Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what makes a perfect picture...

Default Re: what makes a perfect picture...

the best way to answer questions - especially hard questions - is to ask more questions, even harder questions ... and these questions are:

1. what is "it" you are going for when you frame and compose your pic, and fiddle around with the dials - aperture, shutter, zoom? Surely it was something you saw to make you want make a picture of it? So what is this thing?

2. What is "it" that makes you delete or keep a picture after you taken it and seen it on your preview screen? Why do you delete? and why do you keep? What is this thing?

3. What is in the picture that you see when you decide to process one way or another, or to reverse a step or to discard them altogether, or not to do anything - out of cam, blah, blah, blah - or go to radioactive extremes? Do you have something in mind that you are aiming for? If so what is this thing that you see - or dont - in your mind?

Now is this thing, the measure by which you know/think/judge whatever you do to be "perfect"?

Perhaps you do, but then you are not sure if your perfect is what others consider perfect too.

But why bother about what others think at all? Others' opinions - especially Clubsnappers' - are entirely irrelevant, if not harmful in the first place. For isn't perfect what you alone thinks/feels/knows to be perfection? And no one ought imposed his values/principles/standards on others, isn't it?

Or is it?

Perhaps there is some external objective measure by which "perfection" itself can be measured as perfect or not.

But even if so why should I accept any external, even if objective, standards?

And everything is my choice, including beauty and perfection and even truth.

And so I rather make my own standards.

For if you are happy, that is all that matters, isnt it?

Why meet some standards and be unhappy?

If I want to call something ugly, beauty, then it is so, and if you don't see what I see, its not my problem and perhaps even your loss.

Or maybe, its the contrary: I am not seeing what others are seeing; maybe I am missing out something? Am I losing something? Is there something that I don't get?
    Last edited by espion; 14th August 2008 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    ...just like a pile of crap, even the photographer shoot it with a Linhof 8x10 view camera, Kodak finest grain Ektachrome pro film, schneider lens, with nice mood lighting set up using broncolor flash, printed on wall mural size print, it is still a photo of crap.
    The photographer will call it "abstract".

To me the perfect photograph, is one that is as close to what the photographer is seeing in his mind when he's framing his shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    The photographer will call it "abstract".
    that's truth, till today, I still don't have the ability turn all my crap shots into gold, and not bold enough to call them my Art.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by vii_haven View Post
    To me the perfect photograph, is one that is as close to what the photographer is seeing in his mind when he's framing his shot.
    Most of GWCs shooting XMMs will qualify for this.

It's only a a a a a a a a a a a a a little bit perfect

I dun think "perfect" is a good word to critique a photo.
    Last edited by megaweb; 14th August 2008 at 01:38 PM.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

What a wonderfuulll.... woooorrrld.....

What makes a perfect photo? Only Edison Chen has the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post
    rite, its a tower crane.

with regard to the foreground, its my experience that for wide angle shot, if there is some element in the FG, the pic will look more balanced. else, kind of empty and lopsided.

hmm...i guess you're right, now that you explained your rationale The "development" sign in the fg adds a more 'realistic' mood to the picture (cropping just the circles of light may look too abstract!)

love it anyway, and MAN you're patient to have captured it!

sry to OT

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Most of GWCs shooting XMMs will qualify for this.
    i'm afraid your right!

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    It's only a a a a a a a a a a a a a little bit perfect

I dun think "perfect" is a good word to critique a photo.
    I agree, we cannot called a photo is perfect or not.

But maybe technically we are able to justify whether a picture is perfect or not like the lighting, you can see the details, etc .

But for composition wise, nothing is perfect depends on the taste of the viewer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12