Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sale of Car Surprise - Split from FS: BMW 318iA

Originally posted by ralphii82sg

sniperD: rex....Buy~Buy~BUY!!!
    Let's see... SGD$120K + SGD$8K into rockfort sound system, SGD$10K for tune ups..... hmmm..........

still no $$$$

i ride a bike!

convenient as hell, with virtually no traffic jams, free parking in most shopping centres, and fuel consumption of like $15/week.

BUT...

will soon be looking around for a car... as I see it as more suited for family use. necessity, no. convenient, yes.

I think helicopter best lah

Originally posted by sprockett
    uhh... for that you need parking lots the size of 1/2 a football field.

not to mention you can't be discreet anywhere you go. that means no more late nights out, and no more going to ur favourite lovers' haunt in the middle of the nite.

Originally posted by Parchiao
    Logic is incorrect to just calculate the annual depreciation. The cost of owning a lager capcity car results in higher road tax, higher fuel consumption (definitely higher here), and if it is an european marque such as the BMW here, there is the higher cost of maintenance. Compared to a 1500cc or 1600cc all nippon Honda, Toyota or Mitsubishi, you will not only save on lower maintenance costs, better fuel consumption, but the more importantly the lower interest costs from your loan for an equivalent 2 to 3 years old car owing to a lower overall outlay.
    sorrie...but i guess u might have misunderstood...calculating annual deperciation is just a way to gauge whether the car is a good buy... anyway...a 1.6l honda civic SiR aka ek4 manual can have a yearly depreciation of up to $9K

cos of...condition and milage also plays a part in decisions... then again..its unfair to compare a 2l to a 1.5l or 1.6l japanese/korean car...they are in 2 different league...u can compare the s-league and the english premier league and expect them to be just as exciting...

anyway, interest cost is calculated base on how much loan u take out and the amount of time to repay it...u can buy a german car and take a low amount of loan for 3 yrs and a japanese car with high amount of loan for 6 yrs...still, interest cost for the japanese car will still be higher...

anyway...not all 1.5l or 1.6l japanese cars are lower in maintainance cost...

anyway...just my $0.02

Originally posted by SniperD
    Let's see... SGD$120K + SGD$8K into rockfort sound system, SGD$10K for tune ups..... hmmm..........

still no $$$$

keke orion system no good?

10k for tune ups a bit not enough hor?

sequential boost controllers, twin plate clutch, blow off valve, meters, performance brake pads.......*faints before i get to the end of list*

regards
    my flickr account

Originally posted by sprockett
    I also agree... its one of my regular mode of transportation!

Originally posted by ralphii82sg
    sorrie...but i guess u might have misunderstood...calculating annual deperciation is just a way to gauge whether the car is a good buy
    Yes, you are correct to say that comparing the depreciation value of each car will give you an idea of how good a buy it is, but this is applicable especially to second hand cars, when the first buyer has already taken the first hit, when the depreciation value is highest during the first few years. I don't deny that it is a good formula, but it is only but one element of determining if a car is expensive or cheap.

A little off topic. One aspect that most of us never consider buying a new car is illustrated in this pdf file. http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/update..._Cost_2003.pdf This pdf file will show the price of a car to the distributor, and indicative selling prices of the car to buyers. The difference is the markup that the seller earns, and bulk of this amount is normally written off after the first few years, on top of the annual depreciation of the cost price. As such, a straight line depreciation is not effective in determining how good car's price is.

I am not too sure where you got your $9K depreciation value from, but the you might want to explain the circumstances under which you derived your value. A new car's depreciation value tends to be higher in the early years, and the rate of depreciation tapers off over time. If you are referring to the average depreciation of a Civic over the last 3 to 4 years, for one that was purchased 3 to 4 years ago, it is very highly possible, but than again, the depreciation of a BMW for the first 3 to 4 years is relatively higher than the average of the latter 7 years. If you want to compare the depreciation value of a BMW against a Honda, we should compare them with current prices, not current against past prices. The BMW will definitely be much more expensive, for the correct reasons.

Why compare a 1600cc against a 2000cc or 1800cc car? When we buy a car, we often have a limited sum of money to pay upfront, same goes for a house, and we start from this angle, limited resources. Suppose that you have $30K, and you could buy a 3 year old 1800cc BMW, or a brand new 1600cc car 'any brand of your choice, but of the same value', the 1600cc car may be a better buy, because you get three more years out of it. The same may not be true for other countries, as you don't have a COE system there. In the event that you decide to look for a 3 year old 1600cc car, chances are that it will be cheaper and you will have to borrow less, as such less interest incurred. Even if we are to compare the BMW against a brand new 2000cc japanese make, the letter will cost only but fractionally more, and this may a better choice.

Of course, if we have very strong preferences, then any argument becomes subjective. To some people, nothing but a BMW will do, even if it means higher maintenance cost.

All said, like most people in Singapore, buying a car is based how much you can get out of their limited resources, not just the yearly depreciation. This is why we see so many Corollas, Sunny's and Lancers on the roads. No comments on the S league, cause I don't think that I will be able to maximise my money.
    Last edited by Parchiao; 18th July 2003 at 10:47 PM.

eh ... after scanning through all those long long long posts ... i wanan ask .. is the car been sold ??? if sold, to who ???

the car is still around, you interested

Originally posted by zekai
    the car is still around, you interested
    well...interested...but not now

maybe next yr when my current one is due for scrap in 2005

anyway...its a good car (speaking from past experiences with the 320i)

up for u~!!!

Originally posted by SzennyBoy
    I also agree... its one of my regular mode of transportation!
    u pilot ar?

Originally posted by Jer76
    u pilot ar?
    No, me passenger... We take them to get onto our offshore vessels and rigs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12