Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 82

Thread: copyright infringement discussion

  1. #21

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    haha well yep, thats the world we live in. but i don't understand your second sentence. what context are you using it in?
    oh i meant that we are alright to use the music or song for our webby (no one complains la) but if you use my images (kenna caught) is a no no.

  2. #22

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
    oh i meant that we are alright to use the music or song for our webby (no one complains la) but if you use my images (kenna caught) is a no no.
    ooooh ok...

    as i just posted in the other thread, the use of the images/music in one's own web page, (unless it is a commercial webpage) does not generate income. But using it in a portfolio, you stand to gain financially from the works of others.

  3. #23

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    Sorry guys, one more question. What about hyperlink to the image? Is is ok or no ok?

  4. #24

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    ooooh ok...

    as i just posted in the other thread, the use of the images/music in one's own web page, (unless it is a commercial webpage) does not generate income. But using it in a portfolio, you stand to gain financially from the works of others.
    what about wedding photography website?

  5. #25
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    This is a very dangerously wrong statement to make.....

    Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    ooooh ok...

    as i just posted in the other thread, the use of the images/music in one's own web page, (unless it is a commercial webpage) does not generate income. But using it in a portfolio, you stand to gain financially from the works of others.

  6. #26

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
    Sorry guys, one more question. What about hyperlink to the image? Is is ok or no ok?
    that one i'm not sure there was some debate recently after a local company tried to be smart and patented hyperlinking, and wanted to get everyone who hyperlinks to pay them a royalty fee. I'm not sure what the outcome was, but since the hoo-ha died down i assume they didn't succede

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
    what about wedding photography website?
    hmmm that counts as a portfolio doesn't it? since it showcases works to potential clients?

  7. #27
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    They didn't patent image hyperlinks as they tried to tell people. Their patent doesn't cover what they said it did.

    Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    that one i'm not sure there was some debate recently after a local company tried to be smart and patented hyperlinking, and wanted to get everyone who hyperlinks to pay them a royalty fee. I'm not sure what the outcome was, but since the hoo-ha died down i assume they didn't succede



    hmmm that counts as a portfolio doesn't it? since it showcases works to potential clients?

  8. #28

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    They didn't patent image hyperlinks as they tried to tell people. Their patent doesn't cover what they said it did.
    so its ok to hyperlink?

  9. #29
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    I was just commenting on the patent claimed by VueStar.

    As for whether it sokay to hyperlink or not, this is a very complex area of law (and I'll admit that I don't know the answer), so if I were you, I won't venture that way, unless there is very good commercial reason to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
    so its ok to hyperlink?

  10. #30

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I was just commenting on the patent claimed by VueStar.

    As for whether it sokay to hyperlink or not, this is a very complex area of law (and I'll admit that I don't know the answer), so if I were you, I won't venture that way, unless there is very good commercial reason to.
    Aiya! Then next time I better ask my models to take their own photos......

    Thanks for the inputs.

  11. #31
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Need ur attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
    sorry bro, thanks for the correction. even when i create a slideshow to display in a wedding dinner consider commercial purpose or create a slideshow to show the public also need to pay?
    for this u need to ask for permission otherwise its unauthorized usage. from what i understand is alot of wedding photographers use music to set the mood on their sites. the grey area is do they have permission to use the music from the creators or do they just take the risk and just use the songs.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  12. #32

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I was just commenting on the patent claimed by VueStar.

    As for whether it sokay to hyperlink or not, this is a very complex area of law (and I'll admit that I don't know the answer), so if I were you, I won't venture that way, unless there is very good commercial reason to.
    Err actually, you shouldn't venture that way precisely beacause there is a good commercial reason to, because if there was a significant sum of money involved then all the more the risk of legal action by the copyright holder. ah yes the company's name is VueStar. hmmm i wonder what happened to them after that debacle.

  13. #33
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Need ur attention

    Most just choose to take the risk.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    for this u need to ask for permission otherwise its unauthorized usage. from what i understand is alot of wedding photographers use music to set the mood on their sites. the grey area is do they have permission to use the music from the creators or do they just take the risk and just use the songs.

  14. #34
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    Commercial reason does not always equate to large amounts of money involved

    But I think the risk of hyperlinking is much less than outright copyright infringement although for non-commercial purposes.

    Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    Err actually, you shouldn't venture that way precisely beacause there is a good commercial reason to, because if there was a significant sum of money involved then all the more the risk of legal action by the copyright holder. ah yes the company's name is VueStar. hmmm i wonder what happened to them after that debacle.

  15. #35

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Commercial reason does not always equate to large amounts of money involved

    But I think the risk of hyperlinking is much less than outright copyright infringement although for non-commercial purposes.
    i stand corrected DOES it constitute copyright infringement? to use, for example, a piece of music that you bought online for a party at your house for your friends? (i'm not asking a rheteorical question)

  16. #36

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    For music in slideshow... it's infringement of copyright even if you use it in wedding dinners, portfolio slideshows..etc. The original CD/DVD/MP3 you got is actually for personal usage. Public "broadcast" requires separate licensing.

    RF music should be much like RF pics... RF only for specific uses.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  17. #37

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    For music in slideshow... it's infringement of copyright even if you use it in wedding dinners, portfolio slideshows..etc. The original CD/DVD/MP3 you got is actually for personal usage. Public "broadcast" requires separate licensing.

    RF music should be much like RF pics... RF only for specific uses.
    the problem is, what are those specific uses? i for one don't know them. of course, ignorance is no defense. hmmm but i'll rmb what you say when i'm doing up the wedding dinner slides and stuff for my friend.

  18. #38
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    If you don't know, better don't use.

  19. #39
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Need ur attention

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Most just choose to take the risk.
    but is the risk really worth it?
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  20. #40
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: copyright infringement discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    the problem is, what are those specific uses? i for one don't know them. of course, ignorance is no defense. hmmm but i'll rmb what you say when i'm doing up the wedding dinner slides and stuff for my friend.
    there is the fair use defense but how far can that go before its a stretch?
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •