Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you have a 17-40mm and can only buy 1 lens for a trip, ultra-wide or tele?

Default Re: If you have a 17-40mm and can only buy 1 lens for a trip, ultra-wide or tele?

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    You're suggesting sell the 1740, and get the 1022/70200 combo?
    oops. sorry. i didn't realise you are asking for advise on lens purchase.
    for your trip, it depends on where you are going, and what is your preference (are you a landscapist, a candid shot person, or animal person).

i would suggest UWA lens for landscape, although there is an alternative - do stitching to cover wide angle. this is labour intensive.

Default Re: If you have a 17-40mm and can only buy 1 lens for a trip, ultra-wide or tele?

Think can get a 1.4 teleconvertor and the 10-22mm... Or better yet, sell the 17-40, use the money to get one of those third party 17-50 (tamron) range lenses and a teleconvertor. You'll still get f/4 with the option of f/2.8 without the teleconvertor. And of course, also get the 10-22 for ultra-wides.

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Hahaha.... that would depends on TS having a Crop Factor or Full Frame Camera....

17-40mm x 1.6 = 27-64mm

10-22mm x 1.6 = 16-35mm

27mm compare to 16mm..... there is a big difference
    TS wouldn't even be considering the 10-22 if he was on FF, would he?

Quote Originally Posted by thengz View Post
    Think can get a 1.4 teleconvertor and the 10-22mm... Or better yet, sell the 17-40, use the money to get one of those third party 17-50 (tamron) range lenses and a teleconvertor. You'll still get f/4 with the option of f/2.8 without the teleconvertor. And of course, also get the 10-22 for ultra-wides.
    You can't use a TC on a normal zoom lens. TCs have protruding elements, and can only be fitted on selected lenses, mostly tele lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    You can't use a TC on a normal zoom lens. TCs have protruding elements, and can only be fitted on selected lenses, mostly tele lenses.
    Heard that TC can only be used on prime lenses also rite?
    Tele zoom like 70-200 can fit TC??
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Heard that TC can only be used on prime lenses also rite?
    Yes it can....

Heard that TC can only be is used on prime lenses also rite?
    That is with reference to Canon TC's. Kenko "Pro" one's can fit any EF lens without issue.

As for Canon TC, it can fit the Canon 70-200 lenses, have tried it before. No issues.

yes it does..

hi...im using nikon...i got same problem also...mine is kit lens 18-55 vr...i consider whether to sell my kit lens and get a sigma 18-200 OS...or get a cheaper 18-135 or 55-200 VR...and actually consider Tamron 17-50 f2.8

actually mostly i dun shoot quite far away...but in case of suddenly need it...so wht is the suggestion???im a newbie and wanna a budget lens..

ths so much

Quote Originally Posted by Mrkcw View Post
    hi...im using nikon...i got same problem also...mine is kit lens 18-55 vr...i consider whether to sell my kit lens and get a sigma 18-200 OS...or get a cheaper 18-135 or 55-200 VR...and actually consider Tamron 17-50 f2.8

actually mostly i dun shoot quite far away...but in case of suddenly need it...so wht is the suggestion???im a newbie and wanna a budget lens..

ths so much
    Actually, I have a tele cos afraid that I'll suddenly need that reach also but I must admit, I'm shooting mostly with my 17-40 . For ultra wide, dunno about you guys but I find the distortion at 10mm is too much for my liking, 12mm better

TS wouldn't even be considering the 10-22 if he was on FF, would he?

Wasn't talking about TS..... but to our ClubSNAP-er (Doubleace) who suggest 17-40mm and 10-22mm are both wide angel

Scuba & Father... For Life

Use the Kenko ones, not the Canon ones...

I think he wants to stick to Canon
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mrkcw View Post

ths so much
    Why not just get a 55-250VR?

Use the Kenko ones, not the Canon ones...
    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    Hehe I duno..you'll have to ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    I also dunno la... haven't researched much about TCs... don't need them yet...
    Is there significant IQ difference between Kenko and Canon?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

I also dunno la... haven't researched much about TCs... don't need them yet...
    Is there significant IQ difference between Kenko and Canon?
    There's a small test/comparison here:
    http://www.ygdragon.net/1.4test/

I'm sure there should be many others online
    The Canon one is only compatible with their telephoto lens, the others, you probably could mount on anything, but not barney.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Wasn't talking about TS..... but to our ClubSNAP-er (Doubleace) who suggest 17-40mm and 10-22mm are both wide angel
    no la.. he say he have the 17-40 and decided to get either 10-22 or 70-200. So i tell him to get the 70-200 instead cause 10-22 also wide angle.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleace View Post
    no la.. he say he have the 17-40 and decided to get either 10-22 or 70-200. So i tell him to get the 70-200 instead cause 10-22 also wide angle.
    hahaha.... I think TS was talking about Ultra-Wide

Scuba & Father... For Life

You can use 17-40L to shoot panoramic shots for wider angle

Get a good tripod and pano head

For me,
    light weight, I will use this lens with a prime lens like 85mm / 135mm / 200mm

heavy weight, I will se this lens with a telezoom lens like 70-200mm
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Quote Originally Posted by doubleace View Post
    Um, you do know that 10mm x 1.6 is waaaaaaaaaay wider than 17mm x 1.6 right?

A T/C on a "normal" range zoom lens isn't recommended because the range is still not there when you compare it with a tele zoom like the 70200 or other consumer tele zooms like the 55-250,

Samuel
    f/8 and be there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast