Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 589101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon Photomarathon Asia 2008

Default Re: Canon Photomarathon Asia 2008

I Agree with SBS, the event was very well organized (for naysayers, try organizing an event with 50 attendees hehe or attend the airshow)... I just wish there were more insights and speakers, last year, John C's small chitchats were entertaining. The radio DJs were just annoying.

I didn't watch the awarding anymore as my children were getting too tired since 6am, but we had a blast and the shirt was great as well. The freebies are based on sponsors, so if they didn't get those, I wouldn't blame them for it. I think the winning prizes are greater this year than last year as well.

The chance to play with a 1dMKIII and the 800mm was nice as well.

I think the themes are easier this year, the shortlisted photos were mostly very creative

Looking forward to the winning photos and winners.

it was my first time at canon photomarathon. overall felt that the event was pretty well organised, except for some small hiccups.

anyone stayed for the results? will be very interesting to see the winning shots. many shots were very creatively captured.

must train up for 2009's marathon. LOL!
    Find me at Claudia.sg and I work at 24seven

just thinking, with more then a thousand participants...maybe Canon could have made it more fun for those who stayed till the end by having an end of event lucky draw or free-gift events. can give away lanyards, stickers or other misc items.

If the same thing happens next year and no lucky draw or what for staying back, may as well go elsewhere after assignments since if win will be notified.
    I photograph the dead.

They should raffle the 800mm for those who stays until the end of the event

What was the 3rd assigment. Did not stay till anoucement. Went off at 2nd theme after submission.
    UK HMS Photojournalist

it was

Change

Dreams

Freedom

(you wonder if there are anyone who actually posted political pictures)

Quote Originally Posted by acdtss View Post
    CANON photomarathon..?? Why other camera user able join the event..? Den should say
    MIX user photomarathon instead of canon photomarathon..
    If top 3 prize not canon user won, shall say canon user not good? Or canon camera
    not so good den the other cam haha.. correct me if i'am wrong..
    I have been joining the marathon from the start till now, when saw bro or sis wear canon
    t-shirt but carry other type of camera..i was thinking canon company really need other
    user camera to support they're event ma...?
    See Nikon or Sony, they dun need other cam user to join they're event.. they care for
    they're user only. That is what we want,why canon unable do that for they're canon user..
    Do feeback ur comments if any...tks alot..
    Hmmm I think you think too deep. The EPL (English Premeiere League) is sponsored by Barclays so does it mean only people who invest in the bank get to watch soccer? Canon Photo Marathon is a once a year event where photographer be it age or skill can get together to enjoy photography together. It is not only soley about Canon. It is about enjoying photography.It doesn't matter what kind of gear you use or the brand that you actually carry. IMHO, winning the contest does not soley take a camera but skill and creativity is very very important. It is a one of kind event in the world, so you should be proud to be able to take part.

But on a more serious note, Canon does have it own small outings for its users once awhile. If you had attended the course conducted at the training centre, you will realise that they do organise regular outings. I had attended one in June this year.
    Last edited by CanonEOS; 19th October 2008 at 10:25 AM.
    Canon 40D: EF 24-105 L f/4 IS: Speedlite 580 EX II

Allowing other users in is also a good marketing tool to see what's on the other side of the fence instead of being blindly loyal to their brand without knowing the benefits of another.

Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    Allowing other users in is also a good marketing tool to see what's on the other side of the fence instead of being blindly loyal to their brand without knowing the benefits of another.
    From my point of view, this is one of Canon's marketing strategy to promote their products. However, graceful gesture from Canon allowing mixtures of other brand photographers to join is not only to break Singapore Book Record, through this event, hopefully can increase number of ppl take up photography and bring photography to the next level locally. At least I still feel that the girl using a SE K850i I saw was queueing up for downloading photos may buy a proper camera in the future, and through her may bring attention to her friends for such event.

I quite like Triston Yeo talking about his philosophy of photography, I hope me too can move towards that kind of goal too, hopefully. I hope next year, organiser can invite more professioner to give talks.

This was the first time I join this event, I feel it was well organised. Free flow of water was a nice gesture, hopefully next year have a Milo booth because is a marathon afterall, right? haha... I like the T-shirt very much, looked very "L".

I really like the slideshows from all participants, I felt all were very idea and creative, I felt mine is so much weak and weakest the among when mine appear on the screen. I like the photo "Changi word covered the 'I' with 'E'" for first theme; another was the Superman haha...

I find the theme was very challenging, I was really exhausted when the final theme was announced. And I was very inexperience in photography, you can labdel me as beginner or newbie, especially I'm weak in street photography. BTW, I starting shooting was only 10 months.

After this event I will continue to shoot according to 3 themes to challenge myself and limit to jpeg shooting. To train eyeing for creativity as what Triston Yeo had said.

