View Poll Results: Is Lee Filter worth it's price tag?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, every cent

6 35.29%
  • No, go get Tianya or Cokin

11 64.71%

Thread: Is Lee Filter worth it?

Default Is Lee Filter worth it?

Hi, I am recently looking for a GND filter and came to a cross road:
    - will not buy screw in filter for GND, very limiting
    - do not like Cokin, heard not so good things about Tianya
    - seeing many GND results, am thinking that I want a "hard" GND filter
    - only Lee Filter system has it, but it will cost as much as a good prime lens

Is Lee Filter worth it?

Default Re: Is Lee Filter worth it?

Your question is like asking do Mercedes, BMW, Porsche worth the money?

Different people will have different kind of response, only you have the answer to your question.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

For me yes. It is better than Cokin and Tianya.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

Different people will have different kind of response, only you have the answer to your question.
    this is a subjective matter, hence the poll. if there is a right or wrong answer, I'd find it in a book. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    Thanks Hazmee.

it better be, at least for the $ one pay.

depends.

i don't quite have the money yet, but when i have enough, and i will know when i have enough, i'll get singh ray.

right now, no. on the bright side, i can mistreat my tianya filters since they cost what they look like.. unlike singh ray or lee..

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

Hi Catchlights, I thought about your question again. Indeed true, your comment. My purpose is to know if Lee is really that good a filter. If so, the next question is to myself: am I willing to part with that amount of money for it. If you did experience Lee filters before, do share.

Quote Originally Posted by emlee View Post
    Hi Catchlights, I thought about your question again. Indeed true, your comment. My purpose is to know if Lee is really that good a filter. If so, the next question is to myself: am I willing to part with that amount of money for it. If you did experience Lee filters before, do share.
    Hi there,

I understand your situation. I know it feels terrible when the things you bought don't live up to its name. However, let me point you to another direction on how you might want to see this.

From my experience using the Lee filters, the plastic don't degrade or turn yellow over time compared to my Tianya or Cokin filters. It was a pain to remove the yellow cast on my images during post production initially but Lee filters solved that problem. The filter system is a breeze to use and well thought out.

Price wise, while understand it is definitely not for the budget conscious buyer, it all depends on how deep your pocket is. If you need it, save up and buy it. If you buy for the sake of scrutinising for flaws, I must say you are just wasting your time. It is just a tool for a specific job and it does what it is supposed to do. Simple as that. Hope that helps.

wonder why no one do MO for LEE filter?
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    Because not many are willing to pay for it.

Hi there,

I understand your situation. I know it feels terrible when the things you bought don't live up to its name. However, let me point you to another direction on how you might want to see this.

From my experience using the Lee filters, the plastic don't degrade or turn yellow over time compared to my Tianya or Cokin filters. It was a pain to remove the yellow cast on my images during post production initially but Lee filters solved that problem. The filter system is a breeze to use and well thought out.

Price wise, while understand it is definitely not for the budget conscious buyer, it all depends on how deep your pocket is. If you need it, save up and buy it. If you buy for the sake of scrutinising for flaws, I must say you are just wasting your time. It is just a tool for a specific job and it does what it is supposed to do. Simple as that. Hope that helps.
    thanks for your feedback. new insight on plastic degrading and turn yellow. good point. i'm definitely not going to spend money to criticize things lah. am a genuine user.

Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    ya, maybe should do a poll if MO, who is willing to buy.

It's worth it if you use it.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

there's a saying in photography - buy the best you can afford, so that you wont waste money upgrading in the future.

while the saying has some truth in it, in my case it only applies to buying lenses. everything else, i buy whatever i deem affordable and reliable for the job in view.

i was in the same situation a few years ago. toyed around with the idea of getting lee filters but balked at the astronomical price tag. i settled for the cokin 'P' series, after all, i only needed 2 GNDs and a red. i guess i can safely say they've done their job well.

you need to ask yourself, how serious are you in using them for the purposes you intended? and how often will you be using them?

for almost everything in digital photography these days, PHOTOSHOP is a fantastic tool that can do wonders to your shots. for me personally, i'd rather master it to the best of my ability rather than shelling out two-three hundred dollars on a filter system i know i would use only occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by gossipmonger View Post
    there's a saying in photography - buy the best you can afford, so that you wont waste money upgrading in the future.

while the saying has some truth in it, in my case it only applies to buying lenses. everything else, i buy whatever i deem affordable and reliable for the job in view.

i was in the same situation a few years ago. toyed around with the idea of getting lee filters but balked at the astronomical price tag. i settled for the cokin 'P' series, after all, i only needed 2 GNDs and a red. i guess i can safely say they've done their job well.

you need to ask yourself, how serious are you in using them for the purposes you intended? and how often will you be using them?

for almost everything in digital photography these days, PHOTOSHOP is a fantastic tool that can do wonders to your shots. for me personally, i'd rather master it to the best of my ability rather than shelling out two-three hundred dollars on a filter system i know i would use only occasionally.

A good advise Gossipmonger (though as seeing your advise, i think your nick name doesn't suit you[in a good way]). Do you have a few post of your works with the P filters?

I'm closing this thread now that I got my answer: yes, it is worth. Thanks for all your viewing and comments.

thread closed