Thread: Help needed: getting rid of dust and speckles on old photos

Default Help needed: getting rid of dust and speckles on old photos

Hi friends
    I have a copy of CS 3 from Photoshop.
    I have a bunch of old photos that I am hoping to scan and keep for prosperity.
    But some are not in the best of conditions and I do not have the negatives any more, any ideas on the best way to process or scan them? Or do you all use the SLR to take a copy?

I am a computer goondu, so please go easy
    Thanks

An example:

Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Default Re: Help needed: getting rid of dust and speckles on old photos

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Hi friends
    I have a copy of CS 3 from Photoshop.
    I have a bunch of old photos that I am hoping to scan and keep for prosperity.
    But some are not in the best of conditions and I do not have the negatives any more, any ideas on the best way to process or scan them? Or do you all use the SLR to take a copy?

I am a computer goondu, so please go easy
    After you scan them (preferably at very high resolution), you need to work on the color cast. This one is pretty heavy on blue/red. Unfortunately, I can't tell you a simple way to correct color. It can be a bit tricky sometimes, and this is a good example.

Wow peano
    That is good!
    I know each pro has their style, but any simple condensed tips
    Lionel pm me about using healing brushes too, but your image is sharp and clear without dust!
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Ok this one is a fav of main and there are so many artifacts...
    Plus the color has faded somewhat...

Ok this one is a fav of main and there are so many artifacts...
    Plus the color has faded somewhat...

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ighsVenice.jpg
    actually,i think this 1 looks pretty good as it is

Wow peano
    That is good!
    I know each pro has their style, but any simple condensed tips
    Lionel pm me about using healing brushes too, but your image is sharp and clear without dust!
    I wish I could make it simple, but I can't. Below is a screen shot of the layer stack in Photoshop for this image. The decrease in "dust" as you call it is probably due to the layer labeled "skin softening." I used Imagenomic Portraiture on that layer to smooth the skin a little. On the sharpening layer, I used an edge mask, which confines sharpening to edges to prevent noise from being aggravated. Most of the layers below that were color adjustments.

The process begins at the bottom and goes upward, one layer at a time. I wasn't following any standard procedure for correcting color. It's a sort of hit or miss process. I just figure it out as I go along.

Here again there's much that can be done, but I don't have any simple recipe to offer. It's like solving a puzzle: You just grope along one piece at a time.

Thats brilliant Peano, I don't even remember clouds on that shot of Venice...
    Brings a tear to my eye. Nikon FG, with Ektachrome 15 yrs ago...
    Any chance I can download the improved product...

Also those filters used, are they standard in CS3 or did you have to pay for them?

Cheers

Thats brilliant Peano, I don't even remember clouds on that shot of Venice...
    Brings a tear to my eye. Nikon FG, with Ektachrome 15 yrs ago...
    Any chance I can download the improved product...

Also those filters used, are they standard in CS3 or did you have to pay for them?

Cheers
    Thanks. I added the sky and clouds -- selective color adjustment layer to make the blue, and cloud brushes (free downloads) for the clouds. The only filter I used that isn't part of Photoshop was for skin smoothing in the portrait. For that I used Imagenomic Portraiture.

Email me and I'll send you the full-size image of Venice. Here's the layer stack for that one ...