Thread: Harry Potter Boxed Set containing vol.1-4

Default Harry Potter chats & Harry Potter Boxed Set containing vol.1-4

Hi all

I have the abovementioned for sale. Bought it during lunch today at San Bookshop for $59.00 (receipt still available) and the store assistants had individually wrapped all 4 books before me with plastic protective sheet.

Willing to let go at $55.00 as I still prefer the Bloomsbury version.
    Last edited by lavenderlilz; 18th July 2003 at 01:14 PM.

jcryan55
    Guests

Hi...is the set the Scholastic edition or Bloomsbury one? Hardcover or softcover?

Scholastic. Soft cover. All boxed.

Up for you. Sorry a bit OT...BTW have u finished reading OOTP oredi?

p.s nice avatar u have...where was it taken at?

Originally posted by Garion
    Up for you. Sorry a bit OT...BTW have u finished reading OOTP oredi?

p.s nice avatar u have...where was it taken at?
    yup read it liao. Wat abt u?

the avatar is a picture of a lighthouse which I took along Great Ocean Road.

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
    yup read it liao. Wat abt u?

the avatar is a picture of a lighthouse which I took along Great Ocean Road.
    Yes, finished reading it abt a week back. And now is the worse part...enduring the wait for Vol. 6...

Great Ocean Road...hmm...is it in Australia or NZ? Sky looks really nice shade of deep blue...was it shot on slide film?

Yes, finished reading it abt a week back. And now is the worse part...enduring the wait for Vol. 6...

Great Ocean Road...hmm...is it in Australia or NZ? Sky looks really nice shade of deep blue...was it shot on slide film?
    ya tell me about it man. But I think I am going to go back to reading Vol 3 cos that is where we were told of HP's relationship with Sirius.

Great Ocean Road is in Melbourne. This lighthouse is after a place called Mait's Rest (full of ferns) - got to make a left turn in one of the small roads. Was quite a long and winding drive to the Lighthouse.

Nope it was shot on my digital S45 - set to Vivid Colour setting. Anyway the sky itself was very blue - love the skies there man.

ya tell me about it man. But I think I am going to go back to reading Vol 3 cos that is where we were told of HP's relationship with Sirius.

Great Ocean Road is in Melbourne. This lighthouse is after a place called Mait's Rest (full of ferns) - got to make a left turn in one of the small roads. Was quite a long and winding drive to the Lighthouse.

Nope it was shot on my digital S45 - set to Vivid Colour setting. Anyway the sky itself was very blue - love the skies there man.
    Overall OOTP was quite well written...altho the pacing a bit off in some parts but the action parts was superbly written...esp the last part where Harry and Co. had to face off with the Death Eaters and Voldy. Yup need to refer back to Vol. 3 to gain more insights into Harry's relatiosnhip with Sirius. Still a good book tho I prefer Vol.4 (with 3 not far behind).

Oic...wow...didn't know that S45 was capable of such shots. Good contrast btw the light house and the deep blue sky...imagine if u shot wif ur F80 + WA lens + slide film and scan...can make a great wallpaper sia.

Overall OOTP was quite well written...altho the pacing a bit off in some parts but the action parts was superbly written...esp the last part where Harry and Co. had to face off with the Death Eaters and Voldy. Yup need to refer back to Vol. 3 to gain more insights into Harry's relatiosnhip with Sirius. Still a good book tho I prefer Vol.4 (with 3 not far behind).
    actually i've not re-read the rest of the books yet but have watched Vol. 1 which was shown on HBO recently quite a number of times - so much more familar with Vol. 1 now.

Although OOTP is quite well written but the ending does leave a bitter aftertaste esp cos of u know what happened lah (wun say cos spoiler) and what he realised he could have done earlier .... Actually felt quite sad - in fact felt more sad than when Cedric died in Vol 4.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Garion
    Oic...wow...didn't know that S45 was capable of such shots. Good contrast btw the light house and the deep blue sky...imagine if u shot wif ur F80 + WA lens + slide film and scan...can make a great wallpaper sia. [/QUOTE]

Unfortunately my F80 was holding negative film & it didnt turn out as nice on negative. But I did shoot on my T3 which had slide in it - that also not too bad but didnt scan.

actually i've not re-read the rest of the books yet but have watched Vol. 1 which was shown on HBO recently quite a number of times - so much more familar with Vol. 1 now.
    The movie adaptation of Sorcerer's Stone was ok for me....not really a canon translation from print to screen but given that the director had to squeeze everything into a couple of hours I'd say it was a pretty good attempt. The characters casting was pretty good too. Did u watch the 2nd movie yet? I haven't

Although OOTP is quite well written but the ending does leave a bitter aftertaste esp cos of u know what happened lah (wun say cos spoiler) and what he realised he could have done earlier .... Actually felt quite sad - in fact felt more sad than when Cedric died in Vol 4.
    Yeah. Really feel for Harry, poor bugger. Not so happy ending afterall. Wonder if she's gonna continue the same trend in the next few books...

Unfortunately my F80 was holding negative film & it didnt turn out as nice on negative. But I did shoot on my T3 which had slide in it - that also not too bad but didnt scan.
    Scan and see leh.

