Thread: How clean can you clean?

Default How clean can you clean?

Ok, so it probably doesn't affect image quality, but,
    How clean can you clean the surface or a lens or filter?

Are you ever able to clean it to that pristine never-been-touched look for a mint lens?
    Or even close?

I use a blower, followed by lens tissues with formula mc, but can never get it perfect.
    Like, if you look at it, you can see some cleaning marks, you can see that it isn't perfect.

If I'm out, I'll use blower, breath on the lens, and a microfibre cloth, then followed by a blower.

Whether it is the lens or a filter, it's never pristine. There are some marks that just won't come out.

How do you clean? and can you clean it as good as, or close to brand new?

I know I should only clean the lens when it's really dirty, or if it affects images, but,
    there's something irritating knowing that something is there.

It's like not washing your hands, a very disgusting feeling.

Please share
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Default Re: How clean can you clean?

An ultrasonic cleaner fluid cleaner like those found in some optical shops followed by a wipe dry with clean microfibers will get your filters virtually factory fresh! For lenses, I still find a good long run in the washing machine the best way to get squeaky clean!

A for 'like not washing your hands ... very disgusting feeling', you're not OCD rite
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 12th August 2008 at 10:36 PM.

Thanks DM!
    I will clean my microfibre cloth soon, I think it's collecting dust whenever I use it, and leaves a trail of dust. Ick!
    How do you clean your microfibre cloth?

I'm not OCD, but I can't stand even dust on my sensor which only shows up at f/22, I'd rather not shoot at all. It's irritating.
    Even in my lens, there's specs INSIDE, no idea how it gets in there, but there's really nothing I can do about those. But it's got the same feeling. Disgust. Filth. Hate.

Does the ultrasonic fluid cleaner leave drying marks after you wipe dry?

Do you clean the back element?
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    Thanks DM!
    I will clean my microfibre cloth soon, I think it's collecting dust whenever I use it, and leaves a trail of dust. Ick!
    How do you clean your microfibre cloth?

I'm not OCD, but I can't stand even dust on my sensor which only shows up at f/22, I'd rather not shoot at all. It's irritating.
    Even in my lens, there's specs INSIDE, no idea how it gets in there, but there's really nothing I can do about those. But it's got the same feeling. Disgust. Filth. Hate.

Does the ultrasonic fluid cleaner leave drying marks after you wipe dry?

Do you clean the back element?
    ]
    The ultrasonic wet cleaners are only for exposed single elements like spectacle lenses and filters. The glas comes out super crystal clean and sparkling!

Micrifiber - just wash with diluted dishwashing detergent and rinse very very very very well as the fiber structures are designed to absorb and hold like crazy. Press, do NOT squeeze dry then hang up overnight in a place with little or no air movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    A for 'like not washing your hands ... very disgusting feeling', you're not OCD rite
    If he is OCD he will be carrying his lens whenever he goes and cleans them.

Actually I too find cleaning not easy to achieve a mint surface look, even with the necessary solvents and microfibre cloth. As in if you inspect close enough, there will be a really slight trail left as the last wipe leaves the glass surface. Ok that will probably not affect the IQ. Generally I am not too bothered. A few specs of dust just blow it and carry on snapping.

Rear elements sometimes if abit recessed i rather not touch it during holidays unless it is somehow super dirty or i got the leisure of time.

Ryan

My impression is of that the CSM in NS been haunting him for dirty barrels - "Oei! There's a F** ELEPHANT in your barrel la soldier!" haha...
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

Quote Originally Posted by cheguthamrin View Post
    My impression is of that the CSM in NS been haunting him for dirty barrels - "Oei! There's a F** ELEPHANT in your barrel la soldier!" haha...
    Win! New term for dusty lenses. Adam you got a dust elephant in your 35L.

Ok, so it probably doesn't affect image quality, but,
    How clean can you clean the surface or a lens or filter?

Are you ever able to clean it to that pristine never-been-touched look for a mint lens?
    Or even close?

I use a blower, followed by lens tissues with formula mc, but can never get it perfect.
    Like, if you look at it, you can see some cleaning marks, you can see that it isn't perfect.

If I'm out, I'll use blower, breath on the lens, and a microfibre cloth, then followed by a blower.

Whether it is the lens or a filter, it's never pristine. There are some marks that just won't come out.

How do you clean? and can you clean it as good as, or close to brand new?

I know I should only clean the lens when it's really dirty, or if it affects images, but,
    there's something irritating knowing that something is there.

It's like not washing your hands, a very disgusting feeling.

Please share
    I share your concern cos I used to have this feeling too . Things were much better after I started using a lens pen. Although I still have my blower and lens cloth, the lens pen will get rid of stubborn stains

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Win! New term for dusty lenses. Adam you got a dust elephant in your 35L.
    I've got the whole damn safari having a party on my sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by windwaver View Post
    I share your concern cos I used to have this feeling too . Things were much better after I started using a lens pen. Although I still have my blower and lens cloth, the lens pen will get rid of stubborn stains
    My first cleaning instrument was a lens pen, but I switched after it dried out
    Maybe I will get another one tee hee THANKS
    my flickr - adamloh.com

I've got the whole damn safari having a party on my sensor.
    What's your elephant's skin tone?

If its a multi coated expensive rear lens element, i suggest not to wipe it. Using alcohol is the last resort, but please use the right cleaning agent.

I think there is a gentleman in CS very good in fixing camera gears. Maybe can ask him for a quote for some serious cleaning or wiping.

Last time, i heard a guy said he used Ronsonol fluid to clean lens and he said its so effective to rid stubborn stains, followed by some kind of household alcohol which left it squeaky clean. I think he kissed goodbye to the coating he paid so much for when the lens was new.

So, do as you wish, but dont blame IQ in that lens for the next shoot.

Above just my humble opinion. Your results may vary of course.

Thanks contaxable I'll control myself and try not to touch it, I really don't want to rid the coating
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    What's your elephant's skin tone?
    18% grey?

bought a nikon lens recently, and received a lens pen as free gift (+ coffee powder )..
    the lens pen is good , i highly recommend!!