Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "This just not my day..." - The low points of photography

Default Re: "This just not my day..." - The low points of photography

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMacro View Post
    Hi everyone

I was just wondering if any of you have the same experience as I do from time to time...

"Typically you start out the day with the camera + equipment, all geared up and mentally ready to shoot for the day. You tell yourself 'This is an excellent day for shooting.' After a few hours later you realise that there weren't many interesting things to shoot, and to make matters worse, you see that the pictures downloaded to your computer at the end of the day are so-so only, poor focusing/exposure/compositional problems...etc. *Delete*. You sigh in frustration..."

Life is not a bed of roses, and "bad days" happen to anyone, even the well-prepared. Not sure how true is this, so please share...

Stay in touch. Cheers!
    If you could review your photos and find out what went wrong, that will actually be one of your successful outing.

When you said there's nothing interesting to shoot, your battle is lost already.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMacro View Post

"Typically you start out the day with the camera + equipment, all geared up and mentally ready to shoot for the day. You tell yourself 'This is an excellent day for shooting.' After a few hours later you realise that there weren't many interesting things to shoot, and to make matters worse, you see that the pictures downloaded to your computer at the end of the day are so-so only, poor focusing/exposure/compositional problems...etc. *Delete*. You sigh in frustration..."
    some days you just don't have the form.

the best way to handle this is to either acknowledge the fact that you aren't exactly going to get good shots every outing, and at least you are realising your problems. and proceed on the next time, taking note what you did wrong the last time. learning actively how to handle failure.

the next best way is to feel angry at yourself and kick your own butt, and try to turn the stress into positive energy to do better next time.

there are a lot of intermediates, but the second worst way is to sit around and complain that life is unfair.

the worst way is simply put - to brainwash yourself into thinking that your pictures are actually great, and if people tell you otherwise, they are wrong.

cheers! and cheer up.

只要功夫深,铁杵磨成针

without these bad days, how can we feel the sibei songness when good days come?

I agree with this. But sometimes, all the energy for the shoot is spent in preparing for it that when you venture out with the camera, there seems to be a drought in ideas for shooting. And when there's no camera in hand, there seem to be photographs all around.

to everyone...

thanks for all the encouragements and "wake-up" calls...good to know I'm not alone. Actually, not so bad lah...sometimes a bit "sian" but hey, that's the "fun" of it too. But I'm not the negative sort of person; I also remind myself that a lot, a lot of practice is still needed.

and hey, weekend's here! got my bag packed already and ready to go. have fun shooting everyone!!!

Hey there,

U noe, I can relate to this. Sometimes, I am up and about and wondering, "Damn, should have just stayed in bed."

And this aint even talking about photography !

LOL !

Take heart, if there are no downs, then we wouldn't know what an up is.

sometimes shoot more also means delete more...when you find the angles or composition very ordinary or normal.
    if i can get one good shot that deserves to be my com wallpaper after an outing, is more than good enough for me.

This is what some people call "hitting the wall". In other words, feeling a bit "sian" right?

Don't shoot more. It may add to the frustration, and as s result, the quality of your shots might even get worse the more you shoot. I don't think it's a matter of technical skill (although I agree that everyone will always have room for improvement). It's more of inspiration.

Shoot LESS. Take your mind off photography for a while. Completely off. Then come back later mentally recharged, the inspiration will return, and your shots should become better.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by k9sparx View Post
    Hey, who say bad days are really "bad"? Look from another perspective, "bad days" can be an opportunity for you to shoot great photographs. Nothing interesting? try viewing it differently! Rain? Find a shelter quickly or improvise and shoot something. Rain can add character to your picture. Remember, nothing is impossible. Its just how you think. If you think its impossible, then it really IS impossible.
    I think he was talking about "bad shooting day" not "bad weather day", hahaha .
    Having a shooting partner will help a little, at least you can help each other to shoot better.

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisN View Post
    Try going out all geared up, sunny day, lots of interesting subject around.

Just when you take your camera out.... realize batt is still on the charger at home.

U-turn home with no mood to come out again.
    forgetfulness, i got it worse.
    left my SD card at home, only after the 1st snap at the location...then realized that never bring memory card while viewing the lcd for pic preview...the feeling of being KO...super sianz.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 16th August 2008 at 03:29 AM.

when I get a "bad day" whereby I feel uninspired to shoot, I actually put my camera back into the bag and enjoy the day for what it is. trying to do more shots when I'm clearly having a bad day is going to make me feel more exasperated and might compound the situation that I am in already.

just the other day I actually forgot to insert my CF card back into the camera. I guess this is due to my own stupidity/lack of checks prior to me taking a trip to the Great Ocean Road for the umpteenth time, but this also allowed me to enjoy the drive more and the scenery even more without the camera. mind you, for me to say that is a bit strange because I've driven to the Great Ocean Road countless number of times now, but I dare say that episode gave me another insight into the beauty of the GOR.

on days like those, I notice that some quiet time spent by myself reflecting on the intrinsic beauty of the world normally gives me the chance to recharge my psychological batteries and then I feel inspired to shoot again.

or when that fails, I just head to the nearby pub and have a drink. or two.

how aussie. heh.
    Last edited by terryansimon; 16th August 2008 at 11:56 AM.

experienced it before. to me it depends on what i want to shoot for the day. if im at the place and i cant feel the "energy" it hard for me to shoot any moments eventhough i planned it.
    NikonD40/D200 | flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    forgetfulness, i got it worse.
    left my SD card at home, only after the 1st snap at the location...then realized that never bring memory card while viewing the lcd for pic preview...the feeling of being KO...super sianz.
    That's the reason why I always make it a habit to switch on the camera when I take it out of the dry cabi and before it goes into the bag =)

Can't switch on = No batt

No SD card inserted = Err Msg

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    some days you just don't have the form.

but the second worst way is to sit around and complain that life is unfair.

the worst way is simply put - to brainwash yourself into thinking that your pictures are actually great, and if people tell you otherwise, they are wrong.

cheers! and cheer up.
    Yea~ Agree~~~

Need form one la.

Aiya, treat is as exercise lor.

Quote Originally Posted by kodkod32 View Post
    "A bad day with photography is better than a good day at Work!!"

Cheer up. There will be bad days and good days . Accept it,learn from it,deal with it and enjoy it.

kodkod
    Good say!
    When even i got time to pull out my gear i feel very happy,
    "Wu yun bei ho yo ching tian"keep going & enjoy this wonderful
    hobby on earth...cheers!
    PENTAX l OldKMan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12