Thread: Human Body Question: The Eye

Default Human Body Question: The Eye

Hey guys, I know this is a weird question, but if there are any biology gurus around, can you kindly answer?

In a digital-camera sense, does one eye handle white balance over the other? Or do both eyes have different 'white balances' that mix (ordered by the brain) to neutralise each other

Here's a test. In the day, focus on an object (I chose a person standing next to a white wall). Notice the 'white balance'. Close one eye and look, then close the other eye and look. Compare the 'white balance' difference.

I'm a left master eye. To me, when I close my right eye, the scene (person, white wall reflection of light) seems a lot warmer (more orange, orange reflections too). When I close my left eye, the scene appears very cool (blue-ish hues; cool reflections).

Anyone?
    Our pictures are our footprints. Its the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Default Re: Human Body Question: The Eye

my eyez have no noticeable WB difference leh...

liddat u must wear lens with differnt WB ler.

I can't detect any perceptible 'colour balance' difference in my case. Both eyes seem to reproduce the same colour to me. But I've heard comments from some that one eye seems 'warmer' than the other, so your remarks is not new. I believe it has something to do with the difference in eye sensitivity i.e. how the retina reacts with light. Some eyes are just more sensitive to a particular spectrum. In fact comparing both eyes, my left eye has a larger 'dynamic range' extending into the infra red region, why I say this? coz my left eye can easily see the infra red emitter of my TV remote blinking, while my right eye can only barely make out the faint blink. When I show this to some friends, they cannot even see the infra red signal and thought I was pulling their leg. By the way the normal human eye visible wavelength spectrum is from 380nm to 750nm. The consumer IR in remote control is 940nm.

Say... since your one eye is 'warmer' (reddish), and the other eye is 'cooler' (bluish), do you see things in 3D ?

Hahah.. 3D glasses? Pfft, who needs them

I think under artificial lighting it's difficult to tell. I asked a lot of people in my class today, and they all had some difference in both their eyes; many of which are regarding the 'color of skin / reflection' ie WB.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Its the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Interesting topic though I can not feel any differences.

LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT

nope.. no diff...both same.. but Left and right got different focussing problem
    How fortunate for leaders that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post

I'm a left master eye. To me, when I close my right eye, the scene (person, white wall reflection of light) seems a lot warmer (more orange, orange reflections too). When I close my left eye, the scene appears very cool (blue-ish hues; cool reflections).

Anyone?

that's new, that's like saying that your two eyes' information are processed differently. it's the same brain.

time to change your spectacles..

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Hey guys, I know this is a weird question, but if there are any biology gurus around, can you kindly answer?

In a digital-camera sense, does one eye handle white balance over the other? Or do both eyes have different 'white balances' that mix (ordered by the brain) to neutralise each other

Here's a test. In the day, focus on an object (I chose a person standing next to a white wall). Notice the 'white balance'. Close one eye and look, then close the other eye and look. Compare the 'white balance' difference.

Anyone?
    ok i get it already.. it works when outdoors in the blinding sun light like now. close left eye, right eyes sees normal, but once right eye closes, left eye sees different colour.

rest your eyes a while.. start with closing right eye and then left eye you'll see the same effect on the other eyes. hahaha neat trick.. but there's still nothing wrong with my eyes. It's just because the sun is so strong when I close my eyes, the sunlight made my eyelids red and I'm actually seeing red under the eye lids. thus when i open it.. every thing seems blue but just for a short while before it normalises.
    How fortunate for leaders that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

Aiyo I don't mean like that haha.. I mean like there is a very slight color tint difference for both eyes. And no, I tried it without specs also =X

Oh well, I'll ask an optician next time.