey View Post
    You started by making a sweeping statement about "no one really talks bad about these imports..etc". I asked you where you get that info from. And this is what you reply?
    Apologies if my sweeping statement has kinda ruffled your feathers abit-I should have said that amongst my American friends,they have never talked about or complained about their so called foreign talents pariticipating on their behalf.My mistake i admit !

If u have read from the media and wire reports,there are many stories about where some of these athletes came from ( eg. the Sudanese runner) and their background,it's mostly about the triumph of the so-called human spirit like how they endeavoured to become an American citizen n eventually become a world class star.Never read about any negative statement about 'these' imports.Well if there's any,i would not have known frankly but in S'pore whenever any of these 'foreign talents' were mentioned there would be some who would just slate or berate them. Alot of people forgot THAT S'pore is essentially a migrant society and God knows what would have been if half of these people didn't decide to come here and import their talents to our shores

What frustrates me is that ..so what if u are born n bred here? Does it mean u are truly patriotic and would die for your country ,have any of us proven anything? Who might know if we might just migrate one day we hope that the inhabitants over there would accept us and if so does it mean we are lesser s'poreans??Imagine the world where u go ,for work or travel where people treat u like u are some 'competitor'?I have been to many countries and have many stories to tell if u want to know

If Tian Wei wasn;t proud to be in our colours,would she have fought so hard unless again detractors would just say it's the money n reward she's after? In our society we rely on each other whether it;s the cleaner man from Bangladesh or that kopi tiam lady from China coz they CONTRIBUTE to our society,hence our LIVES,blah blah.The simple fact is that victory has brought us ( most i hope) together n bring some smile back into our lives and hopefully give a shot in the arms of our sports fraternity. Is it because they are from a 'lesser' place that we look down on them? If it's an angmo,i think these detractors would be less vocal.

Sorry if i kinda spoil the mood of this threat but hey i'm still celebrating n awaiting tmrw's match even if they are born in Timbuktu or Siberia.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast