Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: HDR Noise.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,835

    Default HDR Noise.

    hey guys, recently started HDR processing on my shots and i must say, HDR is pretty addictive!

    anyway, i realised that my hdr images (processed using photomatix) all turn out really really noisy. shot at iso200 and it looks like iso400-800 ? :/

    anyone can help enlighten?

  2. #2

    Default Re: HDR Noise.

    it's like that. don't worry about it. when you print, etc.. it will not show. 100% crops are just that - 100% crops that serve no purpose except to wonder about noise.

    in any case, this is with the disclaimer that you aren't pushing your hdr images too hard.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,835

    Default Re: HDR Noise.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    it's like that. don't worry about it. when you print, etc.. it will not show. 100% crops are just that - 100% crops that serve no purpose except to wonder about noise.

    in any case, this is with the disclaimer that you aren't pushing your hdr images too hard.
    but the image isnt a 100% crop! hmm, yeah maybe i'm just pushing it too hard.. but if you see my raw file help thread at the nikon side, i posted a hdr photo there, what if i wish to create an "arty" photo? then noise would be edvident :/

  4. #4

    Default Re: HDR Noise.

    Quote Originally Posted by liionel View Post
    but the image isnt a 100% crop! hmm, yeah maybe i'm just pushing it too hard.. but if you see my raw file help thread at the nikon side, i posted a hdr photo there, what if i wish to create an "arty" photo? then noise would be edvident :/
    hrm, that is way pushed too hard, reduce the strength.

    also, frankly speaking at that size i cannot see any noise. can you describe where you see the noise? i only see very uneven, unnatural lighting which isn't apparent irl.. that isn't really noise?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,835

    Default Re: HDR Noise.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    hrm, that is way pushed too hard, reduce the strength.

    also, frankly speaking at that size i cannot see any noise. can you describe where you see the noise? i only see very uneven, unnatural lighting which isn't apparent irl.. that isn't really noise?
    hmm.. okay maybe me just nitpicking

    hmm, but to produce like arty farty treatment to the shots, the light smoothening has to be brought down right? or is there any standard work flow to achieve really creative processing?

  6. #6

    Default Re: HDR Noise.

    Shoot all HDR at ISO100 and make sure all the significant shadows are very well exposed. And put a relatively high value for shadow smoothing during Photomatix processing.

    End result will be minimal noise, but still too noisy, eg if you need to meet stock photos requirements (Of course your personal "requirements" need not be answerable to anyone.).

    Needs further processing if you want to further reduce noise.

    If so, I then do a 2 step noise reduction process: Use Filter|Noise|Despeckle in CS followed by Noise Ninja - with a relatively high USM value. (sometimes a double Noise Ninja too)

    End result can be as good as a non HDR shot, ie same noise level even when examined at 100% - but sometimes it still fails, mostly because the shadows were not well exposed at capture.

    Sometimes you can still save it with another step, namely do local Gaussian blur over the remaining noise areas.

    If it still don't work, junk it and shoot again, if ever you have the chance again, or maybe just call it art.

    PS: Also note that Chromatic Aberration is rather pronounced in HDR/Photomatix processing. Best corrected in Lightroom. And again sometimes not possible, especially when you have used a low f# and into the light.
    Last edited by espion; 11th August 2008 at 10:21 PM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,835

    Default Re: HDR Noise.

    Quote Originally Posted by espion View Post
    Shoot all HDR at ISO100 and make sure all the significant shadows are very well exposed. And put a relatively high value for shadow smoothing during Photomatix processing.

    End result will be minimal noise, but still too noisy, eg if you need to meet stock photos requirements (Of course your personal "requirements" need not be answerable to anyone.).

    Needs further processing if you want to further reduce noise.

    If so, I then do a 2 step noise reduction process: Use Filter|Noise|Despeckle in CS followed by Noise Ninja. (sometimes a double Noise Ninja too)

    End result can be as good as a non HDR shot, ie same noise level even when examined at 100% - but sometimes it still fails, mostly because the shadows were not well exposed at capture.

    Sometimes you can still save it with another step, namely do local Gaussian blur over the remaining noise areas.

    If it still don't work, junk it and shoot again, if ever you have the chance again, or maybe just call it art.

    alamak la! my d50 lowest iso is 200. HAHA. and i dont have noise ninja! but wont noise reduction make the image softer and lose details?

  8. #8

    Default Re: HDR Noise.

    Quote Originally Posted by liionel View Post
    hmm.. okay maybe me just nitpicking

    hmm, but to produce like arty farty treatment to the shots, the light smoothening has to be brought down right? or is there any standard work flow to achieve really creative processing?
    won't call it arty farty because i don't like the effect..

    but it's easy to get a radioactive picture, just put strength 100, luminosity 0, white point max, black point max, there you have it

    if you want to nuke it more, just go crazy on shadows/highlight tools in photoshop after that. shrug.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,835

    Default Re: HDR Noise.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    won't call it arty farty because i don't like the effect..

    but it's easy to get a radioactive picture, just put strength 100, luminosity 0, white point max, black point max, there you have it

    if you want to nuke it more, just go crazy on shadows/highlight tools in photoshop after that. shrug.
    ahhh i see. yeah i actually intend to only use hdr when really needed, even then i'll try to process it minimally so that it'll be natural looking(like my apad of my estate, titled "first hdr shot")

    but was just curious how come pple can get radio active shots with close to zero noise..

    im pretty much enlightened now though!

  10. #10

    Default Re: HDR Noise.

    Quote Originally Posted by liionel View Post
    alamak la! my d50 lowest iso is 200. HAHA. and i dont have noise ninja! but wont noise reduction make the image softer and lose details?
    alamak alamak .. then u can only make art lor ...

    i edited my original post where i mention USM ... that is how u counter NR softening ... but since u no ninja this is irrelevant.

    I have not tried CS NR ... but its most cumbersome and just lots of guess work, making it inefficient if not ineffective.

    Bottomline: what are you doing HDR for?

    PS: Commercially HDR stock images tend to sell very well.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,835

    Default Re: HDR Noise.

    Quote Originally Posted by espion View Post
    alamak alamak .. then u can only make art lor ...

    i edited my original post where i mention USM ... that is how u counter NR softening ... but since u no ninja this is irrelevant.

    I have not tried CS NR ... but its most cumbersome and just lots of guess work, making it inefficient if not ineffective.

    Bottomline: what are you doing HDR for?

    PS: Commercially HDR stock images tend to sell very well.
    ayee, just for my own use lah, not for commercial use.

    actually i realise my apad photo, the hdr abit noisy leh... and i was trying to make it look natural. anyone can tell me why?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •