Thread: Sun.You.Shadow

Default Sun.You.Shadow

i was photographer for the recent National Day celebrations for my school. during one of the rehersals one afternoon after school i decided to shoot a little to get a feel of what the actual day will be like.

i didn't really have a particular reason in mind why i shot this... but i guess i would wanna ask whether, did i shoot the pic well in showing that the day's sun was really bright.

thank you
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

Default Re: Sun.You.Shadow

Based on the shadows it shows that its around 8am in the morning?
    Nothing to show its brightness, at least for me.
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

nehh. if its 8am in the morning the sun will be behind the camera

i know my school well FYI

Of course you know your school well.
    Logic says that the brightest moment is the middle of the day; when the sun is right on top with minimum shadows lengths.
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

At first glance it looks like it was taken in a prison with the gloomy feel. Seriously, no offense, it's just a personal view. =)

It's a bright day but yet an aura of gloom was felt in this picture. Guess the participants are dying to get this event done and over with!!! =)
    mytreasurestoyou.blogspot.com - polymer clay beads
    ah-sa-world.blogspot.com - Ah Sa

Quote Originally Posted by SnowSkin View Post
    At first glance it looks like it was taken in a prison with the gloomy feel. Seriously, no offense, it's just a personal view. =)

It's a bright day but yet an aura of gloom was felt in this picture. Guess the participants are dying to get this event done and over with!!! =)
    haha you are absolutely right. it was a hot day for them. those in the contingents were eagerly waiting for go home

Quote Originally Posted by SnowSkin View Post

haha i agree with you but not prison la.. but has the gloomy feel. if thats you wanted to show than you have done a great job. reminds me of my NCC days. more shag than army =p

haha coolio. which school were you from?

Quote Originally Posted by pplneedthelord View Post
    haha coolio. which school were you from?
    yishun secondary. gosh its like almost 8 years ago hahaa

Quote Originally Posted by ahquan View Post
    haha i agree with you but not prison la.. but has the gloomy feel. if thats you wanted to show than you have done a great job. reminds me of my NCC days. more shag than army =p
    I'm assuming that you didn't want the gloomy feel - if so I have a guess as to why:

I get the feeling that the saturation of the picture is very low - hence the gloomy feel. You may want to try upping that - but I fear that you could end up with a very poster-looking image.

Did you adjust the exposure in post-production? It may be that some parts of the picture were underexposed and if you up the brightness by more than a stop in post-production, you can get decent exposure - but the greyish, washed out look appears because the colour information was not sufficient to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by shinobi View Post
    I'm assuming that you didn't want the gloomy feel - if so I have a guess as to why:

I get the feeling that the saturation of the picture is very low - hence the gloomy feel. You may want to try upping that - but I fear that you could end up with a very poster-looking image.

Did you adjust the exposure in post-production? It may be that some parts of the picture were underexposed and if you up the brightness by more than a stop in post-production, you can get decent exposure - but the greyish, washed out look appears because the colour information was not sufficient to begin with.

actually i turn down the exposure because i wanted the shadows to be more obvious when seen.

Quote Originally Posted by pplneedthelord View Post
    actually i turn down the exposure because i wanted the shadows to be more obvious when seen.
    I do believe you can expose for the subject and still have visible shadows with the sun bare and low. If it was covered by a cloud, I'd have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I do believe you can expose for the subject and still have visible shadows with the sun bare and low. If it was covered by a cloud, I'd have my doubts.
    agree. if anything i would expose for the subject first, and enhance the shadow contrast by playing with the curves later. better to start with more info and throw stuff away than to start with an underexposed image that doesn't make full use of your camera's dynamic range - leading to a bland looking image