Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikon are back strong in Olympics

Default Re: Nikon are back strong in Olympics

Heheh... saw my pic of myself in there...

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    n
    unfortunately, that might not be so true. if canon sees nikon as a threat, they would have reacted after D200 was out.

I see a return to a phrase 'nikon is a photographer's company; canon is a marketing company'.
    At the end of the day, does it really matters what we use? It does not as long as what we use can produce what we want to produce.

Photographer's company, marketing company? All slogans conjured up by users. It really serves no purpose.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    I don't think Canon didn't admit there was a problem with the AF... they did spend quite abit of effort trying to rectify it... they just tried to downplay it as much as they can... can read about it here, but warning, its a long drawn saga (ie. the article is very long...)
    "...STILL a problem with the AF", not 'Canon didn't want to admit that there was a problem with the AF'.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...8740-9068-9357

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    At the end of the day, does it really matters what we use? It does not as long as what we use can produce what we want to produce.

Photographer's company, marketing company? All slogans conjured up by users. It really serves no purpose.
    yeah.. totally agree.

I was juz ranting for being stuck on the wrong side of the fence when the tide turns.

also, I'm already pushing my 30D at it's limits (particularly in the af department) and was ready to jump to 1d3 since it was introduced in sg. was out of stock till end 07, then af problems. then, I made a serious mistake in touching the nikon D3 +14-24/2.8 and followed by additional poisoning by the D700... sigh. economically constraint, so juz ranting if you dun mind.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    "...STILL a problem with the AF", not 'Canon didn't want to admit that there was a problem with the AF'.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...8740-9068-9357
    not tat I'm siding canon... but rg analysis, while valid, it's based on a standard that most users don't need. else we would not see any white Ls in the olympics at the sides. which company in their right mind, spending so much resources to get 'THAT' photo wants to risk it to a chancy af that does not give them what they need?

How many users actually need a MkIII? And your observation of 'a company spending so much resources....getting THAT photo wants to risk it to a chancy AF ...' is probably why there are so many more black lenses on the line this Olympics.

How many users actually need a MkIII? And your observation of 'a company spending so much resources....getting THAT photo wants to risk it to a chancy AF ...' is probably why there are so many more black lenses on the line this Olympics.
    let me answer in 2 parts.

regarding olympics, my point isn't more black lenses.. rather there should not be any white lenses already. it just shows that the 1d can still perform as required.

2nd.. it really depends.. some need buffer, some need high iso, some need fps. but i need fast and accurate af that works at f8, for canon non can make it for me at the moment... why? cuz i prefer to shoot macro using af instead of tripod... still trying to catch a closeup of butterfly in flight... sigh...

Pre-focus and laser triggering insects in flight.

Pre-focus and laser triggering insects in flight.
    wah! I already lazy to bring tripod liao... u askin me to bring laser triggers.

Laser triggers very small you know. Can carry a few without adding bulk
    Come visit my Flickr :)

Ya lor ...tripod so troublesome to carry. Just bring this one ... beri easy to carry on shoulder! See! Got wide strap for you to carry summor! Hehehehehe!

http://www.pbase.com/fotoopa/image/64246714

In actual use, it really looks light and super easy to use: http://www.pbase.com/fotoopa/image/72036922

http://www.pbase.com/fotoopa/image/96689951

http://www.pbase.com/fotoopa/equipment

http://www.pbase.com/fotoopa/laser_system
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 12th August 2008 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    in general it does, sort of. But then i'm a nikonian, so what would i know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    It was a marketing strategy in the past by Canon....see their EF lens book...1st page already show a picture where rows of white lenses dominate at sporting events...now doesn't seem to be the case anymore...looks like 50-50 btw Canon and Nikon.
    Actually in the old Minolta days, there were already white G lenses and now Sony is riding on that too. So, not only Canon has white lenses and to me definitely white lenses does not mean it's a Canon lens.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Black lens could also very well be a Sigma.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

This is like arguing semantics.

yeah.. totally agree.

I was juz ranting for being stuck on the wrong side of the fence when the tide turns.

also, I'm already pushing my 30D at it's limits (particularly in the af department) and was ready to jump to 1d3 since it was introduced in sg. was out of stock till end 07, then af problems. then, I made a serious mistake in touching the nikon D3 +14-24/2.8 and followed by additional poisoning by the D700... sigh. economically constraint, so juz ranting if you dun mind.
    The other day I touched a H3DII with a 39MP back ... sigh ... serious economic contraint there ...
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    The other day I touched a H3DII with a 39MP back ... sigh ... serious economic contraint there ...
    I understand... lucky MF isn't my type.

The fps and AF speed sux for sports and BIF... hahaha
    Last edited by CYRN; 13th August 2008 at 01:38 AM.

I understand... lucky MF isn't my type.

The fps and AF speed sux for sports and BIF... hahaha
    hmmm ... fps and AF speed are way overated ...

that is the thing, get teh equipment that best suits your style and photographer. Blind brand loyalty is, well, down right irrational!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Here's another view... someone counted 42 black to 34 white.

Not all black are nikon though. Can be Sigma. I can imagine someone choosing the 120-300 2.8 over original maker's 300mm 2.8. Having said that, there's no denying that nikon is back strong. I remember when you can only see a sea of white and only a few black lenses at the athens olympics. Hopefully canon will do something about their next generation of lenses.

I say watch out for Ricoh in the next Olympics!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast