Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D60 or Canon EOS1000?

Default Nikon D60 or Canon EOS1000?

ok let's get it straight to the point.

I'm getting my very 1st DSLR, i love to take landscape n night shot.

I had been thinking of Nikon D60 all this while, till last night i went to the shop and try out the camera. It didn't giv me a WOW factor when i hold it in my hand.

Then the shopkeeper recommend me EOS1000. Well I'm not too into Canon before hand. But with almost the same price, EOS1000 comes with LIVE VIEW

Guess I'll get the Canon EOS1000, but need to get some professional advice before I make this rather important decision LOL

Default Re: Nikon D60 or Canon EOS1000?

I recommend the EOS 1000D, the D60 due to marketing tactic does still have the flaw of no built-in AF motor, which means that you cannot AF using Nikkor AF lens i think(the professional ones).

EOS 1000D, on the other hand does have the capabilities to use high end lens(Canon L) and have LV so it's a better choice.
    Canon EOS 30D , EF 17-40mm F4L USM , EF-S 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS

Quote Originally Posted by JChris View Post

I had been thinking of Nikon D60 all this while, till last night i went to the shop and try out the camera. It didn't giv me a WOW factor when i hold it in my hand.
    Buy the Nikon D3 or Canon 1DSMKIII, then confirm the pictures you take will make people go WOW.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

ok let's get it straight to the point.

I'm getting my very 1st DSLR, i love to take landscape n night shot.

Then the shopkeeper recommend me EOS1000. Well I'm not too into Canon before hand. But with almost the same price, EOS1000 comes with LIVE VIEW

Guess I'll get the Canon EOS1000, but need to get some professional advice before I make this rather important decision LOL
    live view on EOS 1000 give u WOW? have you see Sony A350 and Olympus E520 or E420? it shd give u a WOW too.... of cuz wun recommence 1DsMk3 or D3, it may be too much for you.
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by eosdigital View Post
    I recommend the EOS 1000D, the D60 due to marketing tactic does still have the flaw of no built-in AF motor, which means that you cannot AF using Nikkor AF lens i think(the professional ones).
    I suggest you get your facts straight first before posting recommendations.

The D40/D40x/D60 can auto-focus with all the Nikkor AF-S lenses, Sigma HSM lenses, and Tamrons with in-built motors.

The remaining lenses can be mounted and used with manual focus; which is what everyone used to do back in the day anyway, and what many people still continue to do.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

Get the Pentax K20D also can go WOW
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

just go with the 1000d since you already decide on it.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    I suggest you get your facts straight first before posting recommendations.

The D40/D40x/D60 can auto-focus with all the Nikkor AF-S lenses, Sigma HSM lenses, and Tamrons with in-built motors.

The remaining lenses can be mounted and used with manual focus; which is what everyone used to do back in the day anyway, and what many people still continue to do.
    Might as well take 1000d, when it's AF compatible for ALL range of lens, cheap and L.
    Seems like Nikon is playing the handicapped game in marketing tactic...cheap dSLR = limited range of compatiblities.
    Last edited by eosdigital; 7th August 2008 at 11:39 AM.

honestly, i'm a nikonian and love my nikon gear.

But seriously, the D60 is a disappointment compared to the 1000D

So since both camps produce great products, stick with the 1000D and you ought to be happy

Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    Buy the Nikon D3 or Canon 1DSMKIII, then confirm the pictures you take will make people go WOW.
    thx for your reply my i'm jz a beginner and cant afford for tis WOW.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by egnaro View Post
    live view on EOS 1000 give u WOW? have you see Sony A350 and Olympus E520 or E420? it shd give u a WOW too.... of cuz wun recommence 1DsMk3 or D3, it may be too much for you.
    EOS1000 did not give me a wow, but it's an entry level camera within my budget with extra live view function.

