Thread: One day in your life

Default One day in your life

c&c welcome.

Took this on a sunday morning, when people gather to keep fit.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    - Composition, effect of pp.
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    - Question oneself: when did you last exercise?
    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    - Morning 8+, feeling fresh and tired at the same time (not enuff zzzz....)
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    - Every effort make is well spent.

thanks for viewing.

Default Re: One day in your life

From what I've learnt from Clubsnap, if the subject does not have much brilliant colours, selective colouring might not work that well. Seems like the old man was copy-pasted into that photo XD

my 2cents
    Canon 400D 18-55-250IS:)
    My Flickr

The picture is grainy. Didnt really understand what the effect you are trying to do.

he don't look too healthy to motivate me to start excercising. Looks just like the rest

Quote Originally Posted by pictureperfect View Post
    From what I've learnt from Clubsnap, if the subject does not have much brilliant colours, selective colouring might not work that well. Seems like the old man was copy-pasted into that photo XD

my 2cents
    Thanks. One photo, just pp to bring focus to the old gentleman.

Original (only resize): http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3193/...138041572d.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd-Hamsterlord View Post
    The picture is grainy. Didnt really understand what the effect you are trying to do.
    Thanks. Same as above, to bring focus to the old gentleman, and the original photo was low in contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    he don't look too healthy to motivate me to start excercising. Looks just like the rest
    thanks. Let me see if I can find an younger subject....
    Last edited by ricodzeus; 5th August 2008 at 11:29 PM.

...with his hands like that, he looked more like asking for mercy / praying than exercising...
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

Quote Originally Posted by cheguthamrin View Post
    ...with his hands like that, he looked more like asking for mercy / praying than exercising...
    you are right, I think they were doing a circular forward action.
    Last edited by ricodzeus; 6th August 2008 at 08:37 AM.

You could try vignetting to bring focus to the old man.
    Canon 400D 18-55-250IS:)
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by pictureperfect View Post
    You could try vignetting to bring focus to the old man.
    Noted with thanks.

IMHO, the colour accenting doesn't work here. pictureperfect is sort of right in saying that the subject comes off stronger colour accenting when it is boldly coloured, like here:

The black and white background is also not contrasty enough. I'm guessing you merely desaturated the background, and didn't do a B&W conversion. A proper B&W conversion will render a more contrasty background, like above.

Composition wise, I feel that he is a little too near the right edge of the frame for comfort. Could have given just a small bit more space on the right.

Also, what does the title have to do with the image? I feel it's not cohesive.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    IMHO, the colour accenting doesn't work here. pictureperfect is sort of right in saying that the subject comes off stronger colour accenting when it is boldly coloured, like here:

The black and white background is also not contrasty enough. I'm guessing you merely desaturated the background, and didn't do a B&W conversion. A proper B&W conversion will render a more contrasty background, like above.

Composition wise, I feel that he is a little too near the right edge of the frame for comfort. Could have given just a small bit more space on the right.

Also, what does the title have to do with the image? I feel it's not cohesive.
    thanks for your comment. Nice pic you shared.
    for the b&w bkgnd, i used manual adjustment for the saturation and added blur filter with some noise for the grainy effect. The old man, I did a bit of level and sharpening, which resulted the subject looked c&p to the background, hahaha.....
    Noted the commend on cropping. I did the cropping to remove distraction of other old folks behind and beside him.
    As for the title:thanks, but it's just my own sentiment at the time of naming the title.