Thread: Sending pictures for print

Question Sending pictures for print

Hi fellow pros!!

I was wondering if anybody has any experience of sending pictures (photos, etc) for printing as postcards, calendars, art pieces etc?

I am asking because I am wondering if these pictures have no copyright statements splashed across them as you would have seen on websites, how do you prevent the printing company from printing or misusing these pictures other than those that you have ordered?

Is there any practical precautions one might take or anything other than relying on trust and contracts?
    G

Default Re: Sending pictures for print

Nobody knows of this matter or nobody bothers with this possibility?
    G

I'm guessing there really isn't a big issue because reputable printers won't risk their reputations using stolen work or without permission.

As in any business deal, sometime trust is by word of mouth, and other times when responsibility a lot is at stake and responsibility lies on multi levels, a contract is standard.

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla60 View Post
    Hi fellow pros!!

I was wondering if anybody has any experience of sending pictures (photos, etc) for printing as postcards, calendars, art pieces etc?

I am asking because I am wondering if these pictures have no copyright statements splashed across them as you would have seen on websites, how do you prevent the printing company from printing or misusing these pictures other than those that you have ordered?

Is there any practical precautions one might take or anything other than relying on trust and contracts?
    No professional in the right mind works on trust. All details, copyright etc must be settled on a contract. Anything other than that is refutable. Even though verbal evidence is admissible in court, it'll be really messy to sort it out. If one party breaks the contract, just go ahead and get a lawyer's letter for the party that broke the contract, the matter will likely be settled out of court for compensation.

The Zohan.

vince123123
    Guests

There is no need to put a copyright notice in order to enforce copyright against an infringer.

If the publisher uses the work in an unauthorised manner, he will be liable for copyright infringement.

There is no need for a contract to enforce such rights against the publisher or against any third party infringer for that matter.

Hi fellow pros!!

cool....thanks for the replies....

I always thought contracts are always used with high-value items or BIG orders.....so was wondering if contracts are applicable with small orders like 1,000 pcs...
    G

cool....thanks for the replies....

I always thought contracts are always used with high-value items or BIG orders.....so was wondering if contracts are applicable with small orders like 1,000 pcs...
    everyday we enter into contracts. eg: when you buy chicken rice from the uncle =) hope it answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by ahquan View Post
    everyday we enter into contracts. eg: when you buy chicken rice from the uncle =) hope it answers your question.
    In the context of the discussion, we are referring to a black and white contract, the kind where the client and supplier has to sign on the dotted line.

To answer the TS, yes, even with small orders, contracts are also needed. You never know when small orders can become big problems.

The Zohan.

vince123123
    Guests

Yes but in your case, a written contract or even verbal contract, is not required to enforce your copyright against the errant publisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Zohan View Post
    In the context of the discussion, we are referring to a black and white contract, the kind where the client and supplier has to sign on the dotted line.

To answer the TS, yes, even with small orders, contracts are also needed. You never know when small orders can become big problems.

The Zohan.

uncalled for figure of speech!

Anyway, look up the zohan for legal advice he seem knowledgeable compared to us =)

uncalled for figure of speech!

Anyway, look up the zohan for legal advice he seem knowledgeable compared to us =)
    Hello ahquan,

Sincerely, I don't know what you mean by that. Could you explain "uncalled for figure of speech?". I was trying to clarify some points that you have made.

The Zohan.
    Last edited by Zohan; 9th August 2008 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Yes but in your case, a written contract or even verbal contract, is not required to enforce your copyright against the errant publisher.
    Hello vince123123,

Thanks for clarifying, you are right in this case.

The Zohan.

Hello ahquan,

Sincerely, I don't know what you mean by that. Could you explain "uncalled for figure of speech?". I was trying to clarify some points that you have made.

The Zohan.
    do read through the thread or maybe look through your comments and you'll understand. If you still don't, it's okay. We are all here to help the TS not to start some senseless war!

do read through the thread or maybe look through your comments and you'll understand. If you still don't, it's okay. We are all here to help the TS not to start some senseless war!
    Hello ahquan,

I seem to have offended you. It's your prerogative to inform the offending party what you have been offended by. If you don't, it's terribly unfair and unfortunately you will look petty. There is no war, there's only a disagreement with what you have stated earlier.

The Zohan.

Hello ahquan,

I seem to have offended you. It's your prerogative to inform the offending party what you have been offended by. If you don't, it's terribly unfair and unfortunately you will look petty. There is no war, there's only a disagreement with what you have stated earlier.

The Zohan.
    nah.. not really offensive but more of the tone used. not only to me but generally how you normally answer. Perhaps it's just me who find it a whisker too harsh! I've got nth against you, its probably how you normally is.

Hi Zohan and Ah Quan.....

thanks for your replies.... hope this thread didn't start any war or disagreement between u....

i understand zohan's concern about how small orders may turn into big problems and also ah quan's explanation in layman terms of contracts....

Please relax...u 2 have helped by responding...

Hi Vince....

I was not thinking of the actions i can take to get my rights or enforce my rights.... i was more concerned about the preventive measures that i can take to ensure or make it costly to reproduce the pictures for other uses...

contract is a good deterrent but if poorly worded may not help me much...is there anything else i can do, technologically or otherwise?

G

nah.. not really offensive but more of the tone used. not only to me but generally how you normally answer. Perhaps it's just me who find it a whisker too harsh! I've got nth against you, its probably how you normally is.
    Thank you for trying to understand my point of view. I appreciate it.

For the TS, there is no way technologically to stop the printer from misusing your image. It's impossible. However, I always remember my ex-boss telling me that stock image companies were just waiting for people to misuse their images (this was back in the days where images were rights managed instead of royalty free). In that case, they would get ready to sue the offending party coz it was a good way to make money. In your case, don't be afraid of folks misusing your images, the law protects and you might get a good profit from other folks misusing your work.

The Zohan
    Last edited by Zohan; 10th August 2008 at 05:22 AM.

vince123123
    Guests

Hmm, actually it will be very difficult, other than to give advance warning to the publisher, to prevent him from misusing your photos. This is because you would have passed him the nice nice proofs to use to print for your magazine/book/album already.

However, I have yet to hear of a case where a publisher goes and uses his customer's work and sells it on his own. I doubt any publisher will want to do that as exposure of it will mean the end of his publishing business. Which customer will go there if it is found out that they will misuse customer's works?

Hi Vince....

I was not thinking of the actions i can take to get my rights or enforce my rights.... i was more concerned about the preventive measures that i can take to ensure or make it costly to reproduce the pictures for other uses...

contract is a good deterrent but if poorly worded may not help me much...is there anything else i can do, technologically or otherwise?