Thread: hello all, i'm new to photography :)

Red face hello all, i'm new to photography :)

hello everyone

i'm very new to clubsnap and 'proper' photography, so please give me some pointers!

have always used a simple digital point-and-shoot and wish to improve on my shots. step 1 - go ahead and buy a decent camera...

here's where i really need advice

1. i would like to bring my camera everywhere i go (if possible), so the size must not be too bulky.
    2. must have manual options - possible to do long exposure photography?
    3. my main subjects: the vast skies and scenery (panoramic or widescreen shots?), old and modern buildings, people, food!
    4. budget < $900 (hopefully inclusive of memory card + lens if required)

based on these, what would be the ideal camera?

i have shortlisted: Canon G9 - if i get this set and add a teleconverter, or the wide converter, would i be able to achieve decent panoramic shots? Lumix DMC LX 3, or should i wait for the Nikon P6000 or Canon G10?

thanks for being so patient and reading this long post.. please, please advise this newbie!!

Default Re: hello all, i'm new to photography :)

Don't see why can't G9 can't do all of the above. Even my very old G1 could do all these and took really nice pano. <-- DP from my first few shots 8 or so yrs ago.

With 900 you can get a decent 2nd hand DSLR setup inclusive of lens and tripod.

Say a canon 350d w kit lens is going for about 500, top up 90 to get a 50mm f1.8 prime.
    Add about 120 for benro tripod w head.
    Add 100 for a dry cabinet.
    And others for cleaning accessories.

I would go with the G9. That would fulfill all your requirements, and the learning curve for this camera should be sufficient for your needs.

Don't jump into getting a 2nd hand dslr immediately just because it falls within your budget. Figure out if you really enjoy this hobby first before deciding in the future if you want to move on. A G9 is a very capable camera.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

Blog Entries

i'd wait for photokina and then decide after that

technology changes very fast

A SLR may fit your budget for now, but once you start to get accessories and lenses to fulfill the different kinds of shooting you do, it will no longer fit your budget.

Go for the G9.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    A SLR may fit your budget for now, but once you start to get accessories and lenses to fulfill the different kinds of shooting you do, it will no longer fit your budget.

Go for the G9.
    Quote Originally Posted by ngck12 View Post
    With 900 you can get a decent 2nd hand DSLR setup inclusive of lens and tripod.

Say a canon 350d w kit lens is going for about 500, top up 90 to get a 50mm f1.8 prime.
    Add about 120 for benro tripod w head.
    Add 100 for a dry cabinet.
    And others for cleaning accessories.
    thank you for your advice!

i initially considered getting a lower-end DSLR, but i don't think it may be very suitable for a newbie. it may be too technical for now. besides, with the accessories, it will really exceed my budget. i would probably get a new set, as i'm quite keen to keep my camera with me for at least a year.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i'd wait for photokina and then decide after that

technology changes very fast
    you're right! i just googled for Photokina - sept 23 to 28! that is just over a month away.

from experience, usually how long will Singapore get the models after Photokina? i don't mind waiting a little more, seeing that the G9 was released last August. Please share your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    I would go with the G9. That would fulfill all your requirements, and the learning curve for this camera should be sufficient for your needs.

Don't jump into getting a 2nd hand dslr immediately just because it falls within your budget. Figure out if you really enjoy this hobby first before deciding in the future if you want to move on. A G9 is a very capable camera.
    had a look at your Flickr - very lovely shots!

any idea if the G9 is capable of taking fireworks? or long exposure? i've been doing some reading over the net, but can't find anything on that yet...

Quote Originally Posted by ulyssenardin View Post
    had a look at your Flickr - very lovely shots!

any idea if the G9 is capable of taking fireworks? or long exposure? i've been doing some reading over the net, but can't find anything on that yet...
    Perfectly capable. You'll need to be in manual mode and set a slow shutter speed. You will also need a tripod.

Instead of using a teleconverter, consider getting a tripod and familiarise yourself with stitching multiple shots together.