Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Raffles JC controversy

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on this...

Originally posted by VincentLin
    I come from a place where people sit in ovens that has wheels.

Don't get me started on how dangerous to have an oven overturn on you.
    AI or tankee? Tough guy......

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on this...

Originally posted by yaoxing
    AI or tankee? Tough guy......
    Nah. AI no brain one. Tankee only cooks in the oven.

I ride a bike and carry a small rifle.

That was then, now downgrade liao. I'm a CLUCK.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on this...

u were a scout??

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on this...

Nah. AI no brain one. Tankee only cooks in the oven.

Hmmmm...... good, at least you learn to be tactical in whatever you do next time.

For me, my job is to find out what you know and update my boss.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on this...

Originally posted by gnail
    u were a scout??
    Was.

It was fun.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on this...

Originally posted by yaoxing
    Hmmmm...... good, at least you learn to be tactical in whatever you do next time.

For me, my job is to find out what you know and update my boss.
    Well... I do scare my own people most of the time.

Imagine two pairs of hands that grabs your legs from underneath the growth and swears at you for stepping on the wrong spots. Hahaha... I did that... It was real fun.

Now... no more liao. Back to reality and the rat race!

psyche
    Guests

Hi all!!! Wow, thanks for the response, I really enjoy reading all your posts! Keep them coming ok! I'll share mine too along the way.

First things first... Goldmember and Yaoxing...I can see both of you are extremely passionate about your strong stands... but let's all be friends and see the other's point of view. There will be some points very dificult to accept or that we may disagree upon vehemently but do let them pass... We can still maintain our stand without having to agree with the other. but let's not attack each other okie? Shake hands?

I think it's a difficult case to handle here cos the public has not really been told the actual scene that happened. It's dangerous for us to jump to conclusion. This would make a very good psychology study about perception.

When I first read it, my human instinct was to side with the student who captured the scene on his PDA(?) and the PRC one. I just empathized immedaitely all those nonsense I went thru back in the 80's and early 90's as a student.

But if the PRC student had say, drawn something disgusting or humiliating towards the teacher, then yes, I would have tore the paper too. Otherwise, tht's the part I think it was uncalled for on the teacher's part.

About PRC students... well, I dunno how to describe them... In singapore, there's a mad craze to accept people from PRC to wrok and study. I was from NUS. And I can tell you, in Science and Engineering canteens, sometimes I felt (as I jokingly told my friends) like I was in a China university! You got lecturers, researches and students from China in sight practically everywhere. Even where I work now, these PRC's are here in pretty large numbers too.

I can't generalize all are bad, hey I've met some who are really wonderful, helpful and friendly and whom I call friends. But I know the cocky, lackadaisical ones. Those who claim they come to NUS only bcos they can't get into the better unis in the US, those who take excessive pride in our government enticing them over as "foreign talent scholars"... now it is with these people I have issues with but that would take another separate post to relate!!!

About teaching... I love teaching. I haven't done relief teaching b4 but I did many tuition work. I like explaining ideas, thinking like the students... I enjoy learning patience and explaining concepts and ideas in different ways cos we all think differently... I like to see my students' faces lit up when they get a concept right... and above all, I like it to be in a way that they didn't have to go thru the humiliation and physical pain that I'd had when I was a student myself.

I almost signed up to teach.. you can say I was bowled over by the rosy adverts of MOE. Till my teacher friends brought me back to reality and when I heard them describing present-day teaching I realized it was quite like a propaganda. I felt MOE did not show the complete picture of teaching. So I never took the chance to teach and I'm glad I made that move.

Ok think I've written a lot here... will share more the next round... By the way, I'm not ashamed to say I'm from Pei Chun Public school. Goldmember, were you from there too? Cos when u mentioned "communist" school and described the treatment you received, that school came to my mind. And you live in Toa Payoh too? The regimental and military style of teaching there was horrible. So much fear and pain instilled in us back then.

Default Re: The Raffles JC controversy

Originally posted by psyche
    What do you think about the recent case of the student taking a short video of the RJC teacher reprimanding and tearing another student's book? Who do you empathize more? What should have been done or not done?
    yeah brother!

no big deal at all.
    i wonder what's the fuss with screaming down at a student's face, tearing up his work?

it HAPPENS all the time at top colleges just that this is one unfortunate case left 'seeing the air'.

these smarty pants should gear themselves up for more of such treatment. hey, they are mostly scholars and future pillars of the nation! if such a small setback and they all falter, it would be drastic... but then again, these smarties are so used to success and more success, one wonders what they would do when faced with just one failure?

such as the above mentioned incident, now the student has become overnight 'SUPERSTAR'... wonder how he's coping with it psychologically wise....

such a small drawback, surely its a good experience now to endure such fierce criticisms and the 'hair-dryer ala ferguson' treatment in ur face...

maybe we, from the older generations, are able to emphatise more wth the teacher.

just unfortunate that this is filmed down ala the hit dumbo show style, JackA**

yeah babe yeah!!

p.s. u can download the clip from kazaa. search RJC. not sure if anyone still sharing that file though.