Scan and see leh.
    no film scanner

btw for your OOTP, which version did u buy?

Mine is the Bloomsbury kids' version.

no film scanner

btw for your OOTP, which version did u buy?

Mine is the Bloomsbury kids' version.
    Mine is the Scholastic version. The one with the blue cover. I like the little pictures above the heading for each chapters (Bloomsbury ver. doesn't have it). Also it has the listing of the chapters at the front of the book. Actually wanted to buy the Bloomsbury one, but changed mind after seeing the Scholastic ver. Lol...just personal preference I guess...

Mine is the Scholastic version. The one with the blue cover. I like the little pictures above the heading for each chapters (Bloomsbury ver. doesn't have it). Also it has the listing of the chapters at the front of the book. Actually wanted to buy the Bloomsbury one, but changed mind after seeing the Scholastic ver. Lol...just personal preference I guess...
    Wah didn't even noticed such details like listing of chapters & the little pictures until I opened the scholastic version yesterday.

I just happen to like the artwork on the covers of the bloomsbury version esp for vol.4 &5. I dun really like the bloomsbury covers for vol.1 &2 cos its just not very nice & the scholastic version looks much better. But I do prefer the paper quality & word font in the bloomsbury paperback version vs. that of the scholastic versions cos the paper in the scholastic ones r very thin.

so all your vol.. 1-4 must be scholastic too huh?

Wah didn't even noticed such details like listing of chapters & the little pictures until I opened the scholastic version yesterday.

I just happen to like the artwork on the covers of the bloomsbury version esp for vol.4 &5. I dun really like the bloomsbury covers for vol.1 &2 cos its just not very nice & the scholastic version looks much better. But I do prefer the paper quality & word font in the bloomsbury paperback version vs. that of the scholastic versions cos the paper in the scholastic ones r very thin.

so all your vol.. 1-4 must be scholastic too huh?
    Er...my vol. 1-4 all chapalang one. Vol 1 Scholastic, den the rest I think is Bloomsbury one. I didn't buy 1-4 as a set coz I wasn't sure that I would like the series, so I bought Vol 1 first (and the rest later). I think its a matter of personal preference really. For me, dun really care what the cover looks like, as long as the contents r good can liao. Fonts r alright wif me. (not so sure but I think the fonts in Scholastic version is bigger than the Bloomsbury one).

Anyway, I think we need to stop nitpicking on small details like that and appreciate what we already have. I read an article in Life! yesterday about the HP fans in Germany having to rely on partially completed fan translations distributed on the net becoz the German edition of OOTP was not ready yet. Imagine...we have the luxury of choosing from 3 different versions and these poor buggers are only getting bits and pieces of the book thru the fan translations.

Er...my vol. 1-4 all chapalang one. Vol 1 Scholastic, den the rest I think is Bloomsbury one. I didn't buy 1-4 as a set coz I wasn't sure that I would like the series, so I bought Vol 1 first (and the rest later). I think its a matter of personal preference really. For me, dun really care what the cover looks like, as long as the contents r good can liao. Fonts r alright wif me. (not so sure but I think the fonts in Scholastic version is bigger than the Bloomsbury one).
    oh actually I've never seen the Scholastic version for vol 1 in Singapore. U bought the parperback or hardback version? When did u first get to read Harry Potter? I only knew about it in 2000 after reading abt pple queuing for Vol. 4 and found one of my tution students reading Vol. 2 then.

Anyway, I think we need to stop nitpicking on small details like that and appreciate what we already have. I read an article in Life! yesterday about the HP fans in Germany having to rely on partially completed fan translations distributed on the net becoz the German edition of OOTP was not ready yet. Imagine...we have the luxury of choosing from 3 different versions and these poor buggers are only getting bits and pieces of the book thru the fan translations.
    ya we r fortunate that we can read the English version. Poor Germans having to rely on halfbaked translations on the internet to get the gist of it. Hmmm maybe should suggest that they read Vol. 3 & 4 (as revision ) before they can get their hands on vol. 5!

oh actually I've never seen the Scholastic version for vol 1 in Singapore. U bought the parperback or hardback version? When did u first get to read Harry Potter? I only knew about it in 2000 after reading abt pple queuing for Vol. 4 and found one of my tution students reading Vol. 2 then.
    I bought the Scholastic paperback edition from Kinokuniya...that was sometime in late 2001...just b4 the first movie was released in theatres here. Was wondering what all the hype was about and the publicity stills from the movie had intrigued me so wanted to read it b4 watching the movie. Started reading that very night at abt 9pm and finished the book at 2 plus or 3 am. I was hooked after that. Did u also finish the book in one sitting? I never thought such a thing would happen but it did.

ya we r fortunate that we can read the English version. Poor Germans having to rely on halfbaked translations on the internet to get the gist of it. Hmmm maybe should suggest that they read Vol. 3 & 4 (as revision ) before they can get their hands on vol. 5!
    Lol thats a good idea...but I bet most of them would have read vol. 3 and 4 countless number of times already.