I'd tried my fren A350 and i dun really like it cuz it's too bulky.

shameful to say tis but yes, i'm a gal looking for light weight DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by eosdigital View Post

EOS 1000D, on the other hand does have the capabilities to use high end lens(Canon L) and have LV so it's a better choice.
    i agree with him. =)
    Canon - Exhilaration Of Sight 450

It doesn't matter whether D60 has compatibility issue with old Nikon lens with no built in motor. In the first place, when u buy an entry level camera, u dun expect the buyer to buy a lense which is more expensive than the body, right?

so at the end of the day, u're buying a system, which also includes flash, lense, diffuser etc.

I was considering a month ago whether to buy nikon d60/d80 or canon 450d.

But before i bought a new camera i bought a D70 from my fren to try out the "feel".

And that's when i take D60 and 450D out of the equation, they are too lightweight, and it is much better to have a LCD on top of the camera to show u all the settings.

So as most of my frens are using canon, and u can share lens with each other, I decided to go for Canon 40D.

And well, canon has just dropped their price too!

Juz my 2 cents worth of thoughts.

EOS1000 did not give me a wow, but it's an entry level camera within my budget with extra live view function.

I'd tried my fren A350 and i dun really like it cuz it's too bulky.

shameful to say tis but yes, i'm a gal looking for light weight DSLR
    Maybe you can consider Olympus, it's very light and comes with live view too.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Cannotanyhowonela View Post
    It doesn't matter whether D60 has compatibility issue with old Nikon lens with no built in motor. In the first place, when u buy an entry level camera, u dun expect the buyer to buy a lense which is more expensive than the body, right?

so at the end of the day, u're buying a system, which also includes flash, lense, diffuser etc.
    yeah dude, tat's wut i'm thinking too

thx for your great advice!

Live View is basically useless for your landscapes and nightshots. Just get a Sony A200, you can use the Carl Zeiss lenses on it. For sure you'll go WOW.
    Alpha

D60 will not have compatibility problem with the most Nikon expensive lenses. These lenses all have SWM built-in. Ironically, D60 do not auto-focus with older (probably cheaper) prime lenses and cheaper 3rd party lenses that does not have built-in focusing motor. Still... they are compatible, just have to manual focus.

Do some research on what lenses you plan to use. Go feel the camera, play with it a little... see what you like and don't like about it.

Since you do shoot landscapes, the 3 AF points in D60 is quite sufficient, though the more the merrier. Night shots, hmm. Tricky fact that canon does seem to give cleaner pics at high iso. I'm not sure if that's true on the 1000D.

You can't go wrong with either canon or nikon. What I reckon you need is a good lens. Since landscapes don't move, you can afford time for MF on a D60 la. Besides majority of nikon lenses have SWM for AF with D60.
    Rather than seeing a lack of AF motor in D60 due to some marketing tactic, why not see it as suiting the needs of beginners, in terms of price and functionality. Also, it gives a clear difference between D60 and D80.
    The best things in life are free.

I was considering a month ago whether to buy nikon d60/d80 or canon 450d.

But before i bought a new camera i bought a D70 from my fren to try out the "feel".

And that's when i take D60 and 450D out of the equation, they are too lightweight, and it is much better to have a LCD on top of the camera to show u all the settings.

So as most of my frens are using canon, and u can share lens with each other, I decided to go for Canon 40D.

And well, canon has just dropped their price too!

Juz my 2 cents worth of thoughts.

Thing is, if everybody agrees with Nikon with this reasoning, then why did Canon not handicap the range of lens available for the 3 and 4 EOS series?
    And having a cheap body dosent means that the buyer wont use expensive lens..in the Canon subforum there's people who use 3 series with the 70-200mm L series,though it's kinda rare as better body is preferred for their features. But at the end of the day it's the lens that show the WOW factor in photos most of the time
    Last edited by eosdigital; 7th August 2008 at 09:21 PM.

...In the first place, when u buy an entry level camera, u dun expect the buyer to buy a lense which is more expensive than the body, right?
    Not true. Haven't you seen people mounting 24-70L on a 350D?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast