Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nikon D60 or Canon EOS1000?

Default Re: Nikon D60 or Canon EOS1000?

Apologies for detouring this thread...

What I wanted to say is that choosing Nikon or Canon would not be too far off the mark. But Pentax, Olympus and Sony does have their own system advantages that some might be attracted to, so don't discount them up front.

If you ask me, small and light goes to Pentax matched to it's pancake lenses. A K200D is pretty cheap and have stabilized sensor to boot.

Entry system DSLR currently goes to Canon 1000D/450D for pricing. Want Nikon? Maybe wait till Christmas, Nikon is likely to announce update of their entry level system this September. Basing on past trends, they (C&N) tend to leap-frog each other with subsequent announcements.

Not much into Oly or Sony cuz so far their lenses and accessories are somewhat relatively more expensive.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Well guys thx for all ur wonderfull advice

think i'm getting canon 450D, as it's only SGD200 difference from 1000D

nikon will lauch new entry model in sept? that's interesting, maybe i jz wait till then LOL

450D is perfectly fine. Expensive lens can always be rented/borrowed, and you don't have to worry or even consider whether the lens you are interested in is compatible. People mention about the top view LCD, but with 450D, that's quite useless since the eye detector just turns on the main LCD to show the data automatically. D60 doesn't have this IIRC and you have to press a button to show the info, and this is bloody annoying. Based on this alone, I wouldn't prefer D60 already.
    Research Institute for Unicultural Visual Arts - Riuva.com

Quote Originally Posted by aufklarung View Post
    lol... =D when i mean im lost.. i mean, TOTALLY lost... i dont even understand what the numbers (38-100) means, what's the use of ISO and stuff... im a real NEWB here... i just love snapping pictures... =D using my phone.. lol... can someone give me a lecture.. on the basic.. hahaha

cheers,
    Aufklarung, though your nick may mean "enlightening" in German, I suggest you read the newbies guide stickies, and start to get familiar with Google. Oh, and try visiting the library. Lots of good books there.
    Alpha

lol.. it's just a nick... dont make such a big deal out of it.. i dont really enjoy reading.. prefer people do the talking.. ok.. im sorry if im hijacking the thread... i should start a new thread right? and.. google.. yes.. i know that site.. it's www.google.com right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pauche View Post
    but i have yet to see a 1DM3 with a 18-55 kit lens..... hahahaha
    Uh, cause you can't fit one on a 1D without modification, and even so it's at your own risk.

lol.. it's just a nick... dont make such a big deal out of it.. i dont really enjoy reading.. prefer people do the talking.. ok.. im sorry if im hijacking the thread... i should start a new thread right? and.. google.. yes.. i know that site.. it's www.google.com right?
    Well, like it or not, some of the best sources of info (for me so far) have been good old books and magazines, and even sourcing for articles myself on the net.

People here can only share what they know, and I cannot profess (at least for myself) to know a lot, but there are plenty of pros out there on the web who have posted a myriad of information in different articles, all waiting to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by JChris View Post
    thx for your reply my i'm jz a beginner and cant afford for tis WOW.

LOL
    LiveView... WOW!!! I hardly touch that function on my D300. That's what I call marketing... making you pay for something you don't need...

Quote Originally Posted by eosdigital View Post
    Thing is, if everybody agrees with Nikon with this reasoning, then why did Canon not handicap the range of lens available for the 3 and 4 EOS series?
    And having a cheap body dosent means that the buyer wont use expensive lens..in the Canon subforum there's people who use 3 series with the 70-200mm L series,though it's kinda rare as better body is preferred for their features. But at the end of the day it's the lens that show the WOW factor in photos most of the time
    Because there's nothing to handicap.. Canon does not put a motor in the body like Nikon did. Nikon is just transitioning into the 'motor in the lens' phase like Canon did some time back which crippled FD users completely.. They can't even mount FD lenses on EF mount bodies!!

But of course, there are motivations for what Canon did and what Nikon did.. Different schools of thought, but both camps give quality products with the largest user base. You won't go wrong with either brand.. So just give in to your own preference.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 12th August 2008 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    LiveView... WOW!!! I hardly touch that function on my D300. That's what I call marketing... making you pay for something you don't need...
    thats becos u haven try doing very awkward angles on a tripod, the liveview comes in damnx3 useful when ur tripod is near ground level. yes, one can still use anglefinder, but liveview is more convinent and easier to use as well. personally for me its in the "must-have" list for my next cam. was when i saw my frend using liveview on tripod on his 450d...

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    thats becos u haven try doing very awkward angles on a tripod, the liveview comes in damnx3 useful when ur tripod is near ground level. yes, one can still use anglefinder, but liveview is more convinent and easier to use as well. personally for me its in the "must-have" list for my next cam. was when i saw my frend using liveview on tripod on his 450d...
    It would be useful if the LCD can be flipped up.. Well, I can use a mirror but an angle finder works fine for me.. Usually, I just use a wider angle to shoot and crop later when faced with such a situation. I find LV too slow to use.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    It would be useful if the LCD can be flipped up.. Well, I can use a mirror but an angle finder works fine for me.. Usually, I just use a wider angle to shoot and crop later when faced with such a situation. I find LV too slow to use.
    those are of cos alternative, but definitely not as effective or user-friendly as a simple technology(liveview) when it comes to framing static object... eg landscape, still life... etc and sometimes cropping doesn't work especially so when it comes to certain landscape which require wide perspective. but again, its up to the user to decide its importantness, for heavy landscaper(with use of tripod most of the time), liveview is even seems as more useful than having super fast AF, effective sensor cleaning, low blackout... etc.

EOS1000 did not give me a wow, but it's an entry level camera within my budget with extra live view function.

I'd tried my fren A350 and i dun really like it cuz it's too bulky.

shameful to say tis but yes, i'm a gal looking for light weight DSLR

Light Weight DSLR?? Then go for the Olympus E420, small enough for ladies to hold..

But then again, read up and try the cameras then decide..

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    those are of cos alternative, but definitely not as effective or user-friendly as a simple technology(liveview) when it comes to framing static object... eg landscape, still life... etc and sometimes cropping doesn't work especially so when it comes to certain landscape which require wide perspective. but again, its up to the user to decide its importantness, for heavy landscaper(with use of tripod most of the time), liveview is even seems as more useful than having super fast AF, effective sensor cleaning, low blackout... etc.
    Yup.. I agree that if you do use it then it's a useful feature. I just find it cumbersome for now because I need speed.

I reckon LV will also be useful for macro where you get to see the focus snap into place. Well.. maybe when the time comes, I will find LV useful.

Ya quite true to say that google has solution for almost every stuff as long as your search engine skills are there. But still even with theory, without pratical, it very hard to learn how to take a good photo. For theory on what some of the stuff like ISO, F- Stop, Depth of field, Shutter speed, I would suggest you to get this HWM black book on photography, can't remember the name exactly, try finding and reading it. I recommand to most of my friends who just started holding a DSLR and learning better control rather than Auto, Landscape etc etc... Trust me that you will benefit from it even if you are holding a compact as some shot that you wonder why it doesn't turn out the way you want it to be will be answered

Well guys thx for all ur wonderfull advice

think i'm getting canon 450D, as it's only SGD200 difference from 1000D

nikon will lauch new entry model in sept? that's interesting, maybe i jz wait till then LOL
    i second that, its not that far anyway and you should be good to go longer down the road till the next change...

my 2 cents.. cheers.!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123