I didn't know such things still happen today. I thot it only happend back in the 80's, where as a student, you can't imagnine then the kinds of treatment we had to go thru, eg: Teachers pinching, pulling, slapping girls' cheeks till they were red (and of cos they were tearing like crazy), using canes to beat the legs and bottoms, throwing exercise books from 1 end of the classroom to the other, standing on tables and chairs bcos of too much noise, etc etc...

For me, given my maturity now, and lack of fear for techers, I'd walked over and given her a good piece of advice: "I'm sure there's a better way to sort this out! Now put that book down!"

Please do share yor experiences as a student, present and past!!!
    I encountered such teachers before when I was in primary 1-3 in the late 80s. My English/Maths teacher(for pri1-3) pulled my hair, pinching my cheeks(a few scars there now), flung my books, caned my hands. I was so innocent then. She beat me mostly because she hated the sight of my plump sister who was 3 yrs older. How could she do this to me? I was grossly underweight with a slight bulging belly (a sign of malnutrition). She called me a scrawny monkey. I always got my pencils and erasers stolen. And it was when i rubbed a hole in my workbook/jotter book(the pages were so thin and of lousy material), she flung the book out of the classroom. MY ears were totally red in front of my other classmates. I was only 7years old. She pulled my hair and slapped my hair for being untidy.

It was in middle of primary three when I was diagnosed having a heart problem, that she stopped her ill treatment. She gave us(the poor, the sick, single-parent child) free milk when there was any extra, especially me, coz I was poor and ill. After that, she retired 2 or 3 years later and opened her toy shop for kids as she loved kids very much, she claimed.. I think she had a heart attack before her retirement. By the way, I had a great group tutor, Mr Lin who helped me improve my studies by leaps and bounds. Soon, I topped his tuition class. He said I belonged to the gifted level but I was running a high fever when I had the gifted streaming tests. By the end of primary 3, I had already finished reading and understanding primary 4-6 english and maths textbooks.

In pri 2,
    There was a boy who had almost the same name as me and I was constantly caned bcoz the group leaders always passed my spelling books(eng+chinese) to him and his to me. I scored quite well but he always failed, so the teacher would cane me. As a kid, you wouldn't check the cover page. Once, we handed in excercise books in advance. The boy did not hand in his exercise book, but took mine to use during spelling, a poor gal like me had to fork out another 40cents to get a new book. I insisted that I handed in but chinese teacher shouted at me for being a liar and threatened to cane me. The next week, I got my book back and I scored 96marks but that idiot failed miserably. I was canned. When I got back both books, I tore away the idiot's writings, else my mum and dad would cane me again..

I had Ensemble on sat and there were so many members from primary 1-6. There were only 2 toilet cubicles and there was a long q, some of the bigger-sized gals were jumping queue. My friends and I had no hope of going to those toilets as the given time was only ten mins. We went to the teachers' toilet on the same level as we couldn't take it any longer, we could not endure for another 2 hrs. We went up all the floors but all the other floors' toilets were locked. My pri 2 chinese teacher also used the toilet and and caught us in there. (tell u something: the teachers' toilets were really disgusting.. the doors were so short and yet built so high up, when a shorty me stood up, i could see my friends' head in many cubicles away from me) She queued us all up, took down our names. SColded us while twisting our ears and we were told that the teachers' toilets are out of bounds to us. My ear still hurt many days after that incident. I think it tore away from my face. Although it has since recovered, the incident left an emotional scar in our lives.

Who was there to witness our pitiful sights? Who came to our rescue? Where was the fairy godmother that we read about in our storybooks?

Today, my school has shut down and students and some staff were incorporated into another pri school..
    Last edited by innovas1; 19th July 2003 at 09:50 AM.

Default hmm

maybe boys can take it better.
    but still could be damaging psychologically.

as we grow up to become MAN... then its damaging to our over inflated EGOs... haha

Saw the video, damn hilarious!!Bombastic words were used. I think the student was too dumbfounded to even reply.

i saw the video liao.. Not bad la. The teacher not very fierce what.

Last time, I was worse.. Hehe. I once threw some students ' bags across the classroom.. A bit regretful of my behaviour but i was dealing with sec 1 normal students and they were so hyperactive.. not teaching now..

just saw the clip.

I think the media portrayed not a totally accurate picture about the teacher cos all it did was to highlight the bit about her calling the student a "crafty old rat" and her tearing his homework up. If what the teacher was saying was quoted in its entirety, I think we'd all get a very different slant on the story. In the clip she actually said the student made all sorts of empty promises but never fulfilled them.

Afterall she's his teacher and she has been teaching him for quite awhile & it must be based on her past experience with dealing with him that she got so fed up & lost control there.