Congratulate to all the prize winners.
    Last edited by sanfong; 19th October 2008 at 11:51 AM.

This is my first time to join in a photography competition and I learned a lot from this event. When the first slide show was shown and photos of the first theme were posted at the photo gallery, I saw lots of creative shots and it made me want to think more when taking my photographs for the next two themes

It was very tiring but it was well worth it!

Maybe we could have weekly assignments to practice for next year?

Yeah...my whole body is still aching from yesterday's event. It was fun!

Anyway I've blogged about my whole experience regarding yesterday's photomarathon and also posted some pics of you guys who happened to be in the same area taking photos.

Overall very well done by the organizers : Lines were very well managed and the free flow of water is great. ( But why cannot find red bull ?)

However, during the second assignment, after downloading my pic, my SD card kenna corrupted. Damme sian lah ! I think the guy try to rush then never eject my card properly!

No choice had to shoot with second card but the shots for most of the day gone just like that liao.......

Advice for canon is to not rush so much until they make mistakes. It is very painful for a photographer to lose an entire day of work

P.s Anyone can help recover pics from the corrupted card ?

Quote Originally Posted by CanonEOS View Post
    Hmmm I think you think too deep. The EPL (English Premeiere League) is sponsored by Barclays so does it mean only people who invest in the bank get to watch soccer? Canon Photo Marathon is a once a year event where photographer be it age or skill can get together to enjoy photography together. It is not only soley about Canon. It is about enjoying photography.It doesn't matter what kind of gear you use or the brand that you actually carry. IMHO, winning the contest does not soley take a camera but skill and creativity is very very important. It is a one of kind event in the world, so you should be proud to be able to take part.

But on a more serious note, Canon does have it own small outings for its users once awhile. If you had attended the course conducted at the training centre, you will realise that they do organise regular outings. I had attended one in June this year.
    Im a nikon user...and i have to admit that I am impressed at how open minded the guys in canon are..this is proof that they are not insecure about their product and that their dedication for photography runs deep...so deep it cuts across camera labels...

Im a nikons user...and im proud to have taken part in the canon event...( i just wish nikon did the same)

Quote Originally Posted by habibansari View Post
    tt is truly unfortunate.
    but a lesson learnt nonetheless.

hope ur fren is ok.
    Nah... he was ok. In fact he respected the fact that Canon is strict on timing so that everyone knows the system is fair. He also liked the fact that everyone had a fair chance at winning the prize even though he was using a Fuji non-DSLR. He's pretty cool about it cuz like most other participants, we joined just to have a good time in this mass photo-taking opportunity!

though I find the mc announcing that they have found a "rival brand" camera quite amusing.. like other brand names are taboo in the hall.. haha..

Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    They should raffle the 800mm for those who stays until the end of the event
    Start the bid for the EF800mm f/5.6 USM IS at $200. Going once... going twice...

It was fun, considering my 3rd year participating it. Also a chance to meet a lot of old friends.
    UK HMS Photojournalist

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    though I find the mc announcing that they have found a "rival brand" camera quite amusing.. like other brand names are taboo in the hall.. haha..
    I'm amazed at the number of cameras lost, and even more amazed at the number of cameras returned! The emcee was announcing wallets, memory cards and cameras found on a regular basis! How can anyone be so careless with such expensive stuff! But I'm proud of the fact that the participants are very honest people who chose to return the cameras/wallets.

Anyway, it's common not to announce the brand/model of the stuff found, to prevent opportunists from claiming what's not theirs. You have to describe what you lost to claim it, including any marks or scratches, or the contents of your wallet etc. That's pure security measures on the part of the organizers.

Cannot announce rival brands? No lah... the emcee repeated so many times... someone misplaced a D200!

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    I'm amazed at the number of cameras lost, and even more amazed at the number of cameras returned! The emcee was announcing wallets, memory cards and cameras found on a regular basis! How can anyone be so careless with such expensive stuff! But I'm proud of the fact that the participants are very honest people who chose to return the cameras/wallets.

Anyway, it's common not to announce the brand/model of the stuff found, to prevent opportunists from claiming what's not theirs. You have to describe what you lost to claim it, including any marks or scratches, or the contents of your wallet etc. That's pure security measures on the part of the organizers.

Cannot announce rival brands? No lah... the emcee repeated so many times... someone misplaced a D200!
    Thats not all. i think also got announce found something that the wife will be angry if never bring home...i am thinking wedding ring, worst case scenario lost the kid?
    I photograph the dead.

although i felt i should have won the 2nd theme... ahahahahah good one from canon... makes me a proud canon user. woot. lover the eos cleanin...woot

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 589101112 ... LastLast