Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

Thread: Why low-ball?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Thumbs down Why low-ball?

    Caution: RANT (about an oft-discussed topic) ahead.

    If you bought say, a lens at $300, put on sale for $200, SURELY got one fella will "offer 100 for your lens". (And most of the time, this person won't even bother with proper salutations and sentence structure. I already think that's a bit rude to begin with - but hey, that's just me)

    So why do people offer such ridiculous buy-prices?

    Some people say, Oh because I'm a student, and therefore I cannot afford expensive stuff.
    Well, I say, if you cannot afford it, then:

    1) Don't buy it.
    2) Look for cheaper alternatives
    3) Save up for it.

    Sure, I understand that students don't have much money. I was a student once. Heck, now that I'm working, I'm not exactly a jillionaire either. But photographic gear isn't a life-or-death necessity. Especially as a hobby. So the "poor student" reason/excuse is a no go. We're not running a charity here, and some of us actually have to work for our money, you know.

    Then there are those who will try to scam you off with stupid reasons.

    "But someone else is offering cheaper than what you are selling!" (then buy from that person lah)
    "I know you are not first owner, so you must sell cheaper" (So by that logic, am I entitled to buy a 300mm f/2.8 for $500 if I so happen to know that it has changed hands three or four times?)
    "I see that you have not managed to sell it for so long, so I am doing you a favour". Please, if you want to be so magnanimous, go help out at an old folks home and spare me the bullsh!t.

    Of course, there's the classic "just trying my luck" reason. Yah. Why don't you just hang a sign that says "GIVE ME YOUR LENS" and walk around your neighbourhood? You might actually have a higher chance of scoring a deal there!

    The point is, no matter how low you advertise your price, some joker's (usually with a very low post count in CS) going to offer you a price that's just going to piss you off. I used to give replies that range from diplomatic, to mildly sarcastic. But not anymore.

    If you think a seller's price is too high (sometimes seller may not be aware of market/depreciation rate), do kindly explain and then propose an offer. It's only the nice thing to do, instead of a curt "offer 100 for your lens".

    So to all you low-ballers who want to try your luck, just be careful. One day someone might just tua you big-time, like ask you go to Tuas or Geylang at 11pm to wait and never turn up.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  2. #2

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    ? why so irritated?

    I sell a lot of stuff on CS. If the price is too low, I just sms back, "no". Takes, 2 seconds.

    or if it is close enough, no, $xxx best price. 10 seconds.

    sellers always think the price is too low, buyers always think the price is too high. To you, it may seem like low-ball, to them it seems reasonable.... no big deal

  3. #3

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    what a good idea!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    Quote Originally Posted by pisduck View Post
    ? why so irritated?

    I sell a lot of stuff on CS. If the price is too low, I just sms back, "no". Takes, 2 seconds.

    or if it is close enough, no, $xxx best price. 10 seconds.

    sellers always think the price is too low, buyers always think the price is too high. To you, it may seem like low-ball, to them it seems reasonable.... no big deal
    Well, that's because I'm a very, very petty man...

    But seriously, it's my opinion that this is a small part of a greater problem - that S'poreans can be quite "yau-kwee". Maybe it's a matter of perspective, and "reasonable" is relative, but by and large, I think even low-ballers know that they are low-balling.

    To be fair though, the majority of deals I've made here have been very reasonable and no-fuss.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    as long as low-ballers offer above minimum bid ok la, but there r those "yau-kwee" who cant see that a minimum bid is already stated. yet still post/reply with a bid lower than minimum, its .

    low-ballers is a mild term to describe them already. i agree its part of a larger problem, & a very very irritating 1 at that.

    good that such irritating practices r pointed out.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    You are a BAAAD SELLER!!!

    You should offer a "FREE* PHOTOGRAPHY SERVICES" with every low-ball offer given to you on your sales, then you become beri beri famous!!!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    Most of the low-ballers here seem to have migrated over from HWZ. The whole culture there is a low-ball one.
    Alpha

  8. #8

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Most of the low-ballers here seem to have migrated over from HWZ. The whole culture there is a low-ball one.
    Yeah ... and the culture here is for folks to look for FREE photographers or those willing to work for $6 - $10 / hour!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    You are a BAAAD SELLER!!!

    You should offer a "FREE* PHOTOGRAPHY SERVICES" with every low-ball offer given to you on your sales, then you become beri beri famous!!!
    Hmm. That gives me an idea.

