Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 LastLast

Thread: Canon Photomarathon Asia 2008

Default Re: Canon Photomarathon Asia 2008

Quote Originally Posted by art2d3d View Post
    Does anyone know what is the winning photos for theme 1?
    Thanks.
    The prawn shot.

Thanks.
    How about the 2nd and 3rd prizes?

Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    While I agree that the Hulk photo should not be there, I have to comment on your statement above.

We (I live in Manila before I moved here) are limited to 300-400 participants MAX in the Phil, only Canon DSLRs are allowed (no P&S and other brands) and you're confined to a set area to shoot (last year, it was the Makati CBD only, this year were two private nature compounds). I'm sure if you're faced with those factors, you'll have issues as well of not being able to join (if non-Canon user), too confined areas, etc... The logistics and target marketing involved are totally different. (Philippines is spelled with 2 "p's", by the way)

Let's ask Canon to limit the marathon to Canon DSLR users only and 500 participants max on both categories... Who wants to start a petition?

$10 for a chance to win those prizes are not "treating people well"? C'mon, if you want free food, give-aways and all, maybe it's not the photo contest you're after.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihsan Chua View Post
    IMO, the Open Category winners have a lot of good concepts and technicalities involved in their photos especially in the first and last theme, freedom. Was wowed by the technical execution and conceptualisation. However, can't say for the student cat. Some are not even close to technically correct photos or composition.

The judging seems to have much heavier consideration on concepts rather than technical and composition considerations. However, some of the concepts are also questionable.
    I would agree with you on the student Cat... I did not really understand some of the shots by the winners... Maybe they judge it in a different way for student Cat compared to open Cat ba.

i believe theme 3 3rd place should have won 1st place..... i seriously have doubts on the judges. hahahah. although my photo was shortlistted....

I don't recall seeing the shortlisted works for the Freedom theme. Was it displayed after the prize presentation?

congrates to all e winners!!!! [=

Anyone know about ....
    How about the 2nd and 3rd prizes?

Where to see the winning entries? I saw two photographers taking the pictures of the Hulk poster! In front of me Was shocked when it was shortlisted though.

Lucky man, his win was documented

Quote Originally Posted by bobdoom View Post
    i believe theme 3 3rd place should have won 1st place..... i seriously have doubts on the judges. hahahah. although my photo was shortlistted....
    Both are gd. My personal preference is also 3. Walking towards a dark room and at the end of the room was a door with light appearing. But again, this is very subjective and personal. Both shots are gd.
    Last edited by Ihsan Chua; 19th October 2008 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    The prawn shot.
    Was a very nice shot with the whole setup.

Anyone know how the Theme 1, 3rd winner in open cat achieved that shot without DI. The pic of the ice melting. Background black and white tone but water was greyish blue. The ice has a small spectrum of light with different colours on it. Anyone or the author care to enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by thismarlasinger View Post
    Where to see the winning entries? I saw two photographers taking the pictures of the Hulk poster! In front of me Was shocked when it was shortlisted though.
    Serious???
    I asked the canon printing staff, those photos displayed on the wall,

"Are those the final selected few from each category?"

and i asked two different staff, both said it was only for samples printed from the printers. And NOT the selected finalists. So which is right?

And i agree, the hulk one, if it was a finalist photo... sigh.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Only suck is that Esplanade do not allow taking photos according to the emcee. I understand Suntec not allowing photo since its a shopping centre but the Esplanade is for the public...right or should it be classified as a shopping centre?
    I photograph the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdoom View Post
    Judges? I heard rumors that there was the only 1 judge and that judge could've been Tristan Yeo (Who is a professional at shooting landscapes and travel). I don't dare to confirm this tho. (Although listening to his little lecture up on stage did give me hints of his favored style of shots. Keeping your photos simple ringing any bells anyone?)
    Last edited by Veladence; 20th October 2008 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    Serious???
    I asked the canon printing staff, those photos displayed on the wall,

"Are those the final selected few from each category?"

and i asked two different staff, both said it was only for samples printed from the printers. And NOT the selected finalists. So which is right?

And i agree, the hulk one, if it was a finalist photo... sigh.
    The printing staff also said the same... it was selected photos which are more "outstanding" which they printed out. As for the selected pics, i have no idea. When will the results be announced?

Quote Originally Posted by Veladence View Post
    Judges? I heard rumors that there was the only 1 judge and that judge could've been Tristan Yeo (Who is a professional at shooting landscapes and travel). I don't dare to confirm this tho. (Although listening to his little lecture up on stage did give me hints of his favored style of shots. Keeping your photos simple ringing any bells anyone?)
    You mentioned one important point, yah most competitions u shoot for, higher chances of winning is when the judges have a preference for certain genre of shots. Last year i guess, were preference for straightforward, no underlying meanings. This year, i don't know, i didn't even know Tristan gave a lecture although i reached at 7.30am, was the lecture annouced?
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    The prawn shot.
    It seems that that shot was taken in studio.

it's a fun day
    even this year doesn't have ice cream, brand essence chicken, milk and stuff...
    my only complain...
    the DJ ! you know, when we are enjoying the slideshow, suddenly got DJ from 93.3.. suddenly speaking in chinese in front.. while i believe 1/4 ( or less or more? ) of the people there didn't understand chinese... ( i'm understand a bit ) no offence or what... but i think the audience there come from many different background and country...
    and plus... I want to see the slideshow badly... more than seeing those DJs.... ( no offence for the DJ )

ps : ahhh.. i don't see the infamous bobdoom yesterday!! rugi laaa... should ask his signature and photo together with him ( with clothes )
    Last edited by archlover; 20th October 2008 at 01:03 AM.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 LastLast