Thread: Ultraviolet film

Default Ultraviolet film?

Was just watching Channel U just now and they had a photographer comment on the Singapore Paranormal Investigators. Thing is they keep talking about UV film. Didn't know they had such film leh...... have ah?

Nobody??

Default Unltraviolet film

Tried asking this in kopitiam but no response... so I thought i"d try here...

Was watching Channel U last neight and there was this program about Singapore paranormal investigators. The photographer Channle U invited was talking about Ultraviolet Film. Is there such a film? Never heard about it before.....

Never heard of such films, try ask Kodak or go to their website, search google for scientific films......... if ghost can be seen with UV film (ghost transmitting UV).....then animals may be able to see them......anyway, i don't believe we can see ghost...it doesn't mean they don't exists though.

Hong Sien

I dun really bother can see ghosts or not. Just want to know got this Ultraviolet film or not. I think he might have been referrring to Infra Red instead.. but he did say Ultraviolet albeit it was in mandarin and subject to translation.

Default The guy don't know what he's talking about

I believe that guy on U-channel was actually talking about Infra-Red photography, just that he don't know how to differentiate betw IR and UV photography.
    here's a few reason to support my saying:

1. There's no such thing as UV film.

IR need special film cos IR photons has lesser energy than photons in the visible light spectrum.
    UV photons has higher energy so it will be more than capable of exposing normal film, just like IR film will be exposed by visible light (that's why you need to have a IR-through filter to cut out visible light for IR photography)

2. UV photography need special lens.

i.e. uncoated lens
    anti-reflective coating that is present on almost all modern lens will absorb UV light. So UV photography with coated lens is impossible.
    Nikon currently has a 105mm lens that is specially designed for UV photograpy, i.e. is use uncoated lens element. that is the only lens I know in this catagory.
    Another choice is to use antique lens. Pre WWII lenses are all uncoated, if you can find one in good condition they can be used for UV photography.

If you really want to do UV photography...

1. you need the Nikon UV lens or a pre-WW II lens.
    2. just use your normal film.
    3. attach a IR-through filter (yes, it's the same black filter used for IR photography) to your lens. IR-rhrough filter cut visible light but allow both IR and UV light through. since your normal film is not reactive to IR so only UV is recorded.
    4. bracket a lot since you don't have a good way to meter
    5. go google and do a study on it.

Threads merged due to cross-posting.