    70-200mm f/2.8* @ only $100.00!

    Set includes box, front and rear caps, instructions.
    (Lens not included).

    And pls meet me at Tuas or Changi Point (depending on which is further from you) at 11.30pm to deal.
    Last edited by synapseman; 12th August 2008 at 12:33 AM.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  10. #10

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Hmm. That gives me an idea.

    70-200mm f/2.8* @ only $100.00!

    Set includes box, front and rear caps, instructions.
    (Lens not included).

    And pls meet me at Tuas or Changi Point (depending on which is further from you) at 11.30pm to deal.

    $60 for your 70-200 f/2.8 can or not? Fast deal don't waste if not you foolish. Deal anywhere can oso.

    Or next time, say OK, I sell you the lens for $100, but the glass will cost $2k.

  11. #11
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    Quote Originally Posted by pisduck View Post
    ? why so irritated?

    I sell a lot of stuff on CS. If the price is too low, I just sms back, "no". Takes, 2 seconds.

    or if it is close enough, no, $xxx best price. 10 seconds.

    sellers always think the price is too low, buyers always think the price is too high. To you, it may seem like low-ball, to them it seems reasonable.... no big deal
    good idea, but mine better still,

    I state xxxx, xxxx, xxxx else your PM, sms, email will be ignore.

    just now, I put a few a items on sale, have some very fast responses, but seem never read my thread carefully, anyway I still reply them, "GO and READ my thread again before you text me."
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stad van Manneken Pis
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    $60 for your 70-200 f/2.8 can or not? Fast deal don't waste if not you foolish. Deal anywhere can oso.

    Or next time, say OK, I sell you the lens for $100, but the glass will cost $2k.
    Since you don't include lens I wanna say 40$. I'm truly a poor PhD student
    Come visit my Flickr :)

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Yeah ... and the culture here is for folks to look for FREE photographers or those willing to work for $6 - $10 / hour!
    got worse 1s. those that offer free meals! like,.. big deal...

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Hmm. That gives me an idea.

    70-200mm f/2.8* @ only $100.00!

    Set includes box, front and rear caps, instructions.
    (Lens not included).

    And pls meet me at Tuas or Changi Point (depending on which is further from you) at 11.30pm to deal.
    huh, lense must have lah, but 1 element inside missing! mua-hahaa...

  14. #14

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post

    huh, lense must have lah, but 1 element inside missing! mua-hahaa...
    Hahahaha! You ANOTHER WAN neber read!!!

    I oredi say, you wan 70-200 f/2.8 lens $100 CAN, but the glass will cost you 2K. Auto is mean seperate mah!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    I would personally like to see someone sell a 70-200mm without glass. Heck, I'll take it. $100 is good value for what would be an uber cool paperweight!

    No problem, you can keep the glass.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  16. #16

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    I would personally like to see someone sell a 70-200mm without glass. Heck, I'll take it. $100 is good value for what would be an uber cool paperweight!

    No problem, you can keep the glass.
    Really? I mean, really as in you want ... and not ask me to meet you at Sungei Kadut at 2359? 70-210 can or not?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Hahahaha! You ANOTHER WAN neber read!!!

    I oredi say, you wan 70-200 f/2.8 lens $100 CAN, but the glass will cost you 2K. Auto is mean seperate mah!
    huh, i was quoting synapseman...

    ur lense is not glass wan? not every piece is fluorite de mah...

  18. #18

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    huh, i was quoting synapseman...

    ur lense is not glass wan? not every piece is fluorite de mah...
    Errr...no, that's not what I meant. What I meant was you quoted him without looking at my post, which already offers something even better than 1 element missing. Mine got NO elements unless buyer pays seperately.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Really? I mean, really as in you want ... and not ask me to meet you at Sungei Kadut at 2359? 70-210 can or not?
    Brudder.

    Now YOU trying to low-ball me ah?

    70-200 and 70-210 not same okay! What's wrong with Sungei Kadut? Nearby got Yew Tee, can go there lim kopi.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stad van Manneken Pis
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Why low-ball?

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Brudder.

    Now YOU trying to low-ball me ah?

    70-200 and 70-210 not same okay! What's wrong with Sungei Kadut? Nearby got Yew Tee, can go there lim kopi.
    Aiya you get 10mm extra - why complain?
    Come visit my Flickr :)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •