Thread: Lens --- Would you buy a display set?

Default Lens --- Would you buy a display set?

Looking for a particular lens but the only set available is in the display window of the shop..

If you are me, would you get the display set? Or wait a few days (possibly weeks) for new stock to come in? Considering its quite an expensive lens.. $2+k..

Usually how long have the lenses been displayed in the window? Are they returned lens? Or normal good condition lens? Are they cycled out and sold periodically? Or stayed in the display window for as long as it has been set up?

I asked the salesman how long the set has been there.. he replied "one or two days" .. but I know the set has been there for a few weeks at least since I saw it there a few weeks ago.. ..and possibly even longer ... so I cant trust him.. Anyone with more insight?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Lens --- Would you buy a display set?

Quote Originally Posted by rOnGrEn View Post
    Looking for a particular lens but the only set available is in the display window of the shop..

If you are me, would you get the display set? Or wait a few days (possibly weeks) for new stock to come in? Considering its quite an expensive lens.. $2+k..

Usually how long have the lenses been displayed in the window? Are they returned lens? Or normal good condition lens? Are they cycled out and sold periodically? Or stayed in the display window for as long as it has been set up?

I asked the salesman how long the set has been there.. he replied "one or two days" .. but I know the set has been there for a few weeks at least since I saw it there a few weeks ago.. ..and possibly even longer ... so I cant trust him.. Anyone with more insight?

Thanks in advance!
    I think most of the shop doesnt keep stock for expensive lens, it think it will be quite common that they sell display unit.

if u approach bigger player like CP or MS, they shd have new stock.

imo buying lens from display better then buying body from display.
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

of course if price is low.

sorry, is a no go for me.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 9th August 2008 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks in advance!

Wah...which lens are you getting bro? If you check the lens properly, shouldn't be a problem bah. Anyway, there's warranty on the lens right?
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

well if its in display, is it in a good environment where humidity is low and the lens will be in pristine condition?

and the sales man "lied" to you already abt how long it has been there, trustable or not??
    chezburgr i can haz?

I won't buy the display set unless the price is super duper cheap compared to the boxed one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeddy View Post
    I won't buy the display set unless the price is super duper cheap compared to the boxed one.
    thanks for the reply bro.. just curious.. how about if the price is the same.. but that set is the only one left in the whole of singapore? (other than from the official showroom at RRP)? and the next shipment would take weeks? In this case, would you take the display set if its in good condition?

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    well if its in display, is it in a good environment where humidity is low and the lens will be in pristine condition?

and the sales man "lied" to you already abt how long it has been there, trustable or not??
    .. some retailers are trustable.. but sometimes even those reliable "CS recommended places" will have untrustable and unreliable blacksheep..

Well.. we all need to be more discerning when buying things...
    Last edited by rOnGrEn; 10th August 2008 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Wah...which lens are you getting bro? If you check the lens properly, shouldn't be a problem bah. Anyway, there's warranty on the lens right?
    hmmz.. wanted to get the white monster but kana fly aeroplane.. looking for stocks elsewhere...will check the lens properly before making any purchases..

Quote Originally Posted by egnaro View Post
    I think most of the shop doesnt keep stock for expensive lens, it think it will be quite common that they sell display unit.
    Thanks bro.. thats what the shops say too..that they don't keep stock.. the shop ran out of stocks and only have display set .. so considering whether i want to take it or look for new stocks..

thanks for the reply bro.. just curious.. how about if the price is the same.. but that set is the only one left in the whole of singapore? (other than from the official showroom at RRP)? and the next shipment would take weeks? In this case, would you take the display set if its in good condition?
    If I need the lens urgently, then I will just get it. If not, I will just wait until the next shipment.

hmmz.. wanted to get the white monster but kana fly aeroplane.. looking for stocks elsewhere...will check the lens properly before making any purchases..
    Why not get one of our bros who will be heading to HK soon to get it for you? That is if you can wait.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Lens --- Would you buy a display set?
    This answer to this question should be the same as:

Wife --- Would you marry a display girl?

If it is cheap and shop has a return policy. Then, why not?

If it's a current model, then it couldn't have been there too long?

If display set means in glass display, then it's probably okay. If tested in the shop, and still have full manufacturers warranty, I don't see why not, especially if got discount.

But definitely not when it's out in the open for people to touch and try.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman