Thread: My first street shots.

Default My first street shots.

hi. new guy here. just got my first DSLR this week so am pretty much young in terms of photography age. heh. went out today for the very first time to get some shots.

would appreciate feedback on my photographing techniques and compositions. Which i think i played too much.HAHA.

[Eye to Eye]
    [shutter speed 1/30] [aperture f/3.5]
    Actually wanted to shoot the subject squatting alone in front of the phone booth but this uncle came out from no where. LoL. It's one of those split-second moments that u see a stranger eye to eye. Result was pretty unexpected. ha.
    Last edited by sadhow; 27th August 2008 at 10:35 PM.

Default Re: My first street shots.

hello.
    i ain't the moderator or anything but you're supposed to post one picture per week in the critique corner.
    but the post processing doesn't work for me.

opps. thnxs for the heads up. pic have been removed.

pretty nice. i like the pp. i never dared to take pictures of strangers.
    esp when he looks like he would land a mighty blow in a jiffy.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bleh/
    let the universe surprise you .)

Nice moment shot, but I think the processing is overdone. It's way to dark. May I check with you as to what you did for B&W conversion? Was it shot in colour and converted, or shot in grayscale?

IMHO, shooting in colour and converting in post-processing renders better contrast and a look that is closer to B&W film (see this website for info on B&W digital)

Also, watch your horizontals and verticals. The picture is slanted clockwise slightly, but it's visible. It takes away impact from the image.

hi calebk. i think i got too carried away processing the pic until it looks overdone. lol.
    Yes,the shot was taken in colour and then converted.
    i do agree that shooting in color and then processing it into B&W produces a nicer contrast.
    Gives it a more 'colorful' black and white i should say.haha.
    dunno why but i like b&w photos, the link was useful and interesting. thanks man.
    Now that u mentioned, it does look a bit slanted. i'll take note on that.

Thanks for the comment!! =)

hello!
    haha. yeah, nice shot.
    but i somewhat feel if you could have cropped out the right space (and leave the two guys within frame), it would have given some mysterious feeling it's like keeping people suspended that something's gon' happen or something like that.
    haha, not too sure, and it's just my opinion. XD
    i never dared to take strangers pic in fear of getting bashed up or questioned (unless event) -.-

Overall nice concept, and you were lucky witht the two guys too! But i agree with the rest that PP is overdone.

You got it right by using Black and white. But i think too much contrast black. And like what HTCahHTC said, maybe cropping out mroe of the right side can be better. =)

i would crop this tighter - it looks like 3:2 ratio, try 4:3, should nicely chop off the unneeded motorbike parked on the right.

dark is fine, but here it is dark for the sake of being dark. when the pp becomes a gimmick and is all that seems to be propping up the picture, then something is wrong here, because i think this picture has more than just pp, it is a good moment.

thank you all for your valuable comments! appreciate them!!!

HTCaHTC-you're right.i can sense the story becoming more vivid just by covering the right side with my hand on the screen already. great idea! thats smth i've never thought of.. =)

iamryansaw- well i only needed half the luck coz the other guy was a friend of mine. ha!!

night86mare- yea. was getting overly excited in my pp. lol. i kinda agree that it was done too dark. so much so that the lady with the hand bag became a motorbike. HAHA. =p

Catatac - hey thanks man. point noted. good street shots are just so0o0o hard to shoot.. or maybe it's just me. =p

which wld bring back to why cropping the pic wld be a wise move? =)

Quote Originally Posted by sadhow View Post
    which wld bring back to why cropping the pic wld be a wise move? =)
    because there are elements on the right of the pic that serves no point in adding to the tension between the walking man and the squatting man..

so might as well crop them off..

yes. i've agreed on that point already. heheheh... =)

Quote Originally Posted by sadhow View Post
    yes. i've agreed on that point already. heheheh... =)
    oops.. sorry i got lost with the exchange of posts! =)