Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Raffles JC controversy

So far, I would only that the student filming it and publish it on the internet is wrong.

As to teacher scolding....

As to teacher tearing up the work.... eh...cannot comment as I do not know how bad or often that student had been 'testing' the teacher.

I think we Clubsnappers here all grow up in different era thus have different views regarding teaching and teachers (from the student point of view, since all have been students before, but not all are teachers)

that's why i prefer my school more - hcjc

Not sure if any of you have noticed this in the video, but at the end of the video, you could hear the student recording the scene down mutter "Yes!" This means that most probably, whatever action he did did was pre-arranged with the student who was being scolded at that time in an attempt to villify the GP teacher. I was in RJC for 3 months and well, this particular GP teacher is very disliked by the students.. especially JC1s.. I won't be surprised if this is a "ploy" to bring her down.. Perhaps this is the reason why the boy was punished although he may seem very innocent on the outside

My class had a discussion about this issue during GP period.. well.. what i feel is that what the teacher did was well within her limits as a teacher.. The problem is being over-dramatized by the media..

I'm pleased that even students stand on the teacher's side upon careful consideration of the situation. This is definitely a more sensible way of looking at things than to mindlessly accuse the teacher right from the start just because of some personal prejudice.

Anyway, "crafty old rat" is an example of literary terms used commonly in English literature. Those who read Shakespeare often will understand what I mean.

Off Topic: If you are queuing in the public, and a long-hair girl in front keeps shaking her smelly hair, hitting you hard in the face. Likewise, you can tell her "stop shaking your gory lock at me". How do you think she would interpret it?

psyche
    Guests

Hi innovas1, you sounded like you went through so much!!! You didn't feel something was wrong when you got back your graded homework? But I can understand how so fearful we were at primary school level that we didn't even question the fundamental issues.

Just a question: Did you feel what you have gone through developed you into the person you are now?

Oh yes, the slaps and all that..I got it when I was a primary school boy. Slaps for not giving the exact definition from a pri 4 textbook of what a perpendicular line is. Canned the number of times my marks differed from two consecutive tests. So I might score a good 90 now but from the teacher's record, if I did a 95 last time, I'd received something like 5 strokes of the cane! Would you believe it?!

Slapped in pri 6 bcos we were sweaty after recess time from playing soccer. All boys involved would line up 1 row in front of the class. Then the teacher would go down the line and slap our cheeks!

Whoa, I grin now as I type this. So ridiculous right?

Btw, are you trained in psychology?

About Army now... WWoooow, I can't believe about mother's complaining to the army captain that her son needs air-con room!!! During my stint almost 10 years ago and I thot my life was good already back then. These days, they don't have to sweep the floor I heard, toilets will be cleaned by contractors?, no need to wash utentils, food provided by external caterers and sometimes they travel on air-con buses for rifle range pratices!!! Yeah, I would think the younger generation have it too soft these days. Opps, makes me feel old saying this! Someone commented to me that Army these days are like boy scout training.

Wow, haven't been in here for such a long time. Never expected dis topic to pop up! Looks like it's some really hot topic.

Anyway, I am pretty sure that all of us, including now, are thinking back of the old days as we relate or think of the past incidents.

However, we see it from a student's viewpoint. With technology, this entire incident had been recorded down, posted on the net to let ppl view the incident and to see both sides of the coin (kinda like we're relating our stories, but only we see it entirely in the video clip. Given past incidents, we can only remember things thru our personal perspective).

Nothing much to it though.

As for 'damaging the school's reputation', dat's wad the principal thinks anyway (since RJC is such a 'prestigious' college). Any bad incident must be covered up so as discourage other ppl frm raising controversial issues on RJC.

Punishing the whistleblower for 'tarnishing RJC's image'? Dat's outright lame. To hell with Images and Reputations in Schools. The school is nothing more a place where educators shape and mould the mind of a young adult, not something to be flaunted like some handbag brand.

though the 'talking down' as displayed in the video is really nothing compared to the actions of teachers from hell whom we all have encountered in one class or other, i applaud the whistle blower because the extent of the reaction sparked from the posting online, will hopefully make the MOE dodos sit up and do something about the sadists that so many teachers are.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123