Thread: Tripod for Macro Photography

Default Tripod for Macro Photography

I am considering getting a new tripod. I will be using it mainly for macro photography so I guess I should be looking for something light and sturdy and something easy to use.

I chanced upon these two tripods

Package 3
    Benro Tripod A300EX + head BH-0 + padded tripod bag. OFFER PRICE: S$158

Package 4
    Benro Tripod A350EX + head BH-0 + padded tripod bag. OFFER PRICE: S$168

in Jack006's thread (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318162)

Any comments on above two? Or any recommendation for other tripods? Sorry, I have not been following tripod prices for years so I am not sure what is value for money or not. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Tripod for Macro Photography

really wanna get a good tripod for macro, I will suggest Gitzo Explorer series...

as for Benro copy version, it called versatile series, versatile CF shd cost you around 400+ (Not sure the spec),

Gitzo explorer Alu version shd cost you around $500. Tripod weight is 2.3KG...
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

For practical purposes, I would suggest you try a monopod.

A tripod is more practical only for stationary subjects, else by the time you have set up the tripod, the subject would have moved off....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    For practical purposes, I would suggest you try a monopod.

A tripod is more practical only for stationary subjects, else by the time you have set up the tripod, the subject would have moved off....
    Not using it solely for macro photography so will still consider a tripod. A monopod is useful only to provide a little more stability for snapping fast and sensitive critters.

Quote Originally Posted by egnaro View Post
    really wanna get a good tripod for macro, I will suggest Gitzo Explorer series...

as for Benro copy version, it called versatile series, versatile CF shd cost you around 400+ (Not sure the spec),

Gitzo explorer Alu version shd cost you around $500. Tripod weight is 2.3KG...
    Budget wise would prefer something below $200.

What are you taking macros of?

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    What are you taking macros of?
    Mainly nature stuff like insects, flowers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    Not going to be terribly useful for insects. And every time I try to use mine for flowers, the wind picks up I like my Benro (A227n6, now discontinued) and it's been reliable, in addition to being very stable and solid. A few others commented that the locking mechanism (twist lock) failed to hold the legs in place after some time - mine's been fine and it's been over a year. On the other hand, the climate here is much milder than Singapore (my indoor hygrometer tells me it is 54% humidity now in my dining room) and the tripod doesn't get much abuse.

I'm not sure about Benro's head though. There's two conflicting external reviews given in one of the recent Benro threads here.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397550

What I'm concerned about with Benro is that unlike more reputable brands, they may not be as concerned about their reputation, and will likely change their manufacturing methods and material over time, and their motivation for doing so is likely cost cutting.

Go down to Jack's store in Peninsula to check it out in person (and if you see him, ask him about the receipt for the China Earthquake donation that he promised to post).

For your budget I don't know of any head / leg combo that fits. Mine's probably around there (Manfrotto 488RC2 for US$100, Benro A227n6 for US$60) but I bought the legs in Beijing, when the yuan was 7.7 to the US$. The Manfrotto legs alone are going to be S$200 or more, forget about Gitzo. I've heard some people mention the Slik Pro 700 DX but have never used it myself.

Good luck with your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    Not going to be terribly useful for insects.
    98% of my marco shot is on tripod.

For tripod, not very sure about benro, but usually will be quite fine as most of the time we are shooting a very low angle.

The most important is the ballhead quite i don't recommand benro. The most problem will cheaper ballhead is that it will experience some creep and it will make it more difficult to composed, (of course this don't apply to those so call "shoot and crop crop crop" macro shooter).

Invest in a better ball head and it will last and easiler to add on other equipment like flash bracket on it.