Thread: Rename the Drive

Default Rename the Drive

I store my archive pictures in a portable harddisk. In Lightroom, it is recorded as J drive.

Under certain circumstances, my computer might recognise the drive as I instead of J.

So is there anyway that I can rename the drive as I instead of J?

Or is there any easy way and quick way to do it in Lightroom? If all the files are under 1 directory, I can simply identify one file and LR will locate the rest. However, there are many directories and I'll have to do it directory by directory....

Default Re: Rename the Drive

you can use the disk management tools to alter the drive's letter.. i prefer to start backwards for my external drives so that they always remain the same names even though i happen to plug in a new thumbdrive later. (e.g. Z, X, Y and so on)

The reason why windows recognises your drive sometimes as I and others as J is because windows names drives in alphabetical order (A and B for floppy, C onwards to Z and AA, AB, etc. for other drives). When you already have a drive connected (even an empty card reader is considered a drive), the letter I is taken so windows assigns the next available letter (J) to your harddisk.

Hope this helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by imwint3r View Post
    you can use the disk management tools to alter the drive's letter.. i prefer to start backwards for my external drives so that they always remain the same names even though i happen to plug in a new thumbdrive later. (e.g. Z, X, Y and so on)

How to activate the disk management tool?

Quote Originally Posted by weekh View Post
    How to activate the disk management tool?
    Right-click "My Computer", click "Manage"; "Computer Management" opens up with 2 panes; on the left hand pane you see "Storage" under which is "Disk Management".

Right-click (on the RHS) the drive you want to change, click "Change Drive Letters and Paths..."

yup that is the way to do it
    have used it many times for my usb drives