Actually I don't think its a big issue. Its just that today's youths are way too soft cos most of them r spoilt by their parents. One of my friend's husband who is an army capt actually told his wife that parents these days would complain about all kinds of stuff like must have air con for their boys to sleep in cos used to sleeping in aircon! Even worse was parents actually call demanding for my friend's hubby's telephone number to complain about how their depressed their son has become (ie after 3 months of NS become very depressed & took to drinking!) & the IC would be bullied into giving the number.

Disgraceful.

Originally posted by innovas1
    i saw the video liao.. Not bad la. The teacher not very fierce what.

Last time, I was worse.. Hehe. I once threw some students ' bags across the classroom.. A bit regretful of my behaviour but i was dealing with sec 1 normal students and they were so hyperactive.. not teaching now..
    What's wrong with throwing bags?

My mum is a retired teacher. 30 over years of dealing with primary school students. She has thrown exercise books out of the window. Smacked kids. But you know what? The kids love her & every teachers' day she gets tonnes of presents from them. They actually acknowledged that its cos she cares that she smacks them.

i have copied something from http://www.spug.net/forums/showthrea...5&pagenumber=7
    and placed it here.

transcript by gssq:

The correct way, alright, is to review articles, and you should *something incomprehensible*

These articles are taken from this book. In fact I told you to go and buy the book, did you mind your work?

Whatever it is. Up to now, you still have not... where are the articles. If you are as innocent as you... stop talking. If you are as innocent as you sound, where are the articles? That, it was... *something incomprehensible*

It would show the sincerity, of yourself as a media/Pre-U student, where are your articles?

*Student mumbles*

Please don't say that. You explain to me, where are the articles? What have you been doing 1 1/2 weeks. So stop trying to be innocent, stop giving excuses for yourself. I don't want to take it.

I told you already, one week ago at remedial. You I said, "Oh Ms Ho, I'm going to be a good GP student. I change and all that" I said, "actions speaks louder than words", so you are a sly farty old rat. Aren't you? That is using the literary language from my training as a literature student. I mean this is what it means.

You're trying to cover up your insolence, your defiance, your laziness, your apathy, your lethargy and your bad attitude.

You do it again. *tears paper* And by the way, your articles, ah, are all about weirdos, all about all sorts of, you know, anti-establishment, I would say, unhealthy topics. Your work is supposed to be upbeat, on current affairs. I do not want to read backdated essays. Alright, of weirdos and eccentrics? Welcome to the global village. And it's all about, you know something about politics, whatever it is.

Do you feel the deaths of strangers? The joy of men. Offer maths to the bench (?). The need for new... Fair enough, but I do not want this crap. I want, up to date, current affairs articles. All the good PRC students have never disappointed me from day one. You are the first student I've met who'll do this sort of thing to me

Firstly you're tardy about handing in your work. Secondly, you ignore the teachers' instructions, you do as you like. You do your work on your own terms. If you want to do your work on your own terms, you get out of this college. You don't have to come to school, to listen for teachers to give instructions. So why are teachers giving instructions? To help you, so you can get on with your work well *shreds homework* *both disperse*

Please do share yor experiences as a student, present and past!!!
    Ok 2 experiences:

Primary 3
    There was an oral examination. When it was my turn, one of my classmates hid my waterbottle. When I got to my seat, I asked & at first these 2 gals feign ignorance. Someone told me they had hidden it & when I demanded for it back, they chose to be difficult. I got fed up and gave both of them each a box on the ears! They howled of course & the teacher got to know about it. She came in pulled my ear and made me stand outside the classroom. Of course I went home crying cos it was unfair that I was the only one punished. In the end my mum wrote a note to explain the situation to the teacher and told me that I had to apologise to the teacher for my bad behavior. That was it.

Primary 6
    It was the first week of school & there was a reading lesson. There was this gal who read so softly & the rest of us couldn't hear her. After she was done, I was suay enuf to be asked to read the rest of the passage. I told the teacher that I couldn't hear & she said I was not paying attention & made me stand at the back of the classroom immediately. Thereafter she asked another gal to read & that gal also said she couldn't hear! Guess what? The teacher just asked the first gal where did she read up to & didn't even call me back to my seat! So yours truly kena punishment for nothing. Bitch!

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
    What's wrong with throwing bags?

My mum is a retired teacher. 30 over years of dealing with primary school students. She has thrown exercise books out of the window. Smacked kids. But you know what? The kids love her & every teachers' day she gets tonnes of presents from them. They actually acknowledged that its cos she cares that she smacks them.
    Oops.. I wonder if yr mum was my teacher...

Originally posted by innovas1
    Oops.. I wonder if yr mum was my teacher...
    who knows man... which primary school were u from?

sad as i could be; beaten as I was, still i couldn't bear to bring my school down.

Default sad childhood?

all brings to mind...

sad childhood?

hehehe

jus kidding!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast